Sandbag

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited April 2014

Just got Safari 7.0.3 update which mentioned 'sandbagging' but doesn't explain it.  I can't find the right combination of words to google it. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    http://alistapart.com/article/sandbags

Lucky it didn't refer to teabagging
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Just got Safari 7.0.3 update which mentioned 'sandbagging' but doesn't explain it.  I can't find the right combination of words to google it. Any suggestions?

Could have sworn it said sandboxing.

• Reply 3 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

You're right. My face is red! 

• Reply 4 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    sequitur wrote: »

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sandbagged

"The act of undermining someone else's opinion subtly, yet in a public area, to make him/her appear foolish."

I think you just got sandbagged in the process of finding out what it means. The circle is complete.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sequitur wrote: »

Funny how our brains work. Our own 'auto complete' doesn't work 100% of the time.
  • Reply 6 of 6

sandboxing ... to oversimplify it, the OS is designed so that all running apps are allotted a "space" to run in, and get copies of any system resources they need... they don't share the "space" or their "copy" of the resources with any other running app... it's designed to avoid conflicts between running apps, and also provides a measure of security, in that one app can't "affect" any other app without going through the OS and it's security controls.

(Without sandboxing, an intentionally nefarious app could theoretically cause all sorts of bad problems with other apps and the possibly OS itself... like a trojan horse, if they could just get you to load and run their app... Sandboxing is designed to prevent such nefarious apps form being possible.)

(Hugely oversimplified, but that's the idea.)