Apple to roll out glut of new products in Q3 including iWatch in two sizes, 'iPhone 6,' 12" MacBook

Comments

• Reply 22 of 60
    in other headlines "Appleinsider to roll out glut of new stories today." :-)
  • Reply 23 of 60

Apple would never engage in a race to the bottom. Not now, not ever. 

• Reply 24 of 60
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Where's the innovation?

• Reply 25 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Where's the innovation?

Certainly not in your trolling tactics. Try harder.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I understand if there are logistics reasons for releasing everything around the same time at the end of the year but this seems more like a choice than bad luck with finished products you don't want to sit on for another 3-9 months. I really wish Apple would go back to spacing out their release cycles as well as having more events.
    That made me laugh then I realized it wasn't suppose to be a joke.
    It seems to be its supposed to help stock, however it may not be best for sales, as for some don't but 10 things at end of year, but 1 every 2 months.

The last time we saw a timeline like this, EVERY SINGLE POINT ON IT WAS WRONG. WHY WOULD WE CARE ABOUT ANOTHER ONE?
    I guess it's the yearly time line no matter how off, It seems like it is very ramdimized this time.

unknwntrr wrote: »
    I don't want a cheap iMac but one that gives me enough oompf for 3D animation. Since I need Nvidia I can't buy a MacPro%u2026 so please Apple, iMac 27" with gtx 880m 8GB VRAM? Please?
    Doubt of a cheap IMac, at most like MacBook Pro release new retina at $1500 minimum and drop old ones price to $1000

I could very easily see the Apple TV update in WWDC with it running a full(a lot closer) IOS 8, have an App Store for $150.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    The last time we saw a timeline like this, EVERY SINGLE POINT ON IT WAS WRONG. WHY WOULD WE CARE ABOUT ANOTHER ONE?

Because AI has a romance with Kuo.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Where's the innovation?

I believe the troll meme is that "Apple never really invented anything." So why would they start innovating now?
  • Reply 29 of 60
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by unknwntrr View Post

Since you can configure the top of the line iMac with 4GB right now and the nvidia gtx 800series can handle 8gb I hope Apple offers the option to push that to 8GB. Especially when you're rendering on GPU you need every last byte of VRAM you can get. Right now I have to render on CPU because the VRAM of my old machine is too small (1GB) for just about anything but OS X and Games…

My dream would be an i7 5th gen, gtx 880m (without the m, but thats not gonna happen) with 8GB VRAM and 32GB normal RAM for the CPU… lets see how close Apple gets to this, its possible…

Anything is possible, but knowing Apple they'll probably skimp out and offer 6GB of VRAM or something like that as a BTO. 

• Reply 30 of 60
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    The entry-level iMac already lacks discrete graphics and comes with a mechanical hard drive. How much more low-end can it get? 
  • Reply 31 of 60
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I really wish Apple would go back to spacing out their release cycles as well as having more events.

Like a lot of products, the release times are important to the seasonal events they can ride upon. The low-cost iMac is times to be a good grad gift. While Apple is promoting the new iMac, they can gain a lot of MBA & MBP sales ridding on the coat tails of the new product. All the other new products (with the exception of the 5.5" iPhone will be a great mix to put the end-of-the-year holiday shoppers into a early feeding frenzy as well as the back-to school shopping bunch. The super-duper sized iPhone seems to be scheduled when it can be produced and less on market timing strategy.

It's unfortunate that Apple products are tightly tied to only three significant event periods, but that's the nature of the products Apple Produces. Apple can keep themselves in the news with OS updates and new software product releases at other times of the year, but hardware products need to be timed for buying cycles as I mentioned above.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    It's unfortunate that Apple products are tightly tied to only three significant event periods, but that's the nature of the products Apple Produces.

That wasn't the case just a couple years ago.

I recall the iPad coming out around March or April and the iPhone coming out in June or July.
  • Reply 34 of 60

Looks like my next Mac will have to be a Mac Pro (after I sell a kidney or something), since it'll probably be the last one you can upgrade the RAM yourself AND have good graphics performance. Other than graphics, that's the reason I went with a 2012 i7 Mac mini after I sold my 2010 iMac. That didn't quite do it for me, so I sold that and picked up a great, gently used 2010 MacBook Pro 15" i5 that already has 8GB, then I put a Seagate Hybrid 1TB drive in it. This old thing runs rings around my former 2012 i7 Mac mini with 16GB of RAM. I'm sure the performance difference is the Seagate drive, but I love this thing.

Any "more affordable" Mac is going to be very limited. I want nothing to do with one. 

• Reply 35 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    hcrefugee wrote: »
    The pre-WWDC pump-and-dump stories seem to have begun early.

Some analyst's kid needs braces.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is that true? I don't know about Timelines, but the last time Ming Kuo weighed in on his Q3 Apple predictions, he got almost everything right.

• Reply 37 of 60
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That wasn't the case just a couple years ago.

I recall the iPad coming out around March or April and the iPhone coming out in June or July.

I don't know what they're thinking.

Perhaps they think they do better if they have BRAND NEW products going into the 4th quarter for holiday shopping.

But I know for myself, I have more wealth to spare on new Apple gadgets for the year when one comes out in March, another in June, another in October.

• Reply 38 of 60
    pmz wrote: »
    But I know for myself, I have more wealth to spare on new Apple gadgets for the year when one comes out in March, another in June, another in October.

Me too, and if one buys one of their new devices in October but needs to wait a few months before buying one of the others that came out around that time they then might wait for the cycle to finish before updating, but if they were spaced out seasonally I'd think they could increase their sales.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I understand if there are logistics reasons for releasing everything around the same time at the end of the year but this seems more like a choice than bad luck with finished products you don't want to sit on for another 3-9 months. I really wish Apple would go back to spacing out their release cycles as well as having more events.

They all lock themselves in the secret design room the first month of the year...and 9 months later...

...they give birth to new devices!

• Reply 40 of 60
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Agree:

1.   Its very rare that Apple releases a product at the very end of the year like the timeline implies; the one time being the MacPro last year after Christmas.    Apple wouldn't miss the Christmas season with a 5.5 inch iPhone.

2.   Apple usually times their new computer products following right after the release of new Intel Chips;  Apple is often the first company out with some CPUs.

3.   Where's the Mac Mini - its due for an upgrade this year- this chart can't be right then.