Video pits iPhone 5s Touch ID against Samsung's Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thismarty View Post

Either I've got one seriously unusual set of thumbs or TouchID is a 99% marketing.

I'm on my fourth iPhone 5S and I still can't get TouchID to recognize one of my thumbs for more than a day. Works great right after training, requires multiple attempts a few hours later, won't work no matter what the next day, if not earlier.

The only thing TouchID is good for IMHO is making Siri seem to suck less.

That's too bad for you.

My 5s works perfectly fine each and every time.  I have not had to retrain it once since the day I got it, which is release day.  My girlfriend's 5s, which she also received the same day, works perfectly fine, too!  In fact, I've only trained ONE of my fingers on her iPhone 5s and it's been working for me EVERY TIME I use that one finger to unlock her phone.

• Reply 22 of 89
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Mine worked fine until I put it in a fully enclosed waterproof case, iOS 7.1 came out and that fixed it most of the time.

If I take it out of the case it works all the time.

• Reply 23 of 89
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's important to never declare the iPhone the winner, if you want to maintain "street cred" with the spec chasers who proclaim Apple's 64-bit is a gimmick.

I think the universe just folded in upon itself :-)

• Reply 24 of 89
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Except for the way the device scans the finger the Samsung functionality is very very similar to Apple's. Go figure.

• Reply 25 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While a clear "winner" was not decided, the overall tone of the video seemed to be in favor of Touch ID in terms of usability. Samsung does, however, include a few tricks not yet available on the iPhone, the most prominent being payments integration with PayPal.

I think it's pretty clear that Apple purposefully limited Touch ID's initial capabilities to allow time for the technology to be accepted. Remember how many people there were trying to circumvent Touch ID when it first came outI'd be very surprised if touch ID didn't eventually substitute for a password for almost every instance of user authentication in iOS, including internet logins and mobile payments.

That said this cautiousness was one of the reasons I decided to forgo an upgrade and wait for the iPhone 6.

• Reply 26 of 89
    I hope people don't try this and get turned off to fingerprint scanners before they give the iPhone a whirl.
  • Reply 27 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

That looked painful to do on the S5 and he listed a sequence of caveats to it not working that great but said it works great. Yeah, but no. And you have to actually touch the *screen* to start the process? Strange implementation all around.

I wonder if this will fall under the scope of Apple's patent on using a touch screen gesture to unlock a mobile device?

• Reply 28 of 89
    dunks wrote: »
    I wonder if this will fall under the scope of Apple's patent on using a touch screen gesture to unlock a mobile device?
    Slide to unlock for sure.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    imagladryimagladry Posts: 105member
    Quote:

It's important to never declare the iPhone the winner, if you want to maintain "street cred" with the spec chasers who proclaim Apple's 64-bit is a gimmick.

That's because the guy makes his money reviewing Samsung products. He's not going to say the iPhone is better.

• Reply 30 of 89
    djkikromedjkikrome Posts: 189member
    I saw a clear winner. Samsuck had several efforts to unlock with fingerprint. It wasn't as simple. How can there not have been a clear winner? Stupid video. I saw a winner.
  • Reply 31 of 89
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    paxman wrote: »
    Except for the way the device scans the finger the Samsung functionality is very very similar to Apple's. Go figure.

There is also a gold version which, surprise surprise will be in short supply on launch.

Man, these Samsung guys have got copying down to a fine art, they leave no stone unturned in their efforts.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    nagromme wrote: »
    Something weird going on in that video. It seems to show Apple's lock-screen camera function working exactly the same (right down to the same icon in the same place) on the Samsung. Odd.

It's not odd, it's just Samsung. They have copied this and other icons ( Photo app Sunflower ) for years. It's just too expensive and not worth the time and effort to sue Samsung over these things. The money Apple could get from Samsung wouldn't be worth the effort.
  • Reply 33 of 89
    [B][I]Samsung does, however, include a few tricks not yet available on the iPhone, the most prominent being payments integration with PayPal.[/I][/B]

If I remember correctly, Touch ID provides authentication for iTunes, App Store and iBooks Store purchases.

I would think an Apple-focused Web site would try to mention this just to show Apple does provide electronic payment capabilities with Touch ID.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    My touchid works 95%+ as does most users I know.
  • Reply 35 of 89
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    How did he bring up multitasking while holding the touch ID scanner? Is this an accessibility thing? My 5S doesn't do that. Must be a Jailbreak thing.
  • Reply 36 of 89
    ws11ws11 Posts: 159member
    Quote:

Apple's 64-bit is a gimmick.

Futuremark only found a 7% boost in performance when running 32-bit vs 64-bit on the A7.  So while the framework is nice for future devices, the current benefits are quite narrow.

• Reply 37 of 89
    ws11 wrote: »
    Futuremark only found a 7% boost in performance when running 32-bit vs 64-bit on the A7.  So while the framework is nice for future devices, the current benefits are quite narrow.

It had to start sometime though.

If the 64-bit processor came out in 2012... it may have taken until 2014 to see the benefits. And we would have had this same conversation a year ago.

But since it came out in 2013... it may take until 2015 to see the benefits.

Yeah... it's always about future devices. The current devices would never had seen an immediate change because of this.

The good news is... Apple has finally planted the 64-bit flag in the ground... and now everyone can work towards it.
  • Reply 38 of 89
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

Gee, did you ever think Futuremark might not be representative of real-world usage, that Futuremark staff didn't choose the best compiler optimization options, or that the A7 might not be fully exploited yet by Xcode/iOS? In 64-bit mode, the A7 has twice the integer and floating point registers as the Intel/AMD X64 architecture. The A7 can access any byte in the entire iPhone/iPad 128 GB file system with a single 64-bit register, whereas 32-bit systems (like all of Samsung's) can't address beyond 2 GB without faking 64-bit arithmetic. The A7 has 4X the instruction pipeline length of the latest Intel Haswell desktop and Xeon processors. The A7 sits in current devices (iPhone 5s and iPad Air) and will only be exploited more fully in the future in those same devices which are available now. Don't let Apple's competitors dupe you into believing otherwise; the A7 is a fantastic development.

Incidentally, Futuremark has nothing in the App Store

• Reply 39 of 89
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thismarty View Post

Either I've got one seriously unusual set of thumbs or TouchID is a 99% marketing.

The only thing TouchID is good for IMHO is making Siri seem to suck less.

Touch ID is both great technology and supported by great marketing. (The proverbial technology/marketing duality you read about in physics class!)

Just make sure you're running iOS 7.1.

And I fail to see how a problem with one thumb could possibly make Siri any better, since that one thumb is so darned important to you.

• Reply 40 of 89
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

There is also a gold version which, surprise surprise will be in short supply on launch.

Well, they did manufacture a few hundred of the gold versions, so yes, it will likely be in short supply after a few weeks...