Rumor: Apple takes delivery of iWatch circuit boards ahead of September debut

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2014
Coming on the heels of a separate iWatch report, sources from the Far East on Wednesday claim Apple has taken receipt of flexible PCB sample boards bound for the much rumored device that could be revealed as soon as September.

iWatch

Citing the usual industry sources, DigiTimes reports Zhen Ding Technology, Flexium Interconnect, Holding and Career Technology have each delivered FPCB proofs to Apple for validation before going into production. The people claim Apple will unveil the so-called "iWatch" in September.

According to the publication, the three circuit board makers are apportioning funds for a build-out of current manufacturing facilities to handle an expectedly high number of orders from Apple. Mass production will supposedly ramp up to a release date in September and throughout 2014.

Zhen Ding, reportedly Apple's largest existing FPCB supplier, plans to invest more than $100 million to boost production capacity for the iWatch, large-screen iPhones and iPads. Flexium is said to be spending between around $50 to $66 million for a ramp-up of mid- and high-end FPCB products, while Career will inject roughly $33 million on its facility expansion.

Wednesday's rumor is line with a questionable report from China's Economic Daily News, which on Tuesday said Quanta Computer won an exclusive contract to build the iWatch ahead of its release in the third quarter. The device will supposedly boast custom-made chips and a sapphire glass screen.

With the iWatch rumor mill churning at full speed, another report claimed Apple's smartwatch may include a UV light exposure sensor capable that could be used to warn wearers of impending sunburns.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

The shipping cost has to be really low.  Circuit Boards.  Carbon Footprint is good. 

• Reply 2 of 19
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    Jun WWDC ?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    comley wrote: »
    Jun WWDC ?

That is what I was thinking. Vendors would not know the launch (keynote date). They would know FCS (first customer shipment) because production volumes are required as well as a pre-FCS ramp up of volume. Anyway, it makes more sense to launch early for SDK availability as well of having a launch before production part leaks start.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    All these rumours hopefully it be a real products something I didn't know I needed but now do ! This may be a very costly year for me just bought my new Mac Pro and looking to buy a new iPhone . So might have to sell a few possessions and I suppose overtime at work
  • Reply 5 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Flexium is said to be spending between around $50 to $66 million for a ramp-up of mid- and high-end FPCB products, while Career will inject roughly $33 million on its facility expansion.

Only makes sense because even if Apple doesn't go to these suppliers, the Samsungs of the industry will surely be ordering their iClone components from them.

• Reply 6 of 19
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sflocal wrote: »

Only makes sense because even if Apple doesn't go to these suppliers, the Samsungs of the industry will surely be ordering their iClone components from them.
    How can someone clone something that doesn't exist? Unless Samsung will be cloning themselves as they already have wearable devices on the market.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    rogifan wrote: »
    How can someone clone something that doesn't exist? Unless Samsung will be cloning themselves as they already have wearable devices on the market.
    What so many seem to forget is Samsung as a manufacturing partner of chips screens and other components, as well as using the same assembly plants that keep leaking info to the press, have enough info to put the pieces together. That is what I'm sure frustrates Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    rogifan wrote: »
    He's saying when Apple comes out with an iWatch there will be a scramble by companies like Samsung to match what Apple produces and neglect what they originally designed. You need look no further than the before and after iPhone/iPad pictures.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    chipsychipsy Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

What so many seem to forget is Samsung as a manufacturing partner of chips screens and other components, as well as using the same assembly plants that keep leaking info to the press, have enough info to put the pieces together. That is what I'm sure frustrates Apple.

To be fair, the Gear wasn't their first smartwatch. In 2009 they launched a watchphone s9110 for example. The original Gear was officially their 3rd attempt, which also failed (just like the s9110 btw). So they had quite some attempts already but I just can't get excited by Samsung smartwatches you know :s, and the same goes for the most recent Gear (the only somewhat interesting gadget of the bunch is the Gear Fit, but still wouldn't buy it). It doesn't help that they only support Samsung devices :s, who's brilliant idea was that? :/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by comley View Post

All these rumours hopefully it be a real products something I didn't know I needed but now do ! This may be a very costly year for me just bought my new Mac Pro and looking to buy a new iPhone . So might have to sell a few possessions and I suppose overtime at work

I really hope so to, not sure if the rumored fitness capabilities would win me over though. If the iWatch doesn't figuratively speak to me then I'll probably try the Moto 360.

• Reply 10 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    DigiTimes = Instant rumor failure
  • Reply 11 of 19
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Jun WWDC ?

No... Run DMC.. with Aerosmith naturally... "Watch this way..." >>>> :smokey:
  • Reply 12 of 19
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Apple is going to have a hard time convincing anyone to buy this.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Apple is going to have a hard time convincing anyone to buy this.

Buy what?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    This year was going to be my 'no new stuff' year. iPad 3, iPhone 5 and 2010 MBP are all chugging along nicely... but I have been looking at GPS watches (I am a runner) for a while, but if this hits the mark, I'll be first in line.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    The Apple watch I might wait until a generation and just get a new iphone this time

In less I can convince my girlfriend to give me a I watch Christmas
  • Reply 16 of 19
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

Digitimes

LOL

• Reply 17 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The Apple watch I might wait until a generation and just get a new iphone this time

In less I can convince my girlfriend to give me a I watch Christmas

I'm preparing myself for the next iPhone. My money is ready.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Buy what?

C'mon you know. That thing people don't know they want until they see it.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    I'm preparing myself for the next iPhone. My money is ready.

Glad to hear it!