Apple says working on fix for random iOS 7 crashing issue

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Must have been a bad batch. My 4S 's wifi is fine.

My 4S (purchased on original US release day) has been almost perfect on iOS7 so far (couple of months). No outright system crashes, maybe one unexpected app ending. No wifi issues at all.
    The only thing I've noticed is that it may be finally time to replace the battery.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    Anytime I'm under 35% on my 4S there is a big possibility that it will just turn off especially when taking a picture or during FaceTime. It won't restart because it think it's dead so I have to plug it in to get it to restart. Been happening for months.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    I have the iPhone 5s & iPad mini first gen, both running iOS 7, and this problem has been pervasive in crashing both of my devices with regularity. I'm very happy they're working on a fix. This perhaps is the only complaint I have with the new iOS 7.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    I can vouch for the Safari crashes on my iPad Air. However, I don't recall seeing Safari crash on my iPhone 5, even though I use it more than Safari on my iPad.

Neither my iPhone 5, nor my iPad Air got the B/W SOD.

I've had the soft restarts on both my iPad 2 and iPhone 5.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Actually, I've narrowed it down to anytime I'm using multitasking, and switching between apps. That is repeatable, but, not consistently. It ONLY crashes for me when I'm doing that, and even more likely if I side-scroll through the recently used apps. It makes me wanna stay away from double tapping the home button.

It does it on both my iPhone 5S, as well as my iPad Air.

And, it's not really a "crash" as much as it is a small "reboot" of sorts. It doesn't last long, and is back to normal within seconds. If it were an actual reboot, that would take minutes to reload. But, nonetheless, it's still maddening.

I'm glad they're finally acknowledging the issue and will provide a fix, at last.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    maclvr03 wrote: »
    Anytime I'm under 35% on my 4S there is a big possibility that it will just turn off especially when taking a picture or during FaceTime. It won't restart because it think it's dead so I have to plug it in to get it to restart. Been happening for months.

I think your battery is just shot. This happens to my dad's iPhone 5. Your phone doesn't think it's dead, it IS dead.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    sporlo wrote: »
    I think your battery is just shot. This happens to my dad's iPhone 5. Your phone doesn't think it's dead, it IS dead.

The battery is probably faulty. This happened to my iPhone 5—I had the exact same problem of the phone turning off at about 30%. Took it to the Genius bar, Apple found it was faulty and replaced the battery for free.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    I know a lot of people are worries about this, but this really is not a concern! It really is actually very beneficial to your phone. Jail breakers (like myself) often have this occur when we "respring" our devices. It's a built in process that basically soft resets your iPhone. I have noticed since I jail broke iOS 7 and added a new feature to my phone that displays my RAM (Random Access Memory) at the top of my device next to my clock. Since this has happened I have noticed that this feature usually kicks in when my device is critically running low in available RAM. With that said, this seemingly unreasoned crash is due to your device's RAM getting critically low. Thus this respring actually shuts down ALL running applications that are atealing RAM and allows your phone to run at full speed again. I suggest apple actually keep this feature and instead add something like a RAM display that shows a user when their device is nearly out of RAM and in danger of performing a "Respring". I would also suggest that the device be coded with a built in Control Center Respring icon (I'm referring to the quick access control center accessed by swiping up from the bottom of any screen). This will allow users to manually reset the RAM themselves without risking the program crashing during use.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    This is indeed a RAM issue. And the event that occurs is just simply referred to as a "respring" (ie. restart of the springboard).
  • Reply 50 of 54
    I have this happen a lot on an iPhone 4. I thought it was just because it was an older phone. I didn't know the 5's were crashing, too. I sure hope this bug fix works. When mine crashes, it gets caught in an infinite cycle between the Apple screen and the black/white screen, and can only be solved by doing a recovery mode restore.
  • Reply 51 of 54

Absolutely sick of this already - 1st update after moving from 4 s - why can't apple get these updates right first time - my i phone 5s has been crashing after it took 2/3 hours last night to complete the IOS 7  update - then has continuously crashed after a blue screen today... dreadful and disappointing service. Several re boots later and I am still trying to get this working - unsuccessfully so far !!

Will be moving to another provider at this rate.

• Reply 52 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Tony 100 View Post

why can't apple get these updates right first time

Because they do.

• Reply 53 of 54
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    Because they do.
    *sometimes
    So both points are moot.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    My iPhone 5s entered the "unexpected turn-off zone" about a week or so ago. Today it wouldn't turn back on at all & displayed the empty battery icon although it was fully charged. After an hour on charge, there was no difference in the apparent charge. So I found this group & read about plugging in to PC and it came right back on %u2014 and showing as fully charged.

Now I am synching, moving pix to PC to clear space. In Settings, it said there was 24 G available, but when I started uploading the pix, it said there was only 5 G available. IDK.

I use my iPhone for almost everything and this experience totally sucks. Hopefully I will be able to move critical data, then fully backup the phone with an eye to restore.