New Apple TV box with motion controls to play 'key role' for Apple this year, but 'iTV' still a pipe

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sagan_student View Post

as similarly posted earlier by solipsism; you are carrying around a microphone with you all day everyday and this doesn't concern you?

Web connected cameras in my house watching my living room or bedroom bothers me, walking around with a microphone in my pocket also bothers me.  One of those is less optional and more beneficial than the other.  One constantly switches networks where the other is pretty constant.  Would I prefer a Smartphone with fewer sensors like GPS and whatnot?  Absolutely, but it's impractical.

If you two think that it's totally fine to put a web connected camera in your house and that nothing will ever come of it then be my fucking guest, but that's not the type of world I want to live in, I won't buy it, and it'll give a lot of other people pause as well.  Unless you live in a cave or are retired you need a smartphone at this point in history.  No one needs motion controls with a camera on an ATV, and I hope they never will.  I shouldn't have to tolerate a camera and or microphone pointed at me to get the online streaming video services that I want on a STB.  

The deal with the TV is that I watch it, it doesn't watch me back.  That's creepy and way open to abuse.  Not going to happen for X-Box Kinect, anything Google makes or has access to, and not going to happen for even Apple who I would tend to trust more than the others.  To believe otherwise is either just drinking the koolaid or pollyannish.  That's all I have to say on the matter.

• Reply 42 of 47
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m still not sure how television motion controls would ever play any sort of key role in anything other than a “this is what destroyed the product line” seminar.

Gaming? Do you see the Apple TV becoming more of an extension to the iPad or iPhone for gaming purposes? 

Although, my first thought was a funny image of someone on their couch making wild swiping gestures in the air to change channels and volume. 

• Reply 43 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

If there is motion control, then there will be a trigger to activate and deactivate motion control- whether through a physical button or action (clapping 3 times- I don't know).  Its not going to be permanently on

Contrary to exactly what the rumor says. I think I mentioned that before.

Originally Posted by techno View Post

Gaming? Do you see the Apple TV becoming more of an extension to the iPad or iPhone for gaming purposes? 

Yes! I think the Apple TV has great potential to host games, as evidenced by the ones that do it right now. It doesn’t have the storage to hold games, nor will it ever. It doesn’t have the processing to play games, nor does it need it. Stream the output video from the iDevice in your hand, controlling what you see on screen. Not that hard to get, people.

“But latency…”

Doesn’t matter. The platform would build it in.

• Reply 44 of 47
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Contrary to exactly what the rumor says. I think I mentioned that before.
    You said this relating to the fact they wouldn't have a remote control (in addition to possible gestures)
    No, I’d be fine with a remote that acts like a Wii’s controller. But that’s not what these morons are claiming.

But I gave an example of clapping three times- which doesn't involve a remote. My point was- they could do gesture only- and if they did- they would have a way to activate or deactivate. Maybe holding your crotch, saying "ee hee", and doing a Michael Jackson hip thrust. Tell me that wouldn't be fun.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You said this relating to the fact they wouldn't have a remote control (in addition to possible gestures)

So… there will be a button on the Apple TV that you have to stand up and press to activate the motion controls?

But I gave an example of clapping three times- which doesn't involve a remote.

Ah, yes, the “always listening” microphone idea. That’s sure not horrible…

Maybe holding your crotch, saying "ee hee", and doing a Michael Jackson hip thrust. Tell me that wouldn't be fun.

Now you’re giving away the features of the S TV… :p

• Reply 46 of 47
    One of the few Apple TV difficulties I find is all the steps required to change audio languages and subtitle languages, which is common in bilingual homes.
    When you start to see a film and it starts in another language, you have to go all the way out and into setup to change it, and then take all steps to return to the film.
    Awkward
    Hope they fix it in the next Apple TV at least.

By the way, I find no channel to suggest those things to Apple designers, for any product.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Originally Posted by rvarelam View Post

When you start to see a film and it starts in another language, you have to go all the way out and into setup to change it, and then take all steps to return to the film.

Not… in the slightest. Hold play while it’s playing. You’ll get subtitle and audio track options.