Microsoft shows off new 'Windows in the car' concept to take on Apple's CarPlay

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    georgeip5georgeip5 Posts: 225member
    Wow and I thought samsung was bad. They couldn't even think of a deferent name. They just swapped iOS with windows. Without windows in your car it's a breeze. That's something I'll never get.
  • Reply 62 of 98
    applecpaapplecpa Posts: 28member
    I'm an accountant for a Mercedes, BMW, Ford(Lincoln), Mazda dealership. I can honestly say none of them are interested in a Microsoft product. I have asked several times.
  • Reply 63 of 98
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    applecpa wrote: »
    I'm an accountant for a Mercedes, BMW, Ford(Lincoln), Mazda dealership. I can honestly say none of them are interested in a Microsoft product. I have asked several times.

This doesn't appear to be like Ford SYNC. It looks like CarPlay which is just a UI pushed from the handset which means the automobile makers only need to support a way for the UI to be overlayed when connected. If they can set it up for Apple I don't see it costing any more to support WinPhone, Android, or any other mobileOS that makes any headway in the market.
  • Reply 64 of 98
    emesemes Posts: 239member

Looks cool. I just hope they change the name to something a little less generic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyAppleUser View Post

I don't want to be driving a Car where Microsoft software or hardware is installed.  I have no desire to see the "MS Blue Screen of Death" as I'm driving.   

Actually, the Windows Phone OS that this would run on is pretty stable. The only phone I've heard of getting the BSOD was an iPhone 5

• Reply 65 of 98
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]So there's these two guys standing outside thee pearly gates and the one guy is saying to the other, "I was driving and the last thing I remember seeing was a Blue Screen of Death."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
  • Reply 66 of 98
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    hill60 wrote: »
    The windows of my car contain live weather updates, traffic updates, directions and speed limit notifications they even contain advertising provided by billboards.

They also work as a primitive form of air conditioning when wound up and down.

You forgot location-aware media consumption. Drive by beach in summer, and you can enjoy observing some Baywatch beauties.
  • Reply 67 of 98
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

"Windows in the Car" - another double meaning? 

CarPlay is a bit of an unfortunate name, driving is a responible activity, and you shouldn't really call products that go in the car "play."

While not entirely sold on the name such as CarPlay, and I can appreciate your point of view, it does seem a bit disingenuous when all the car company TV ads seem to have the following disclaimer: "Professional driver on a closed track" as they drive the most outrageous stunts and most of those car ads have the car going to the beach, campground, concert or some other place where play is more associated then work or responsibility.

• Reply 68 of 98
    emes wrote: »
    Actually, the Windows Phone OS that this would run on is pretty stable. The only phone I've heard of getting the BSOD was an iPhone 5

My understanding is that in-car system communicates (and duplicates screen) with Windows Phone device... not necessarily that it runs on WP OS. In fact, I'm pretty sure it will be running on QNX. My understanding is that solution that links with iOS devices also runs on QNX. Considering that number of car manufacturers have pledged to support both iOS and WP devices, and are also part of Google's car initiative, I would expect that in-car systems will be running on QNX with required drivers/APIs to allow "Remote Desktop" from different mobile OSes. If tomorrow Tizen or FirefoxOS or completely new OS emerges and becomes popular, support will be added.
  • Reply 69 of 98
    b9bot wrote: »
    Microsoft you lost the car game when you couldn't improve on your Sync system. Ford gave you plenty of opportunity and you blew it!
    I don't think car manufacturers are going to go back to you for a car system anytime soon now.

From what I've read, problem with Sync was more due to crappy Ford's and 3rd party apps that with Sync itself. I think that's why Ford and others are keen on dropping their own apps (and responsibility if they don't work well) and let people use whatever apps they have on their smart devices. If maps app crash, it is YOUR maps app, not car manufacturer's one... so you cannot really complain, can you?
  • Reply 70 of 98
    macxpress wrote: »
    I think this is way too late...Apple already has the majority of manufacturers onboard and I can't see manufacturers implementing multiple OS's. They'll choose one, or the other, but not both.

