Dropbox bringing Mailbox to the Mac, launches new Carousel photo app

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
Popular file synchronization service Dropbox unveiled two new updates for the Apple ecosystem Wednesday, announcing that it would bring its Mailbox e-mail app from iOS to the Mac and showing off a new multimedia gallery app dubbed Carousel.

Mailbox for Mac | Source: TechCrunch
Mailbox for Mac | Source: TechCrunch

Mailbox

Mailbox for the Mac will sport a relatively traditional 3-column layout with a minimalist design that matches up with its iOS counterpart. Users will be able to control the app with gestures using the built-in trackpad on Apple's laptops or on the desktop with the Magic Trackpad, according to TechCrunch.

Also coming along for the ride is a new "auto swipe" feature that learns which emails users regularly delete and automatically archives them in the future. The updates will mark the first major changes to Mailbox since Dropbox acquired the company last year for what sources have said was between $50 million and $100 million.

Users can sign up for beta access to Mailbox for Mac at Mailbox's website. There was no word on when a new version of Mailbox for iOS will hit the App Store with the updated auto swipe functionality.

Carousel

Carousel will store "every photo and video you've ever taken" and access them through dedicated apps for iOS and Android, the company said. Each file will be backed up to Dropbox automatically.

The app organizes files in a manner similar to Apple's iOS 7 photos app, allowing users to scrub through their library chronologically. Users can also share media with any other person using either a phone number or email address, and the recipient is not required to have a Dropbox account.

Carousel will be available as a free download from the App Store later today.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    While nice and all, how about increasing the storage limits? I'm not even asking for Google Drive type capacity.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    2019 - Dropbox OS.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Funny this should pop up now - I am having trouble with Mail. It crashes, and search results are unreliable. Sometimes I cannot find a recent email but when I search it shows up, other time the exact opposite - an email will not show up in search. But looking at Mailbox I am very unsure - I think I'll hold off for now. Apple needs to put some work into Mail - it should be rock solid.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

I saw Carousel and thought of the meta-meta-product linkage....

Quote:

Don Draper: This device isn't a spaceship, it's a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards... it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It's not called the wheel, it's called the carousel. It let's us travel the way a child travels - around and around, and back home again, to a place where we know are loved.

Well played, Dropbox. Well Played.

• Reply 5 of 11
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

The app swipe-up gesture on the photo, getting added to the queue... awesome.

• Reply 6 of 11
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

2019 - Dropbox OS.

OS is so 1990's... it will be just DropBox...

the ecosystem.

iCloud

Google+

Office365

AmazonPrime

DropBox.

• Reply 7 of 11
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Still no comments about how much it's going to cost to store "every photo and video you've ever taken".

With the shutter-happy habits of so many people these days I can see demand for 1TB Dropbox accounts skyrocketing. Those willing and able to pay for 1TB Dropbox accounts, on the other hand...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

can someone summarize Dropbox's business model for me? what is their path to monetization? 

• Reply 9 of 11
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

They have a freemium business model. A limited amount of cloud storage (2GB for new accounts) and basic services are free; additional storage (100GB) and features (notably unlimited backups and version recovery) are available for a subscription ($10/month per user).

There's a paid business plan that supports groups of users and provides some administration tools to manage the group. There's also phone support for the business service.

• Reply 10 of 11
    marcosxmarcosx Posts: 2member
    At the speed they are developing features and improvements for OSX, I'm still going to hold out for Airmail on iOS.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Mailbox for iOS has the updated auto swipe functionality.

This app affects what happens with Mail in the iOS Mail app, as the data is linked.