Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 6' at record levels, as new sketches show rumored big-screen de

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
With leaks and alleged information about Apple's next-generation iPhone picking up steam, a new report shows that consumer interest for the so-called "iPhone 6" expected to debut later this year is already at record levels.

451 Research on Thursday published the results of its latest survey, which suggests that rumors of a new iPhone with a bigger display are of great interest to consumers. Potential smartphone buyers were asked how interested they would be in an "iPhone 6" with a larger display, "gesture control," a faster processor, and updated iOS mobile operating system starting at $199 for 16 gigabytes.

Among those polled, 14 percent said they are "very likely" to buy the rumored device, while another 26 percent characterized themselves as "somewhat likely" to purchase one. Similar surveys related to the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5 before those products' official announcements showed considerably less interest: 26 percent total were interested in an iPhone 5s as of March 2013, while 33 percent said they were likely to buy a rumored iPhone 5 in March of 2012.

Of course, the survey is based on speculation about what exactly Apple might release later this year. But expectations are growing that the next iPhone will sport a bigger display -- aided by rumored design specifications leaked out of the Far East.

The latest such leak comes from Chinese smartphone case maker Elam, which apparently believes Apple's next iPhone will be based on the rough design mockup included below:

The design shown in the latest alleged leak is similar to earlier leaked designs, which inspired the following mockups created by designer Martin Hajek for Nowhereelse.fr. They show a thinner, larger iPhone that borrows some design elements from the iPhone 5c and iPod touch, including larger circular speaker and microphone holes at the bottom of the device, and elongated "pill" shaped volume buttons on the left of the handset.

Apple is expected to introduce a larger-screened iPhone as consumer demand for such devices continues to grow. The latest survey from 451 Research and ChangeWave found that as of March, demand for larger smartphones hit an all-time high of 47 percent, up from 40 percent in December 2013, and 27 percent in December 2012.

Noted insider Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said in his latest research note this week that he expects Apple to meet this consumer demand with the launch of two larger iPhones this year. Specifically, he believes the company will debut a model with a higher-resolution 5.5-inch display, in addition to a new 4.7-inch size.

Apple's latest handsets, the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, all sport 4-inch displays, which are among the smallest smartphone screens on the market today. Prior to the launch of the iPhone 5 in 2012, all of Apple's previous handsets had smaller 3.5-inch displays.

Apple has been reluctant to quickly embrace the trend toward larger phones as the company has been focused on allowing ease of use of the device with just one hand. According to Kuo, while the 5.5-inch model will require two hands to use properly, Apple apparently plans to reduce the bezel on the 4.7-inch model to keep it within the company's guidelines for one-handed operation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That's all good and well, but where are the rumours that they will continue to make a 4" iPhone?
  • Reply 2 of 127
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

The larger screen desire does seem to be increasing. Bit nuts, possibly its like that tail fin fad back in the day.

• Reply 3 of 127
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Jeez, AI. Are you guys that hard up for money? You are ruining your already shady reputation with the shilling for Ming-Chi Kuo. Now you float yet another "story" that points back to him.

Unforgivable.
  • Reply 4 of 127
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    philboogie wrote: »
    That's all good and well, but where are the rumours that they will continue to make a 4" iPhone?

That would be closer to a fact than a rumour and therefore has no place on the internet. ;)

I don't think we should be set on 4" though. It's the device form factor that's the main thing. Some want 4", others want 4.7", the average between those is 4.35" and that fits in the current form factor. It won't satisfy everyone but then what does? It would be a new design and allow easy one-handed use. A 4.7" would be like the S3 here:

[VIDEO]

A few of them have to balance it at the tips of their fingers and reposition it to access the whole screen. Especially with touch id, you'd want to pull the phone out with one hand, unlock and then make a call with one hand. 4.3" edge to edge makes more sense to me. There's clearly a demand for larger screens so that's not in question but we have to figure out what Apple would be more likely to do.
  • Reply 5 of 127
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    BUT I thought iOS sucked balls now, so how can consumer interest be at a record level?
  • Reply 6 of 127
    Marvin wrote: »
    That would be closer to a fact than a rumour and therefore has no place on the internet. ;)

Ok, so there must be an article on Wikipedia then¡
    I don't think we should be set on 4" though. It's the device form factor that's the main thing. Some want 4", others want 4.7", the average between those is 4.35" and that fits in the current form factor. It won't satisfy everyone but then what does? It would be a new design and allow easy one-handed use. A 4.7" would be like the S3 here: [VIDEO]

Hmm, that phone looks too large for my taste, just as I always thought. Would an iPhone with a 4.35" screen add a row and column of icons on the homescreen? I don't care so much for higher ppi, but I can't believe Apple would create a larger screen phone without 'any benefits' other than a simple stretched out screen. Developers would want to make use of the larger screen.
    A few of them have to balance it at the tips of their fingers and reposition it to access the whole screen. Especially with touch id, you'd want to pull the phone out with one hand, unlock and then make a call with one hand. 4.3" edge to edge makes more sense to me. There's clearly a demand for larger screens so that's not in question but we have to figure out what Apple would be more likely to do.

I would expect Apple to stick with their 'one-hand operation' wish, so they should continue with an iPhone with a 4" screen, or at least a FF of the same size, in an optional expanded iPhone line-up.
  • Reply 7 of 127
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    Based on apple's lawsuit notes where they knew large screens were chewing up market share I'd say their line about "using with one hand" was just PR damage control. Cook failed to produce a large screen phone when he should have in 2012 or at least '13. By making one now they concede it was the right thing to do but simply did not execute in time. They paid the price and lost many to Samsung as a result and their stock took a big hit and is now epoxied in the low 500's.
  • Reply 8 of 127
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
  • Reply 9 of 127
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I'm all in for the 4.7 or the 5.5, whichever comes first. Assuming they both really are iPhones and the 5.5" is not $299 w/contract for a 16 GB.

