Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 6' at record levels, as new sketches show rumored big-screen de

Comments

• Reply 41 of 127
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

Based on apple's lawsuit notes where they knew large screens were chewing up market share I'd say their line about "using with one hand" was just PR damage control. Cook failed to produce a large screen phone when he should have in 2012 or at least '13. By making one now they concede it was the right thing to do but simply did not execute in time. They paid the price and lost many to Samsung as a result and their stock took a big hit and is now epoxied in the low 500's.

Thanks for the verbal diarrhea, not a word of which is accurate. Believing 4" is the ideal size, while also acknowledging internally that larger phones are selling, is not a contradiction in any way whatsoever. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by TzTerri View Post

Not sure I want a bigger iPhone or not. How about a larger Macbook Pro, Like bringing back the 17" model. Last year I was forced to be a used 17" 2011 Macbook Pro, but would have preferred to have bought a new one.

Never going to happen, nor should it. The market for that product is insanely small. 17" is barely considered "mobile". The retina MBP makes this redundant. Stop holding your breath. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimarbazat View Post

my 5s just died last night from the 'blue screen of death'. wish they will lunch this new one now

You know it's under warranty, right? Or are you just planning on throwing it out and waiting for the "lunch" of a new model? Also, that's likely a software issue. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

There are ways around size and one handed operation.

There needs to be a bigger phone, and a normal phone. The market has long shifted to bigger screens, and the iPhone needs to keep up. It's just reality.

The market has "shifted" because other companies ONLY offer their flagship devices in bigger sizes. Consumers have never had a choice. The smaller models are shitty, crippled low-end versions. So it goes both ways- consumers don't have the option of a large device with Apple, but they only don't get the option of a high-end smaller device with anyone else. All that you will see pushed, advertised, and recommended form Samsung, etc.  are the monster phones. Stop pretending it has anything to do with consumers demanding a bigger size. 

• Reply 42 of 127
    I don't get why someone would want a the iPhone to be larger. It defies the point of mobile devices, mobility. You want to carry around a phone, that you can easily slip in and out of a pocket. Why would want your phone to be the size of a small scale tablet? Just get a tablet if you absolutely need something bigger.
  • Reply 43 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That's all good and well, but where are the rumours that they will continue to make a 4" iPhone?

The 4" is their bread and butter iphone now.  Why do some think overnight they will be no more?  They are testing out the other sizes due to perceived demand.  Does not mean they will can the 4" unless sales of those went to zero overnight.

• Reply 44 of 127
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gimarbazat wrote: »
    my 5s just died last night from the 'blue screen of death'. wish they will lunch this new one now

Smells like BS. I've never seen bsod on an iPhone. Restore from backup.
  • Reply 45 of 127
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Why can't the UI be controlled at the lower quarter of the screen? i.e all layout button controls and address bar in safari etc. I wouldn't need to move the phone up and down my palm if that were the case so that my thumb could reach.
  • Reply 46 of 127
    rerollreroll Posts: 60member

Samsung and/or Google should have patented phones with screens larger than 4".

• Reply 47 of 127
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member

I remember the days when a 3.5 inch screen was the perfect size and anything larger was doomed to fail. It was the perfect size to fit in anyones pocket, if you wanted something bigger then buy an iPad and shut up. If Apple always does everything right and everyone else always does everything wrong then why is Apple following others when it comes to screen size? What changed?

Did our pocket's become larger? I hope if Apple decides to build a 6" iPhone they buy a company that sells man purses. Put the phone in an otterbox or life proof case you could use is as a floatation device. Sorry have to call bullshit on Apple building a phone larger than the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. 

• Reply 48 of 127
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

OK so we have this survey, the big dump from Kuo, Deutsche Bank initiating coverage on AAPL today with a buy rating and the stock is down this morning. Can someone explain that?

APPL goes down on all news. On good news, it goes down a little, on neutral news it goes down a lot, and don't even ask what happens when there is bad news. 

AAPL is trading with bad sentiment right now. One day the tide will turn, but until now, all news is "bad" news. 

