Apple TV - Hello is anyone at Apple listening??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2014

I'm a little frustrated by the lack of concrete news on the Apple TV. Since the report earlier this year from Mark Gurman, I've really been looking forward to getting one.

Having said that, it seems like it's going to be pushed back to at least WWDC at this point. I cannot imagine them having an event in late April only to have the WWDC keynote at the beginning of June. I'm not expecting it at WWDC, either, with the iWatch, iOS8 and new OS X.

I don't think they'll announce it in the latter half of summer, either, because they want the iPhone 6 to have the complete spotlight.

It's likely the iPad will be an incremental update, so I can see where they will announce it then, but who knows when it will actually be launched. If it does have an app store, I would think they'd announce it several months in advance to allow developers to prepare apps.

Sigh, it is frustrating being an Apple fanboy. I REALLY want Airplay now, but I definitely want to wait for the latest and greatest. I can't justify buying the old box with a new one *allegedly* around the corner.

What do you guys think?  Is this actually ever going to happen?  I personally am beyond sick of my SUPER slow and unresponsive Time Warner cable box.  Whoever approved that interface hopefully has been fired.  What trash, LOL!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post

I'm a little frustrated by the lack of concrete news on the Apple TV.

It’s Apple. They don’t talk about things that don’t exist.

Since the report earlier this year from Mark Gurman, I've really been looking forward to getting one.

Why’d you take that as fact?

Having said that, it seems like it's going to be pushed back to at least WWDC at this point.

Something that doesn’t exist can’t be pushed anywhere. ;)

I can't justify buying the old box with a new one *allegedly* around the corner.

Can’t we all… Still, you could get a 3rd gen and then just demote it to a non-primary TV you own when the 4th gen comes out.

Is this actually ever going to happen?

IT BETTER. A la carte TV destroying both TV and Internet to the home has been a long time coming.

I personally am beyond sick of my SUPER slow and unresponsive Time Warner cable box.

Hear, hear.

• Reply 2 of 5
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    One great thing about living in the UK, I don't have to worry about being ripped off (as bad) as you guys when it comes to broadband. I get by at the moment on 60Mbs and trying to decide is 100Mbs is worth the extra cost or wait for the upgrade to 152Mbs. Then again there is more competition for customers here.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by singularity View Post

I get by at the moment on 60Mbs

I’m not angry enough right now. How much do you pay monthly for this?

• Reply 4 of 5
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I get by at the moment on 60Mbs</span>

I’m not angry enough right now. How much do you pay monthly for this?

I believe it wouldn't even matter to me how much it'd cost, just to have the opportunity to order anything higher than my current 2.4Mb/s would make me a happy camper. Especially knowing the newly installed Fiber is already passing my home but unable to order it because the stupid telcos haven't installed the required switches makes me....well, you get the idea.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm a little frustrated by the lack of concrete news on the Apple TV. Since the report earlier this year from Mark Gurman, I've really been looking forward to getting one.

Then buy one. You do realize that much of what you read on the Internet is uninformed speculation right? Gurman could be blow smoke for all we know.
    Having said that, it seems like it's going to be pushed back to at least WWDC at this point. I cannot imagine them having an event in late April only to have the WWDC keynote at the beginning of June. I'm not expecting it at WWDC, either, with the iWatch, iOS8 and new OS X.
    Announcements at WWDC are tied to software requirements. If the new Apple TV really exists and has the rumored features then it will be announced at WWDC or after. It is a repeated pattern for Apple, they can't release new hardware that requires extensive software support until that software support is discussed with developers.

I don't think they'll announce it in the latter half of summer, either, because they want the iPhone 6 to have the complete spotlight.
    Really you are talking entirely different markets here.

It's likely the iPad will be an incremental update, so I can see where they will announce it then, but who knows when it will actually be launched. If it does have an app store, I would think they'd announce it several months in advance to allow developers to prepare apps.

Which means at WWDC or after. At this point this shouldn't even be a surprise to anybody. As for developers they might not get much lead time at all, Apple TV can stand on its own for a month or two until apps are updated.
    Sigh, it is frustrating being an Apple fanboy. I REALLY want Airplay now, but I definitely want to wait for the latest and greatest. I can't justify buying the old box with a new one *allegedly* around the corner.
    Sure you can. If you have more than one TV it is a snap to justify.
    What do you guys think?  Is this actually ever going to happen?  I personally am beyond sick of my SUPER slow and unresponsive Time Warner cable box.  Whoever approved that interface hopefully has been fired.  What trash, LOL!
    Is the Apple TV going to be updated? From my perspective it is a certainty, it just depends upon which year it will happen.