Carriers suggest a big-screen 'iPhone 6' could be a 'very special' success in China

Comments

• Reply 61 of 126
    my buddy's step-sister makes $64 an hour on the internet . She has been fired for five months but last month her income was $17714 just working on the internet for a few hours. visit............
    www.jobs39.com
  • Reply 62 of 126
    my buddy's step-sister makes $64 an hour on the internet . She has been fired for five months but last month her income was $17714 just working on the internet for a few hours. visit............
    www.jobs39.com
  • Reply 63 of 126

my buddy's step-sister makes $64 an hour on the internet . She has been fired for five months but last month her income was $17714 just working on the internet for a few hours. visit.................              

http://www.jobs39.com

• Reply 64 of 126
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well if it's that simple, why are we getting it in 2014 and not 2012 or 2013? Unless Apple leadership thought the large screen phones were a fad that would die out?

I think we're seeing (now and in the future) Android/Samsung's vast ideas and product launches as a TEST bed for potential successful implementation.

NOTHING is wrong with Apple proactively learning from the environment (i.e. Android/Samsung), taking the best ideas and then improving them.  Why make millions when you can make billions?!  :-)

Don't forget that both the iPod and the iPhone were merely ideas and products that already existed in some form (beta or otherwise).  Its genius was in implementation, cohesiveness, "just works" functionality and design.

In short, don't expect Apple to prematurely excrete a plethora of half-assed devices.  Leave that to samsung.

If a larger screen iPhone is not launched in 2014, however, that indeed would be bad for Apple.

• Reply 65 of 126
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Well if it's that simple, why are we getting it in 2014 and not 2012 or 2013? Unless Apple leadership thought the large screen phones were a fad that would die out?

It's easier to engineer for and until now simply more profitable for them to use one or two basic shells to cover their entire smartphone line. I'd guess Apple has realized for some time there's a large market for a 4.7" + smartphone but why not milk what they had for as much as they could wring out of it? With dropping prices for the entire category and fewer willing to compromise on what they want now is probably a good time to expand their offers. That's my opinion.
  • Reply 66 of 126
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    I need two phones while in Central America, so my stateside contacts can continue to call me on my regular number, plus a local number for my local contacts, and we are on a group plan with AT&T.

BTW does Verizon iPad also have GSM capability?

1) Have you considered a US work option like Google Voice that can then easily forward alms to different numbers? I'm thinking that if it works internationally it might save you some money and clutter.

2) I think the iPads also work that way but I am not certain.
  • Reply 67 of 126
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I wish AI would follow iMore's lead. Quit reporting analysis and checks from financial analysts. Their interest isn't in helping consumers make better decisions, it's to move the stock and benefit their clients period.

http://www.imore.com/reminder-financial-analysts-want-move-apples-stock-price-not-inform-its-customers
  • Reply 68 of 126
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

so first, it was that it was not sold on every telecom there - moved on to, there was a need for a cheaper version... now a bigger screen. Anyone that thinks young people are buying Xiaomi because the iPhone does not have a bigger screen (or was not in China mobile or they all cant afford it) have not been to China lately. That team is doing a great job over there.

• Reply 69 of 126
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Have you considered a US work option like Google Voice that can then easily forward alms to different numbers? I'm thinking that if it works internationally it might save you some money and clutter.

It really isn't too much trouble the way I do it now. I have no idea how Google Voice works, but I assume I would need a new phone number from them which is too much trouble since everyone already has my current numbers. I don't carry my international phone when in the states nor I do "carry, carry" my stateside phone when in Central America. I leave it in my car or on the kitchen counter. I mostly communicate using Skype when I need to call internationally, but as a courtesy to my stateside contacts, I like to know when they tried to reach me by phone.

• Reply 70 of 126
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    I've been saying in this forum for ages, from my vantage point in Asia, that Apple is being wiped out by the big screen Android phones. They should have reacted years ago and released a big screen phone. Seeing iPhones in the hands of people in Hong Kong is rare nowadays. Unless the iPhone 6 is big and innovative it won't do that well.
  • Reply 71 of 126
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Unless the iPhone 6 is big and innovative it won't do that well.

Sure thing¡

• Reply 72 of 126
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mstone wrote: »
    It really isn't too much trouble the way I do it now. I have no idea how Google Voice works, but I assume I would need a new phone number from them which is too much trouble since everyone already has my current numbers. I don't carry my international phone when in the states nor I do "carry, carry" my stateside phone when in Central America. I leave it in my car or on the kitchen counter. I mostly communicate using Skype when I need to call internationally, but as a courtesy to my stateside contacts, I like to know when they tried to reach me by phone.

You don't need a new number, and your 'number' can ring wherever you want it to.
  • Reply 73 of 126
    lerxt wrote: »
    Sure thing¡

We've heard that every… single… year since LTE-based phones tried to one-up the iPhone but were forced to then use a larger display to hide the larger components and battery. I don't think it's impossible but like FireTV it's great to have specs but most people want something that works for them not something they have to constantly work. This is especially true of a handset which is why the iPhone continues to dominate the world's handset market with it's best-in-class UX and why it's the device all others are measured against. I think a larger display would be nice and I think it's possible this year, so long as the display is bigger, not the device, at least not outside of reason like we see with this large, thick, 5"+ devices.

dasanman69 wrote: »
    You don't need a new number, and your 'number' can ring wherever you want it to.