There is no avoiding it now. This is what happens. AI is not the only site lending huge weight to Ming's reports. He is dead on balls accurate 90% of the time, and I would take his comments as about 90% accurate to what we'll see, but subject to change.

I do its think high time Apple make the mythical 5" iDevice, with 1920 x1080 display, and all the power and radios you need in your pocket.

I saw a little kid using his mom's galaxy to make a call at the store the other day, and he looked ridiculous holding this gigantic iPad mini sized device to his ear....so I vowed that would not be me.....I'll use ear buds to make calls as I do now ;)

• Reply 10 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Yeah, Apple should definitely keep a 4" form factor for those that want a more compact phone. 

• Reply 11 of 127
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

iPhone 6:

Now with anti-grav dock.

Finally, an iPhone that is drop-resistent. 

• Reply 12 of 127
    tzterritzterri Posts: 110member
    Not sure I want a bigger iPhone or not. How about a larger Macbook Pro, Like bringing back the 17" model. Last year I was forced to be a used 17" 2011 Macbook Pro, but would have preferred to have bought a new one.
  • Reply 13 of 127
    How will Samsung and others respond to this? Nobody makes a high-end phone with a smaller screen except for Apple. They have had that market to themselves for years.

Now it looks like Apple will make large screen phones as well, attacking Samsung where they make their money. I doubt Samsung will introduce a compact high-end phone to start competing with Apple (esp after promoting the advantages of screen size for so long).

So what's left for Samsung to do? Apple is going to steal millions of customers/sales with a larger phone, while still keeping a lock on the 4" screen size. Waiting to see what feature spam they use to try and hang on to sales.
  • Reply 14 of 127
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

the question isn't whether they keep a 4" this year or not. They will either as a 5C or a 6C ( with this years internals but maybe not touchID). The question is whether that becomes a line, rather than a plastic version of last years model. If the latter the 4" disappears for good next year which would be a mistake.

• Reply 15 of 127
    pmz wrote: »
    I'm all in for the 4.7 or the 5.5, whichever comes first. Assuming they both really are iPhones and the 5.5" is not $299 w/contract for a 16 GB.

There is no avoiding it now. This is what happens. AI is not the only site lending huge weight to Ming's reports. He is dead on balls accurate 90% of the time, and I would take his comments as about 90% accurate to what we'll see, but subject to change.

I do its think high time Apple make the mythical 5" iDevice, with 1920 x1080 display, and all the power and radios you need in your pocket.

I saw a little kid using his mom's galaxy to make a call at the store the other day, and he looked ridiculous holding this gigantic iPad mini sized device to his ear....so I vowed that would not be me.....I'll use ear buds to make calls as I do now ;)
    So you think Apple is going to release a watch for thousands of dollars? :lol:
  • Reply 16 of 127
    How will Samsung and others respond to this? Nobody makes a high-end phone with a smaller screen except for Apple. They have had that market to themselves for years.

Now it looks like Apple will make large screen phones as well, attacking Samsung where they make their money. I doubt Samsung will introduce a compact high-end phone to start competing with Apple (esp after promoting the advantages of screen size for so long).

So what's left for Samsung to do? Apple is going to steal millions of customers/sales with a larger phone, while still keeping a lock on the 4" screen size. Waiting to see what feature spam they use to try and hang on to sales.

Don't know what Samsung will do, but I may have found their marketing material already
  • Reply 17 of 127
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Frankly, I don't know anyone that likes the 4" screen, including my 63 year old mother. Remember, the 3.5" - 4" screen was a Steve Jobs thing. You have to be able to use the phone with one hand, and even then it was aggravating touching the wrong thing with my thumb half the time.

• Reply 18 of 127
    asdasd wrote: »
    the question isn't whether they keep a 4" this year or not. They will either as a 5C or a 6C ( with this years internals but maybe not touchID). The question is whether that becomes a line, rather than a plastic version of last years model. If the latter the 4" disappears for good next year which would be a mistake.
    Screen size should not determine whether something is "premium" or not. That's why I was glad to see the Air and retina mini were basically the same (and hopefully this year they'll both have the same color gamut too). That's what they need to do with the iPhone. I wish they'd do 4" and 4.7" and forget about the silly phablet (or make that one the new iPod touch).
  • Reply 19 of 127
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Because they likely aren't- outside of previous models.
    If they release something like a 4.3"- and the size of the iPhone stays the same- why would anyone complain?
    Lest we forget apple went from 3.5" to 4" and not only did they not go bigger with the phone- they actually reduced the overall mass.
    Jeez, AI. Are you guys that hard up for money? You are ruining your already shady reputation with the shilling for Ming-Chi Kuo. Now you float yet another "story" that points back to him.

Unforgivable.
    So you're quitting?

I'm hoping it isn't 4.7 and 5.5- mainly for everyone else, but if it was id get the 4.7. If they do a 4.3 and 4.7- I'm getting the 4.7- so I'm covered either way.
  • Reply 20 of 127
    andysol wrote: »
    Lest we forget apple went from 3.5" to 4" and not only did they not go bigger with the phone- they actually reduced the overall mass.

Uhm, no. Although it got smaller (from 61 to 58.6mm) it did grow in height; from 115mm to 123.8mm. Sounds like a non-issue, but the phone now sometimes gets stuck in my pants because the pocket is wider than the opening itself and I need to turn it 90 degrees first.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP2
    http://support.apple.com/kb/SP685