Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 6' at record levels, as new sketches show rumored big-screen de

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I do like the capability of the 5 in that you can balance it on edge. It is occasionally useful for hands free video. The new mockup appears to show rounded edges. That thing looks way too thin as well. I'm ok with the thickness of the current design. At some point thinness might start to affect the quality of the audio or the cameras. I don't think even Apple would sacrifice those features simply to win the thinness contest.

• Reply 62 of 127
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    I don't get why someone would want a the iPhone to be larger. It defies the point of mobile devices, mobility. You want to carry around a phone, that you can easily slip in and out of a pocket. Why would want your phone to be the size of a small scale tablet? Just get a tablet if you absolutely need something bigger.
    If you want a phone that you can easily slip in/out of pocket, buy a dumb candy bar phone. For more productive use a larger screen is a must for me.
  • Reply 63 of 127
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Frankly, I don't know anyone that likes the 4" screen, including my 63 year old mother. Remember, the 3.5" - 4" screen was a Steve Jobs thing. You have to be able to use the phone with one hand, and even then it was aggravating touching the wrong thing with my thumb half the time.

Exactly. The thumb is not the best method of input.

I will use my phone with one hand, and one thumb, only when I have to. A quick text, making a phone call, etc.

But when I want to do anything extensive with my iPhone... I prefer two hands.

I will hold my phone with one hand and use my other hand and much more accurate index finger for control.

Plus... I use some apps with two and three-finger taps and other gestures. You can't do that with a single thumb.
  • Reply 64 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

Based on apple's lawsuit notes where they knew large screens were chewing up market share I'd say their line about "using with one hand" was just PR damage control. Cook failed to produce a large screen phone when he should have in 2012 or at least '13. By making one now they concede it was the right thing to do but simply did not execute in time. They paid the price and lost many to Samsung as a result and their stock took a big hit and is now epoxied in the low 500's.

I agree with you 100% but I've got a bad reputation on this site for blaming Tim Cook for being asleep at the helm.  I heard Cook say that Apple considered large displays but the technology wasn't quite ready or at least wasn't up to Apple's standards.  I honestly wanted to believe him.  However there is the simple fact that every other smartphone manufacturer was able to make and sell them and it seems an awful lot of consumers were pleased with the larger displays and whatever problems or drawbacks went with them.  If Tim Cook had simply said Apple was following a specific roadmap and timeline, then I could have at least understood that.  It takes time for Apple to line up components at perfect price points to hold margins.  What Cook said merely sounded like a lame excuse.

It's true that I like to gripe about Apple and as a shareholder I feel I'm entitled to at least that much as long as I continue holding the stock.  I just happen to think that a company that has $160 billion in the bank should be able to move as fast as some of the Android manufacturers or at least stay level with them.  I know Apple beat everyone with a 64-bit processor but Wall Street doesn't give a damn about that and just keeps asking for an iPhone with a larger display.  On the surface it just appears as though Apple is doing nothing as no new products are being announced.  C'mon.  2012 to 2014 is a huge amount of time in the smartphone industry and yet Apple still hasn't at least offered a large display iPhone.  It's like Apple saying that Samsung is a more flexible hardware company (which it actually does seem to be).

It's possible that Apple did the right thing and waited until everything it wanted fell into place.  I can't run a company, but Apple does a fine job of it.  I think they should at least let shareholders know what is going on.  But yet I'm still pissed when I hear Tim Cook talking about some mythical product pipeline that never seems to let out a drop.  I'm impatient and Apple works at a snail's pace while Samsung puts out some mobile product every couple of weeks.  I don't care about how often Apple puts out new products but Wall Street definitely does and Apple's share price shows it, as you succinctly said, epoxied in the low $500 range.

• Reply 65 of 127
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I've got a bad reputation on this site for blaming Tim Cook for being asleep at the helm.

Thanks for the laugh, but I think the list is a little longer than that. Your posts are usually entertaining as are the replies.
  • Reply 66 of 127
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit:

That I think the majority of iPhone buyers like is the ecosystem/iOS. If you're not given the choice of a larger phone then, of course, you're going to buy what is offered. (the same "might" even be said for iOS 7)

Hopefully that theory will be tested later this year.

I totally agree with you that the market will determine what size suits them.

I know a few who need a larger screen because of poor close vision, thay will be happy.

A larger iPhone screen interests me, but fortunately I have very good close vision and I love the iOS 7 & App capability to change text sizes.

But if the price is significantly higher for a 4.5" vs 4" iPhone; I would go for the smaller screen.

• Reply 67 of 127
    synergy wrote: »
    The 4" is their bread and butter iphone now.  Why do some think overnight they will be no more?  They are testing out the other sizes due to perceived demand.  Does not mean they will can the 4" unless sales of those went to zero overnight.

I always wonder why people think they would drop the currently best selling line. I'm pretty sure the Executives at Apple have all learned about "The New Coke" in probably their first few days of business school. I was amazed they released the 5c this year. I doubt there will be a 6c at the next release, but that's just me.

For those who are truly worried then I promise that if the new "larger iPhone" is only selling half as many units in comparison to the 5s, they will all of a sudden re-introduce the 4" form factor.

If they only release the 4" form factor with current technologies then who cares? I've read thousands of posts on this site about how it's "not about the specs", so stick with your old iPhone.

