Rumor: Photos of iPhone 6 manufacturing molds, schematics leak online

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Apple are going to make a phablet so you might as well leave now .... for a phone maker that makes phablets.

Apple needs them, they will have a continually shrinking Asian business if they don't.

You keep this total fantasy up much longer, you’ll start believing it.

• Reply 22 of 58
    weejockweejock Posts: 32member
    lerxt wrote: »
    Apple are going to make a phablet so you might as well leave now .... for a phone maker that makes phablets.

Apple needs them, they will have a continually shrinking Asian business if they don't.

I think it's likely that Apple will come out with a larger-sized phone, but isn't their Asian business looking kinda growy at the moment?
  • Reply 23 of 58
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    You might as well have called me Mickey Mouse, because I take no offense at being called a fairy tale character.

Me thinks he doth protest too much.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    Relaaaaaaaaaaaaax...
  • Reply 25 of 58
    C'mon this isn't the first time Apple leaked hints of their iPhone. Remember the iPhone 4 supposedly being accidentally left at the bar?
    Please.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Grey Silvy View Post

C'mon this isn't the first time Apple leaked hints of their iPhone. Remember the iPhone 4 supposedly being accidentally left at the bar?

Please.

Yes, that criminal investigation, seizure of property, and permanent banning of personnel from all future events was ALL to drum up interest in the new product.

:no::wow::err::rolleyes:

• Reply 27 of 58

I noticed a bunch of numbers increasing away from the center of the "home" button. The outer edges are marked 31.6. Assuming that these are millimeters, the width of the molding is therefore 63.2mm. The current iPhone 5s, for comparison, is 58.6mm wide.

Also assuming that the schematic is proportional, I straighten the photo of the schematic (it was taken at a slight angle, but not too skewed) got the following measurements (+/-1.0 mm for accuracy):

Attribute measured Molding size iPhone 5s
    Length 140.4 mm 123.8 mm
    Width 63.2 mm 58.6 mm
    Screen diagonal 4.84 inch 4 inch

I've scaled an image of the iPhone 5s next to the schematic for comparison (it's shaded red). It's barely wider, but quite a bit taller than the iPhone 5s.

Now the area that's assumed to be "the screen" on the molding might not be the screen. It measures 110.8mm x 53.7mm for an odd 2:1 aspect ratio. This is taller than the 16:9 aspect ratio. The diagonal would end up at 123mm, or 4.84 inches. Not sure I believe it.

Anyway, FWIW, have fun with it!

• Reply 28 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I noticed a bunch of numbers increasing away from the center of the "home" button. The outer edges are marked 31.6. Assuming that these are millimeters, the width of the molding is therefore 63.2mm. The current iPhone 5s, for comparison, is 58.6</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">mm wide.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Also assuming that the schematic is </span>
    proportional, I <span style="line-height:1.4em;">straighten the photo of the schematic (it was taken at a slight angle, but not too skewed) got the following measurements (+/-1.0 mm for accuracy):</span>

<table border="1" cellpadding="1" style="width:500px;" summary="Estimated size of molding"><thead>[TR]
    [TH]Attribute measured[/TH]
    [TH]Molding size[/TH]
    [TH]iPhone 5s[/TH]
    [/TR]
    </thead><tbody>[TR]
    [TD]Length[/TD]
    [TD]140.4 mm[/TD]
    [TD]123.8 mm[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Width[/TD]
    [TD]63.2 mm[/TD]
    [TD]58.6 mm[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Screen diagonal[/TD]
    [TD]4.84 inch[/TD]
    [TD]4 inch[/TD]
    [/TR]</tbody></table>

I've scaled an image of the iPhone 5s next to the schematic for comparison (it's shaded red). It's barely wider, but quite a bit taller than the iPhone 5s.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Now the area that's assumed to be "the screen" on the molding might not be the screen. It measures 110.8mm x 53.7mm for an odd 2:1 aspect ratio. This is taller than the 16:9 aspect ratio. The diagonal would end up at 123mm, or 4.84 inches. Not sure I believe it.</span>

[image]

Anyway, FWIW, have fun with it!

