New photograph of purported 'iPhone 6' tooling suggests device with 4.7" display

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Just days after pictures surfaced of what were said to be molds for Apple's next-generation iPhone, a new photograph has emerged that gives a clearer indication of the parts' scale and sheds light on the possible physical dimensions of the new handset.

The photograph shows what appears to be the same mold that cropped up on Sunday, but with a white iPhone 4s posed next to it for scale. The picture was first published by French blog Nowhereelse.fr.

The publication believes that the mold, which is tapered, will be used to form the rear casing of the so-called iPhone 6. The outermost rim of the mold is slightly taller and wider than the iPhone 4s next to it, indicating that the casing will be larger than current models.

Rough measurements of the mold, arrived at by superimposing a photo of Apple's iPhone 5s and resizing it using the pictures iPhone 4s as a guide, seem to suggest a device with a 4.7-inch display. That matches up with previous whispers, including a recent prediction from well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, though the measurement does assume that the face of the next-generation handset will not undergo significant changes.

Apple is widely expected to unveil two new iPhones with different screen sizes this fall in a nod to worldwide consumer trends toward larger-screened handsets. In addition to the rumored 4.7-inch display, the company is also thought to be preparing a much larger 5.5-inch "phablet" variant.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

I hope the bezels are reduced more, I think it would be awkward to handle with one hand, much like the HTC One M8

• Reply 2 of 68
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Current phone is 123.8 x 58.6 so this one looks to be 15mm taller and 5.5mm wider. For me, that's too large, and therefore hope they will keep a 4" screen sized iPhone should they releaser a larger display one.

Thank you.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    Just what I need. An iPhone so large that it doesn't fit in my pocket! And an iPhone so large that I can't use it one-handed.

Wow, thanks Tim Cook, for your AMAZING INNOVATIONS since Steve died!!

Meanwhile, the ONE LARGE THING that we really do need has been discontinued: the 17" laptop. High screen resolution doesn't matter if the pixels are so small that you have to squint while trying to edit video.

Tim Cook and Phil Schiller are making a complete mess of Steve's house.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    I am curious that they are using molds to manufacture the enclosure, when the enclosure is milled from a block of aluminum for the 5/5s. As far as I know (not very much) a mold is not needed for milling the enclosure.

My take: either this mold is for a plastic enclosure, or a LiquidMetal enclosure, or it is not a mold, or it's a false leak.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    scotty321 wrote: »
    Just what I need. An iPhone so large that it doesn't fit in my pocket! And an iPhone so large that I can't use it one-handed.

Meanwhile, the ONE LARGE THING that we really do need has been discontinued: the 17" laptop. High screen resolution doesn't matter if the pixels are so small that you have to squint while trying to edit video.

Start whining about the lack of matte screens and I'll start calling you zunc¡
  • Reply 6 of 68
    The picture is a joke, it's just an iPhone 5 that looks large next to a 4s with dimensions drawn on the image.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    scotty321 wrote: »

This post is idiotic or sarcastic. Can't tell.

Regardless, I think an iPhablet (>5") would be horrible.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    This is innovation?

Put cellular capability on the iPad mini and leave the iPhone footprint alone.
    If Apple must then just put on the 5C.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    When Tim Cook unveils this iPhab will people be laughing in their seats - will Steve Jobs be rolling in his grave? Atrocious.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

If Steve still lives, you will have 3.5" iPhone still. Yes. appreciate it. BTW, increasing a phone screen is not an innovation.

• Reply 11 of 68
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Just what I need. An iPhone so large that it doesn't fit in my pocket!

If you think going from a 4" screen to a 4.7" is going to make the iPhone so much larger that it won't fit in your pocket, you must have some pretty small pockets. My iPhone 5 fits easily in to the front or back pocket of my Levis with room to spare. And no, I don't have a 36" waistline with an ample caboose ;). A slightly wider and taller iPhone 6 will have no appreciable affect on that.

• Reply 12 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

This is innovation?

Put cellular capability on the iPad mini and leave the iPhone footprint alone.

If Apple must then just put on the 5C.

iPad Mini doesn't have GPS, so you also need GPS to call it a smart phone.

• Reply 13 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I don’t think the far point of that screen is accessible.

It’s wider than the 5S and even wider by 11/1000ths of an inch than the first-gen iPhone with its gorgeously curvy front. Width isn’t really the problem, however, as a fingertip can reach beyond the first-gen’s case far enough, so without much side bezel on the 8th iPhone (contrasting with the large one on the first-gen) screen accessibility width would be fine. But it is a problem when you start increasing the height. 

This thing is 5.43” tall, which is just over half an inch taller than the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S’s screen is entirely reachable with a thumb, but this one won’t be. Not for anyone shy of 6’4”, at least. Apple has shaved 16/100ths of an inch off the thickness of the iPhone in seven models. They’d need this one to be something like half an inch thinner than the first-gen for the entire screen to be reachable on a 4.7” model.

In the time between now and September, I’ll get some cardboard and mock these things up for everyone. Don’t let me forget it. 

• Reply 14 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

If you think going from a 4" screen to a 4.7" is going to make the iPhone so much larger that it won't fit in your pocket, you must have some pretty small pockets. My iPhone 5" fits easily in to the front of back pocket of my Levis with room to spare. And no, I don't have a 36" waistline with an ample caboose ;). A slightly wider and taller iPhone 6 will have no appreciable affect on that.

Yup. The current iPhone 5/5s with bumper already made the phone 64mm width and 128mm lenght. Unless one can't afford a 10mm longer phone, I don't see the difference here either.

• Reply 15 of 68
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

If Steve still lives, you will have 3.5" iPhone still. Yes. appreciate it. BTW, increasing a phone screen is not an innovation.

If Steve Jobs were alive we would have a 2" phone and a 28" mac book air.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I had an HTC One for a time and it fit fine in my pocket. What kind of pants do you guys wear?! :D

• Reply 17 of 68

The speculated 64mm width is close to a typical adult 65mm interpupillary distance, thus adequate to support stereoscopic (3-D) photography without needing to rotate the handset.  

• Reply 18 of 68
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by manicakes View Post

I am curious that they are using molds to manufacture the enclosure, when the enclosure is milled from a block of aluminum for the 5/5s. As far as I know (not very much) a mold is not needed for milling the enclosure.

My take: either this mold is for a plastic enclosure, or a LiquidMetal enclosure, or it is not a mold, or it's a false leak.

No, HTC One metal casing were from mold as well. So it doesn't have to be Liquid Metal.

• Reply 19 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

When Tim Cook unveils this iPhab will people be laughing in their seats - will Steve Jobs be rolling in his grave? Atrocious.

And people (including me) will be buying it like crazy.

• Reply 20 of 68
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    I'll take a small one but for the sake of its stock value AAPL better make a jumbo!