Intel unveils 10-gigabit Ethernet Thunderbolt Networking coming to Macs, PCs

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I disagree - there's nothing that -compels- PC manufacturers to support VGA directly on their hardware. You don't need to replace working projectors, simply support them via adapters. In turn this would push projector manufacturers into using more modern connector technology.

I'm not sure if you missed the point that the VGA connectors aren't there to plug in CRTs. Regardless some of the adapters are absolutely terrible. I've had good luck with monoprice cables that have different end connectors. Take a look at the reviews on Apple's adapters. They aren't a highly profitable item. Apple might design the the look of the external plastic shell components, but everything else is obviously sourced and produced as cheaply as possible. I've used them before, and none of mine died, but they frequently came loose. This wouldn't happen on the VGA end of it due to the hardware lock, but these really aren't an ideal solution. There are other problems. Displayport provides the ability to transport VGA signals, but it's not part of the thunderbolt specification. If someone needed to use one, they couldn't via thunderbolt. I think HDMI->VGA might work though.

Anyway you also missed the point about projectors. Some of them cost $5-10k, and they lead very long lives. These are not computers that are replaced every couple years, so anything remaining is really to support the older projectors that are still in the wild. You should not blame the oems for supporting what is required of them, especially when they only do so on a subset of their lines. Any of those companies would enjoy dropping the $2 part from their design. Apple didn't have a lot of legacy customers from that era. New ones as I mentioned tend to use things like hdmi, so this is just a sticking point with older stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

So is this accurate?

Thunderbolt 1 1-gbit Ethernet

Thunderbolt 2 10-gbit Ethernet

Or does the 10-gbit somehow apply to the original Thunderbolt too?

Thunderbolt 1 should have the bandwidth available. You'll have to wait until we find out what is supported.

• Reply 62 of 67
    pmz wrote: »
    Boy ain't that the truth. It STUNS me how bad Windows still is with anything USB. It's embarrassing 

LOL. Don't plug in your device to a different USB port on the hub, because if you do, Windows will search for drivers all over again!

I've also had Windows 7 take literally 5-6 minutes to finish installation of HID devices (using standard HID drivers that were already freakin' built in to Windows). What's more annoying? Windows forgets the device and I have to suffer through the wait again. The device was a Logitech presenter (wireless clicker for PowerPoint), which appears to Windows as a USB keyboard. Why it would have so much goddamn trouble with a name-brand USB "keyboard" is completely beyond me. On my Mac, it just works.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    Ethernet is a protocol. This isn't ethernet emulation; it's ethernet on thunderbolt.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

That is why Windows stinks!

• Reply 65 of 67
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    hmm wrote: »
    Thunderbolt 1 should have the bandwidth available. You'll have to wait until we find out what is supported.

Mavericks added this kind of functionality and it was tested here:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9-brings-fast-but-choppy-thunderbolt-networking/

It showed up as 10Gbps on the Thunderbolt 1 machine. The practical test showed a lot of overhead though and didn't get above 1.6Gbps.

"As Apple actually implemented Thunderbolt networking as Ethernet over Thunderbolt rather than IP over Thunderbolt, it's possible to add other Ethernet and Ethernet-like interfaces (such as Wi-Fi) to the Thunderbolt Bridge: use "manage virtual interfaces" in the little gear menu under the list of interfaces in the network settings.

I had the Pro bridge its Wi-Fi interface to the Air over Thunderbolt, and from the Air's perspective it was just like it was connected to the Wi-Fi network: other computers showed up in the Finder and everything. However, the Pro had a kernel panic and the Air had a hard time copying files or loading web pages. Could be a side effect of the creative take on TSO, or maybe something else is going on."

Maybe Intel's implementation is designed to work out the transfer speeds and stability problems.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    blokey said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That’s what they’re still calling 10gig Ethernet, right? Cat5 was 100 meg, Cat6 was gigabit…

No not so much.

Cat5 / Cat6 / Cat6a etc are the quality (and type) of cable.  Higher speed networking usually requires a decent cable, but you can run 1000BASE-T with Cat5 perfectly fine.

Cat5 is gigabit. Cat6 is ten gigabits.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Ethernet is a protocol. This isn't ethernet emulation; it's ethernet on thunderbolt.
    Ah, thank you ... so basically, when connecting to another Thunderbolt capable device, I won't need my Ethernet adapter.

And Thunderbolt 3 is changing to USB-C connectors. So it looks like I just replaced one adapter for another. And most networks don't have any Thunderbolt port access, so now I'll need two adapters for use with my MacBook PRO!