I don't have many wealthy friends, and I know quite a few people who were elated to recently get an iPhone 4. From some of the posts I read here I sometimes wonder if the poster actually travels about in society today. I rarely see "high end" devices.
  • Reply 68 of 127
    Barring a complete breakthrough in camera technology, like near-field optics (which no rumors, even, have discussed), or violating the laws of physics in regular camera technology, the iPhone is as thin as it can get already (if not thinner).
  • Reply 69 of 127
    imemberimember Posts: 247member

That concept looks hideous, sometimes ticker is better specifically when it comes to smartphones

• Reply 70 of 127
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    imember wrote: »
    That concept looks hideous, sometimes ticker is better specifically when it comes to smartphones

I like them. I like that they are thinner with a rounded edge which could mean it being about as light as it currently is and still allowing for a good thumb swipe with one-handed usage despite the larger display. I also like the non-metal back which would make NFC a possibility thus allowing for secure transaction system.
  • Reply 71 of 127
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Exactly. The thumb is not the best method of input.

I will use my phone with one hand, and one thumb, only when I have to. A quick text, making a phone call, etc.

But when I want to do anything extensive with my iPhone... I prefer two hands.

I will hold my phone with one hand and use my other hand and much more accurate index finger for control.

Plus... I use some apps with two and three-finger taps and other gestures. You can't do that with a single thumb.

You are exactly right and I have mentioned the same thing many times here as well. Apple have a lot of very smart people and they realize even with the current iPhone if you spend more than a few seconds doing a task chances are you will switch to 2 hand mode because it is more comfortable and the index finger is more precise. One handed use is no longer the "end all be all" it once was. Since people spend a lot more time looking at the display than they did years ago they want a larger display. The increased preference for landscape over portrait mode for viewing was the death knell for the 4". This will be the 1st iPhone I have been truly excited about since the very first one. 

• Reply 72 of 127
    srangersranger Posts: 473member

I have the iPhone 5s.  I like the phone but desperately want a larger screen for my poor 50 year old eyes...

I just have trouble seeing the smaller fronts in the little screen on the 5s....

• Reply 73 of 127
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
     It's possible that Apple did the right thing and waited until everything it wanted fell into place.  I can't run a company, but Apple does a fine job of it.

Are you feeling all right? /s

I think what we'll see is that display production technology, namely LTPS at high volume and high density, finally caught up with Apple's needs. Samsung uses their own OLED fabs, not available to Apple. Other companies using LTPS have been living off scraps from the factories that have been mostly supplying Apple for their iPhones. Where they may need a million displays, Apple needs tens of millions.

Tim Cook was not lying or making excuses. LTPS has been in short supply, and now seems to be available in volume.
  • Reply 74 of 127
    Can't wait! I just have to sell my iPhone 5 on UpgradeSwap then that'll cover the cost of upgrading to the 6! The iPhone 6 is gonna be awesome!
  • Reply 75 of 127
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    Over the years I needs change a lots of people Are using their phones instead of the computer phone is no longer a phone this more than that . And were all different with different needs personally I would love a bigger iPhone , i'm 45 my eyes are not what they were ! Bought the iPads for my children and girlfriend but I cannot carry around two products so I'll rely on my iPhone when travelling so yes I would like a big iPhone not too big so I can't fit it in my pocket,
    I do not like tablets you would look silly on the phone that's my personal opinion
  • Reply 76 of 127
    Seeing the concept iPhone; a bezel-less phone contradicts with one hand usability. It may look good in concept but anyone with a brain knows it will cause a lot of accidental touches on the screen.
  • Reply 77 of 127
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone' at record levels

Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 3G' at record levels

Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 4' at record levels

Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 5' at record levels

Consumer interest in Apple's 'iPhone 6' at record levels

Not really news at this point. EVERY iPhone has commanded the lion's share of "consumer interest" since day 1, big screen or not, feature "x" or not, feature "y" or not. 

I guess every iPhone generation attracts previous Android phone owners. Well, I am forced to use Android phone since it is a trend that led the manufacturers to drop Symbian powered phones in their line up. It also shows that when you experience an OS that leaves you with a bitter after-experience, you tend to look back or better, look for the a different OS phone in the market.

• Reply 78 of 127

Font size can be changed, just look for the setting under accessibility. ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I have the iPhone 5s.  I like the phone but desperately want a larger screen for my poor 50 year old eyes...

I just have trouble seeing the smaller fronts in the little screen on the 5s....

• Reply 79 of 127
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Font size can be changed, just look for the setting under accessibility. ;-)

Thanks but it does not change everything...
  • Reply 80 of 127
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The market has "shifted" because other companies ONLY offer their flagship devices in bigger sizes. Consumers have never had a choice. The smaller models are shitty, crippled low-end versions. So it goes both ways- consumers don't have the option of a large device with Apple, but they only don't get the option of a high-end smaller device with anyone else. All that you will see pushed, advertised, and recommended form Samsung, etc.  are the monster phones. Stop pretending it has anything to do with consumers demanding a bigger size. 

Wrong. Motorola has never really had a large handset. Their flagship, the Moto X, is almost as small as the iPhone 5s. It bombed... Motorola bled so much red ink, Google had to get rid of them.

Even when the larger phones were introduced, handset makers made other phones that had ordinary screen sizes. HTC One last year even only sported 4.7" screen. That's relatively small in the Android world. Yet, who's outselling? Yep, the bigger Galaxy and Galaxy Note lines from Samsung.

There has even long been cries in this forum for a larger iPhone. I was one of them!