• Reply 49 of 127
    I don't get why someone would want a the iPhone to be larger. It defies the point of mobile devices, mobility. You want to carry around a phone, that you can easily slip in and out of a pocket. Why would want your phone to be the size of a small scale tablet? Just get a tablet if you absolutely need something bigger.

Because people who want phablets disagree with you, noisily. And they speak for everyone.
  • Reply 50 of 127
    jungmark wrote: »

It is BS. A 5s would still be under Apple's standard one year warranty. He could get it replaced free of charge. But of course, concern trolls don't know that. Particularly if they are just making it up.
  • Reply 51 of 127
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    reroll wrote: »

Troll off.
  • Reply 52 of 127
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    synergy wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    That's all good and well, but where are the rumours that they will continue to make a 4" iPhone?
    The 4" is their bread and butter iphone now.  Why do some think overnight they will be no more?  They are testing out the other sizes due to perceived demand.  Does not mean they will can the 4" unless sales of those went to zero overnight.

I get that, and I agree. Still, with Apple, they have their way of killing things because the next big thing is here.
  • Reply 53 of 127
    reroll wrote: »

I would like to see them try.
    Ironically, the Google- and Samsung-apologists on these forums would defend such a stupid patent, while trashing the ones these companies are stealing from Apple.
  • Reply 54 of 127
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephFriedrich View Post

The iPhone 5 is larger than the 4, which is 'perfect'? The truth is there is no perfect and even if there was it is a moving target. What's perfect today is not perfect tomorrow. For me, the 5 is perfect but there are many that feel the previous generation was the perfect size (someone here, can't remember who, said he thought the iPhone 5 was good, he didn't 'love it'. He did 'love' his 4, however). For people  who only need a single device, and who may not use it much as a phone, a 5" device might be ideal. Apparently the larger screens are popular in the Asian markets (anecdotal on these forums). If so a 5" iDevice could be a big seller.  

• Reply 55 of 127
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

The closer we get to the release date the less likely it appears that Apple will continue with a 4" display. Yes, they will likely keep the "C" version of the iPhone as a 4" model but it will use last years parts and be sold as the cheaper low-end option. I just don't see Apple continuing to produce a high-end current model iPhone at 4" since the demand will likely die down once a larger version is released. The larger iPhone(s) will be associated with the newest specs and the 4" model will be relegated as the iPhone 6c.

• Reply 56 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

The closer we get to the release date the less likely it appears that Apple will continue with a 4" display. Yes, they will likely keep the "C" version of the iPhone as a 4" model but it will use last years parts and be sold as the cheaper low-end option. I just don't see Apple continuing to produce a high-end current model iPhone at 4" since the demand will likely die down once a larger version is released. The larger iPhone(s) will be associated with the newest specs and the 4" model will be relegated as the iPhone 6c.

Funny how it actually works... the 4S is still one of the top selling phones in Finland, Switzerland and India. Don't tell them that demand dies down for older top end phones... once they are discounted. Hell, in Canada the 5 was selling better than the 5C.

Having a top end phone in the mid tier area would, I believe, bolster over all sales.

• Reply 57 of 127
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Have 2 get rid of those bezels. 10-20% reduction is meaningless and is still not going to give the look everyone wants b
  • Reply 58 of 127
    dragondragon Posts: 9member
    Based on these percentages does anyone know how to extrapolate them into number of units to be sold?
  • Reply 59 of 127
    haarhaar Posts: 563member

I second that motion... furthermore blue screen of death applies only to Windows XP computers... ( and somewhat to Windows 7 computers)

apple's terms are "issues" or kernel panic... not to mention that people don't refer to Mac computers crashing as a "blue screen of death"...LOL, more like a sad face inside a hard drive , like the original iPod HDD crash notice.
  • Reply 60 of 127
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

It's not a BSoD like you'd see in Windows, but with iOS 7 there was (or is) a rare, but repeatable, bug which momentarily put up a blank, blue screen before restarting.

[VIDEO]