Same number, too? I have a free number setup specifically to give on everyone-whom-isn't-a-friend-or-relative that will auto-forward to my cell. I wasn't aware of a technique to have someone call you at your cell which then reroutes over IP and then calls your cell in another country with local charges (unless I'm misunderstanding which I think is very likely).
  • Reply 74 of 126
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Sure thing¡

Well, perhaps he meant in Hong Kong, which might be true and since we are not there, there is no way for us to know if his street impressions are accurate or not. For what it's worth my impression in Central America is that it is 90% Android or feature phone. Mostly only wealthy people have iPhones. There are no subsidies.

• Reply 75 of 126
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Wow. You just love putting words in other people's mouths. When did I ever say anything about Apple advertising specs? Ummmm... oh yea... never.

... and it's always good to know that we can rely on you, an insider at Apple Inc., to provide us with the details as to why Apple does and does not do things.

By the way... I'm really curious as to how the 4" solved a problem over the 3.5" iPhone. I didn't know there was a problem with my Wife's 4s.

Oh boy...

The 4" display changed the aspect ratio from the 3.5" displays 3:2 to 16:9.  This was an important change for viewing HD video; notice how none of the 4" display is letterboxed versus the intrusive letter boxing on the iPhone 4/4S 3.5" display.

• Reply 76 of 126
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

One thesis I read that I can see the underlying logic in is that for people of modest means who cannot buy multiple gadgets and who want a more convenient input device the larger screen fills those multiple roles better than smaller devices. So the larger screen sized phones are a compromise for that one attainable device.

I can see that because if I were forced to distill down my 5s, iPad Air and MacBook Pro into one mobile device I'd probably choose a Retina LTE iPad Mini over an iPhone myself... a loss in convenient mobility for better content creation capability...

Larger displays are more attractive at point of sale.  Just walk into a Best Buy and browse the phones on sale.  You will be attracted to the phones with the larger displays (well, most people will be).  So Samsung and others take advantage of this.  It's only later when you try putting the darn thing in your pocket or when you feel foolish holding it to your face that you have second thoughts, but by then your money is on its way to South Korea.

I do think its a bit different for women as they often carry a phone in a bag and so a large size is not a disadvantage.  In any event, this whole meme surrounding screen size advantage will go away in six months after Apple takes away the last advantage Android phones can claim.

• Reply 77 of 126
    The 4" display changed the aspect ratio from the 3.5" displays 3:2 to 16:9.  This was an important change for viewing HD video; notice how none of the 4" display is letterboxed versus the intrusive letter boxing on the iPhone 4/4S 3.5" display.

You think that was the reason for the move to 4"? To better watch certain videos on your cellphone? BTW, movies are not shot in 16:9 so why aren't we using CinemaScope or some other ultra wide resolution. At least when you view 16:9 on an ultra-wide display the video fits that height perfectly so you're not losing any of the size like you are with letterboxing the other way.
  • Reply 78 of 126
    Quote:

I agree but I do think we might be hitting the wall at the low end with 16GB (especially with the size of the last OTA updates) and it's been several years since they doubled the capacity so I think we could see that this year.

I don't agree with @gwmac's wording of "After 7 years I think it is about time Apple introduced a 128GB option." He makes it sound like we've been stuck at 64GB for 7 years now or that 128GB was somehow possible back in 2007.

I whipped up this chart to show the relative time between capacity doubling in the various models…

We might assume that the exponentially of this effect may also includes the additional time between doubling of capacity or think that Apple would rather wait for a tock instead of introducing it with a new design.

It's been my theory that Apple will use a bump in minimum storage from 16GB to 32GB to raise the price of a larger display iPhone, thus offsetting the higher cost of materials in such an iPhone.

• Reply 79 of 126
    It's been my theory that Apple will use a bump in minimum storage from 16GB to 32GB to raise the price of a larger display iPhone, thus offsetting the higher cost of materials in such an iPhone.

1) I could see Apple doing that and I don't expect a significantly larger iPhone that is sold along with a new 4" iPhone to be the same price or cheaper than the 4" flagship. I could make an argument for why they might do that but I think it's highly unlikely. I think they'd probably make it $100 more expensive like with the iPad line, and I could see double the capacity as being one way to account for the price jump.

2) So no capacity bump if they keep a 4" iPhone? How about an option for a 128GB model?
  • Reply 80 of 126
    Quote:

You think that was the reason for the move to 4"? To better watch certain videos on your cellphone? BTW, movies are not shot in 16:9 so why aren't we using CinemaScope or some other ultra wide resolution. At least when you view 16:9 on an ultra-wide display the video fits that height perfectly so you're not losing any of the size like you are with letterboxing the other way.

I merely answered a question about what advantages the 4" display brought and that is an advantage.  In addition, the 4" display allowed Apple to go bigger in only one dimension, lessening the impact of needed changes to apps.  I do think Apple wanted to shift to the 16:9 aspect ratio and the iPhone 5 was their opportunity to do that.  We'll see that aspect ratio remain in future iPhones with larger displays.