New Apple TV box with motion controls to play 'key role' for Apple this year, but 'iTV' still a pipe

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

The day they can create a true hologram with rich blacks and brights is the day they'll release the full fledged version. I hope they'll release a serious update for the units already out there too. They've sold a LOT of them.

• Reply 22 of 47
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    There's no real sense in Apple manufacturing a TV. There's too many brands out there (and a lot of cheap ones), plus, most people only buy a new TV every 10 or so years - where's the money in that. A set top box makes much more sense. Easier to ship, upgrade/add to, and compatible with everyone's existing tv, delivering content, apps, games, internet (done right) and so on. Think of is as iphone for your tv. A whole new, better way to use something that's been around for years.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    BREAKING: Apple, a company known for 25-40% margins, not wasting time entering a market with 1-5% margins. This is shocking for some reason.

I’m still not sure how television motion controls would ever play any sort of key role in anything other than a “this is what destroyed the product line” seminar.

If you're correct, then Apple blew $360 million on Primesense.

Luckily, I don't think you're right. ;)

You're also somehow convinced that motion via a controller would be on permanently without a way to toggle it on or off. You really think it'll pick up every accidental gesture you make and bring as a finished product to market? Your quote you keep bringing up has no bearing.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    satcomersatcomer Posts: 130member

I really starting to think the first to add a hard drive and DVR for steams will win. Plus a better processor wouldn't  hurt.

• Reply 25 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

If you're correct, then Apple blew $360 million on Primesense.

Not really. It would obviously have other uses, either in patents or in people. Apple doesn’t buy things that are only good for one use.

You're also somehow convinced that motion via a controller would be on permanently without a way to toggle it on or off.

Given that the premise is that it’s the ONLY means of control, yeah, I’d sort of think you wouldn’t be turning that off.

• Reply 26 of 47
    Not really. It would obviously have other uses, either in patents or in people. Apple doesn’t buy things that are only good for one use.

Given that the premise is that it’s the ONLY means of control, yeah, I’d sort of think you wouldn’t be turning that off.

To your first point- wouldn't the parents be geared for motion? Aren't their people geared for motion? It's not like this company did a multitude of things- they did one thing and they did it well.

To your 2nd point- seeing as Apple has never done only one mean of control ever- I doubt they'd start with something as clumsy as you suggested. You can think motion control is dumb- I would likely agree with you. But no need to try to create an exaggeration of something that will likely never come to fruition.
  • Reply 27 of 47

…Apple has never done only one mean of control…

The iPhone sure lets you use a mouse in addition to the touchscreen… :???: 

• Reply 28 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Sure you can do it, but seems pretty useless.
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 29 of 47
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I pull this out a lot. Some might be getting tired of it. Still, I think it’s relevant.

=) 

Zaphod waved a hand.  And the channel switched again.

Almost scary how far ahead of his time Douglas Adams was.  Conceiving of 'wavy radios' before they existed and inventing the internet well before Al Gore or Tim Berners Lee (We just have it all wrong in calling it 'the internet' when what it really is is our guide to the galaxy and there are a million 'Ford Prefects' adding content to it).

• Reply 30 of 47
    The idea of a camera in the living room is a non-starter. Anyone who believes they can block the NSA or a hacker or whoever from accessing it indefinitely is living in a fantasy world. I love technology, but this is where I draw the line.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But customers holding out hope for a full-fledged television set from Apple are likely to be disappointed.

And we all know how cranky those disappointed customers can get, don’t we. When did the word ‘disappointed’ become engrained in the Apple lexicon anyway?

• Reply 33 of 47

as similarly posted earlier by solipsism; you are carrying around a microphone with you all day everyday and this doesn't concern you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

The idea of a camera in the living room is a non-starter. Anyone who believes they can block the NSA or a hacker or whoever from accessing it indefinitely is living in a fantasy world. I love technology, but this is where I draw the line.

• Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

Technically, it does.

Regardless- don't you have to push a physical home button or power button before you are able to use the touchscreen?

Check and Mate :smokey:

• Reply 35 of 47

Technically, it does.

I fail to see how jailbreaking counts here.

That’s a joke, right?

• Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:

seeing as Apple has never done only one mean of control ever- I doubt they'd start with something as clumsy as you suggested.

Quote:

Quote:

Don't you have to push a physical home button or power button before you are able to use the touchscreen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That’s a joke, right?

Joke's on you.

• Reply 37 of 47

Joke's on you.

Still not sure if you actually think there’s more than one form of control.

• Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

Still not sure if you actually think there’s more than one form of control.

You're whole detraction from motion control is this belief that nothing is going to activate it- which is invalid.  If there is motion control, then there will be a trigger to activate and deactivate motion control- whether through a physical button or action (clapping 3 times- I don't know).  Its not going to be permanently on and never off so anytime you wave at someone coming in the room, it changes the channel to ESPN.

Again- your anecdote is a poor one because it suggests that Apple would leave the controls clumsy and awful and not have a safeguard- something they have never done.  There is a reason there is a lock screen on a phone and physical buttons as a way to activate your touchscreen just as there is a reason Apple will have a safeguard for gestures on a TV.

But honestly- I don't think they'll have gesture control- although I wouldn't be opposed to it.  I think its going to be used for gaming and conferencing.

• Reply 39 of 47
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    Apple delivered for me over and over again
    25 years PC disappointed for 24years
    Apple customer happy for five years
    I'm glad I made the swap should Have done it years ago

Apple is one company

Nokia/Sony/Samsung are just a few of the companies I have used and been let down

Apple keep on blow me away thank you fApple team
  • Reply 40 of 47
    artdentartdent Posts: 69member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I really wish Douglas Adams was still alive...

Hear hear!