Apple explains $2.2B damages claim against Samsung from lost profits, royalties

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    If you ask the avg consumer what phone they had before their current phone or even two phones ago, I bet you most will say iPhone or an Android or a flip/dumb phone.

And you know this how? Before the iPhone the RAZR was the most popular phone (which btw Samsung copied with the Katana), and everyone knew that they had a RAZR even though the word RAZR was never on the phone.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And you know this how? Before the iPhone the RAZR was the most popular phone (which btw Samsung copied with the Katana), and everyone knew that they had a RAZR even though the word RAZR was never on the phone.

I think most who bought Moto's StarTac back in the day knew exactly what they got too. One of my favorite all-time phones.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    People would say "I have a RAZR", the same way they say "I have a iPhone". I've never heard anyone say "I have a Apple iPhone".

Do you seriously believe that Samsung has diluted Apple's brand? Apple is the number 2 brand in the world, and Samsung is number 4.

http://www.rankingthebrands.com/The-Brand-Rankings.aspx?rankingID=30
    It is precisely because Apple is the number 2 brand that it is worth copying. Copying crap has never been a good business strategy.
  • Reply 64 of 67
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I think most who bought Moto's StarTac back in the day knew exactly what they got too. One of my favorite all-time phones.

Best pure cell phone ever.

Who can forget this one from Nokia?

• Reply 65 of 67
    slicksim wrote: »

It is precisely because Apple is the number 2 brand that it is worth copying. Copying crap has never been a good business strategy.

Except that Apple wasn't the number 2 brand when Samsung copied them. So the Apple brand has risen not fallen.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

People would say "I have a RAZR", the same way they say "I have a iPhone". I've never heard anyone say "I have a Apple iPhone".

Do you seriously believe that Samsung has diluted Apple's brand? Apple is the number 2 brand in the world, and Samsung is number 4.

http://www.rankingthebrands.com/The-Brand-Rankings.aspx?rankingID=30

not sure who that company is, never heard of them.

but here is the one what most of the industries looks at, they put a $ value on what the brand is actually worth.

http://www.millwardbrown.com/brandz/2013/Top100/Docs/2013_BrandZ_Top100_Chart.pdf

Looks like Samsung moved from down in the 60th position prior to their copying efforts to now 30ths, but Apple is still #1 and have been for 4 yrs, so Apple did not come down but it help drive them up.

So to be clear, Samsung copies everyone , they not just going after apple products, they take leading iconic product in the market place and copy them. All of the copying has driven up their brand that is for sure.

I have to agree that people called their phone the razr, but they call all flip phones which looked like the motorola razr, their razr. My comment about poeple call their phone by the service provider was more of a general statement about the phone that had in their hands, most people had no idea who actually made their phone. just who gave it to them under a contract.

• Reply 67 of 67
    maestro64 wrote: »
    So to be clear, Samsung copies everyone , they not just going after apple products, they take leading iconic product in the market place and copy them. All of the copying has driven up their brand that is for sure.

I have to agree that people called their phone the razr, but they call all flip phones which looked like the motorola razr, their razr. My comment about poeple call their phone by the service provider was more of a general statement about the phone that had in their hands, most people had no idea who actually made their phone. just who gave it to them under a contract.

I absolutely know that Samsung copies, and even gave an example with the Katana. Their brand has indeed risen, and I will agree with that wholeheartedly, however I do not believe that Apple's brand has been diluted at all.

Before the iPhone, most phones didn't have a name. Motorola was one of the first, and did a fine job of getting people to know which phone they had. People still fondly remember their StarTACs and their RAZRs. I really think it's sad to see what's become of Moto. They squandered a early lead with Android phones to Samsung.