That gives it a PPI of 269.4 if they use the same 1136x640 resolution display and a resolution of about 1380x770 if they stick with 326 PPI displays.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Well incidentally the largest iPhone was about the same size at 62.1mm. So I think 63.2mm is plausible, until Apple can manage to get zero brezel.

I have always thought the next iPhone screen Ratio will likely change to 21:9, in order to get larger screen without getting too wide. Which sounds just about right with the measures.

• Reply 30 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ksec wrote: »
    Well incidentally the largest iPhone was about the same size at 62.1mm. So I think 63.2mm is plausible, until Apple can manage to get zero brezel.

If the widest iPhone only had a 1.1mm smaller width and this one (according to the rumours) would be even thinner than the iPhone 5S which is already the thinnest iPhone ever then I would think that it wouldn't be an issue with one handed usability.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I definitely think that the leakers should be executed..

Any rational and reasonable response I could possibly have to that statement would get me banned. 

• Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If the widest iPhone only had a 1.1mm smaller width and this one (according to the rumours) would be even thinner than the iPhone 5S which is already the thinnest iPhone ever then I would think that it wouldn't be an issue with one handed usability.

In all fairness, my recently acquired Galaxy S5 (which is slightly taller and wider than my S4) is perfectly usable in one hand. Nevertheless, I often find myself holding it with one and using the other to touch due to habit... NB I also do this with my iPhone. There seems to be a bit of hysteria about the 'one hand use' thing in the iPhone community. It's almost as if it's rare to be born with two hands :P

• Reply 33 of 58
    jamesmcd wrote: »
    In all fairness, my recently acquired Galaxy S5 (which is slightly taller and wider than my S4) is perfectly usable in one hand. Nevertheless, I often find myself holding it with one and using the other to touch due to habit... NB I also do this with my iPhone. There seems to be a bit of hysteria about the 'one hand use' thing in the iPhone community. It's almost as if it's rare to be born with two hands :P

Not hysteria, preference.
    In all fairness.
  • Reply 34 of 58

It's too thin. More likely it's a new iPod touch.

• Reply 35 of 58
    I've been a loyal iPhone user since the iPhone 4. If Apple is ever tasteless enough to make an abomination called "phablet" I will leave Apple forever and never come back.

I highly doubt that. I think Apple can make a phablet excellent. Samsung did aiight and we all know how much they generally suck. Imagine what Apple could do with both their influence and their expertise.

Be wary, sure, but keep an open mind. By now both fans and haters should know not to doubt Apple outright.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

Yes, Since the Old iPhone is also 4.6mm thicker, so the total added distance for your thumb is still roughly the same as the largest iPhone first produced.

While a 21:9 screen are possible, I make this assuming purely based on engineering. I think the design of a phone with 21:9 will looks fairly ugly, unless they get rid of the Top and Buttom part. ( Which doesn't fit the schematics ).

• Reply 37 of 58

Any ideas on the thickness?

• Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KjellBrell View Post

Any ideas on the thickness?

The side view in the drawing isn't to the same scale as the top, so I can't simply count pixels. I could scale it down to match, but then we're in danger of increasing the amount of error. There aren't enough pixels in the image for a high precision estimate when it comes the thickness. But just eyeballing it, it appears to be impressively thin: more like the iPhone 5s than the iPhone 3GS.

• Reply 39 of 58
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    slurpy wrote: »
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/178283/rumor-photos-of-iphone-6-manufacturing-molds-schematics-leak-online#post_2515710"]

I definitely think that the leakers should be executed..

Any rational and reasonable response I could possibly have to that statement would get me banned. 

Just block him, and if someone replies to his post go to his original post and report it as offensive.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:

That gives it a PPI of 269.4 if they use the same 1136x640 resolution display and a resolution of about 1380x770 if they stick with 326 PPI displays.

I don't think it's the same resolution. If you believe that the inset rectangular area shown in the drawing is the screen, then it would appear to have a 2:1 aspect ratio instead of the current 16:9 aspect. One possibility is that've added more pixels so it's a 1280x640 display. That's 2:1.