You haven't heard of OAA (Open Automotive Alliance), have you?
  • Reply 71 of 98
    gumbi wrote: »

Based on one of the screen shots in the demo - I think this does.

Nokia's Here Drive is showing speed limit at the location (at least here in NZ) and gives audio warning when you exceed it... so it makes sense that the same will transfer to car's screen while linked.
  • Reply 72 of 98
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    Nokia's Here Drive is showing speed limit at the location (at least here in NZ) and gives audio warning when you exceed it... so it makes sense that the same will transfer to car's screen while linked.

Standalone TomTom and Garmin units have had this feature for years. Do any mobile OS mapping apps, besides Here Drive, offer this feature?
  • Reply 73 of 98
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member

That would lend new meaning to "blue screen of death".

• Reply 74 of 98
    mstone wrote: »
    How many people get their nav data live in their in-car system? Not very many I would suspect. Most people don't update their map data ever. For my BMW they charged me $200 to upgrade my onboard map data. I had to do it because so many highway on ramp location around LA have been redesigned that I was constantly missing exits. Although speed limits don't change that often I would not trust the data if it was a year or two old. 

Sine I have purchased Lumia 920 - about 6 months ago - I have downloaded NZ offline map updates 3 times. Complete map is a bit less than 80MB, a minute of DL time over wi-fi. They seem to be quite proactive with updates and changes. Short of temporary road-works related speed limits, I haven't noticed any mistakes in speed limit warnings - I haven't measured it, but it feels like I will be warned within 10m of sign (if I haven't reduced my speed accordingly).
  • Reply 75 of 98
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Standalone TomTom and Garmin units have had this feature for years. Do any mobile OS mapping apps, besides Here Drive, offer this feature?

I'm pretty sure I've seen this on iPhone 5s. I cannot remember exact circumstances, but if it wasn't on default app (which my wife uses), then it must have been on TomTom for iOS, a good friend of mine is using it. We travelled together in January, so there were my wife's default app and his TomTom being played with and compared while I was driving, thus the confusion :)

Default Android app doesn't have it, but another friend of mine - this one Android user - mentioned that he was using alternative, free app for a while that did have speed warnings. He reverted back to default app, tho... don't know what problems he had with that alternative solution.
  • Reply 76 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Microsoft's current MyFordTouch system displays Speed Limit information, although not nearly as prominently as in the Windows in the Car demo. It only appears when you are in the GPS portion of the system, but It is impressively accurate, updating within feet of the physical signs.

• Reply 77 of 98
    djkikromedjkikrome Posts: 189member
    Like other MS demos, a crash in demonstrations. Consistent with all other demos. I love those parts of their presentations. It's so funny. Texting while driving is way safer than trying to get the OS in dash to reboot or fix itself while the person is driving.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    I drive a 4 doors sedan, which means I've already got 6 windows. Thx, I don't need any new ones!
  • Reply 79 of 98
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

Like other MS demos, a crash in demonstrations. Consistent with all other demos. I love those parts of their presentations. It's so funny. Texting while driving is way safer than trying to get the OS in dash to reboot or fix itself while the person is driving.

1) This software doesn't run in the dash. Read the article.  It runs on the phone, and is projected as an overlay to the in-dash system using MirrorLink.  I imagine this is probably an extension to the driving mode that is already built into windows phone 8.

2)  This is an early concept.  This is not production ready code, it is only being shown to show where MS is headed.

If you don't understand that even production quality released code of any complexity almost certainly has defects - why would you be surprised at seeing this in a non-production early prototype? 

• Reply 80 of 98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

CarPlay is a bit of an unfortunate name, driving is a responible activity, and you shouldn't really call products that go in the car "play."

Well, CarResponsibility really doesn't have that ring to it...