Microsoft taps into Apple's Passbook, adds support in Windows Phone 8.1 [u]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    I think Microsoft probably has Apple's permission to do this and it may be a sign of more collaboration to come. Microsoft and Apple have already cross licensed many technologies. PassBook licensing could lead to mobile payment system licensing etc...

This may give Microsoft a leg up against Google.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    This was hardly "reverse engineered." Passbook is well documented and is made up of JSON, html, JavaScript and other standards. The only proprietary thing involved is the APNS mechanism that can be used to update passbook tickets already on a device (e.g. Your flight's gate changed.)

This isn't a big deal, folks.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

its as legal as you created SlurpyPass

7/11 had better honor it.

• Reply 44 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Here is AnandTech's new review of Windows Phone 8.1.

[LIST]
    [*] http://www.anandtech.com/show/7940/windows-phone-81-review
    [/LIST]

2) Here is Apple's developer's guide for PassBook passes.
    [LIST]
    [*] https://developer.apple.com/passbook/
    [/LIST]

3) Here is one of their sample passes.

[INDENT][IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/41802/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

[CODE]{
    "formatVersion" : 1,
    "passTypeIdentifier" : "pass.com.skyport.boarding-pass",
    "serialNumber" : "gT6zrHkaW",
    "teamIdentifier" : "A1B2C3D4E5",
    "webServiceURL" : "https://example.com/passes/",
    "authenticationToken" : "vxwxd7J8AlNNFPS8k0a0FfUFtq0ewzFdc",
    "relevantDate" : "2012-07-22T14:25-08:00",
    "locations" : [
    {
    "longitude" : -122.3748889,
    "latitude" : 37.6189722
    }
    ],
    "barcode" : {
    "message" : "SFOJFK JOHN APPLESEED LH451 2012-07-22T14:25-08:00",
    "format" : "PKBarcodeFormatPDF417",
    "messageEncoding" : "iso-8859-1"
    },
    "organizationName" : "Skyport Airways",
    "description" : "SFO to JFK",
    "logoText" : "Skyport Airways",
    "foregroundColor" : "rgb(22, 55, 110)",
    "backgroundColor" : "rgb(50, 91, 185)",
    "boardingPass" : {
    "transitType" : "PKTransitTypeAir",
    "headerFields" : [
    {
    "label" : "GATE",
    "key" : "gate",
    "value" : "23",
    "changeMessage" : "Gate changed to %@."
    }
    ],
    "primaryFields" : [
    {
    "key" : "depart",
    "label" : "SAN FRANCISCO",
    "value" : "SFO"
    },
    {
    "key" : "arrive",
    "label" : "NEW YORK",
    "value" : "JFK"
    }
    ],
    "secondaryFields" : [
    {
    "key" : "passenger",
    "label" : "PASSENGER",
    "value" : "John Appleseed"
    }
    ],
    "auxiliaryFields" : [
    {
    "label" : "DEPART",
    "key" : "boardingTime",
    "value" : "2:25 PM",
    "changeMessage" : "Boarding time changed to %@."
    },
    {
    "label" : "FLIGHT",
    "key" : "flightNewName",
    "value" : "815",
    "changeMessage" : "Flight number changed to %@"
    },
    {
    "key" : "class",
    "label" : "DESIG.",
    "value" : "Coach"
    },
    {
    "key" : "date",
    "label" : "DATE",
    "value" : "7/22",
    }
    ],
    "backFields" : [
    {
    "key" : "passport",
    "label" : "PASSPORT",
    "value" : "Canadian/Canadien"
    },
    {
    "key" : "residence",
    "label" : "RESIDENCE",
    "value" : "5780 E Mission St, San Jose, CA"
    },
    {
    "key" : "terms",
    "label" : "TERMS",
    "value" : "Extension of Validity\nIf after having commenced your journey, you are prevented from travelling within the period of validity of the Ticket by reason of illness, we may extend the period of validity of your Ticket until the date when you become fit to travel or until our first flight after such date, from the point where the journey is resumed on which space is available in the class of service for which the fare has been paid. Such illness must be attested to by a medical certificate. When the flight coupons remaining in the Ticket involve one or more Stopovers, the validity of such Ticket may be extended for not more than three months from the date shown on such a certificate. In such circumstances, we will similarly extend the period of validity of Tickets of the other members of your immediate family accompanying you."
    }
    ]
    }
    }[/CODE][/INDENT]

4) This is what the pass looks like on the Mac. I didn't even know Mac OS X could view these passes or send them to iCloud to auto-sun with your iPhone.

[INDENT][IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/41801/width/350/height/700[/IMG][/INDENT]
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Like the opening title comment: "With Apple's Passbook quickly becoming the de facto way for developers to create digital tickets, store cards and passes..."

Made me laugh. Apple's Passbook is hardly the 'de facto' anything.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

Like the opening title comment: "With Apple's Passbook quickly becoming the de facto way for developers to create digital tickets, store cards and passes..."

Made me laugh. Apple's Passbook is hardly the 'de facto' anything.

If you say so. 

I use passbook for every single flight I take, every movie I see, and have stored in it many loyalty cards so I don't need to keep them in my wallet, amongst a bunch of other miscellaneous things. I understand this isn't everyone's experience, but passbook is currently more 'de facto' than any other digital pass solution. But glad that statement was hilarious to you. 

• Reply 47 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    slurpy wrote: »
    If you say so. 

I use passbook for every single flight I take, every movie I see, and have stored in it many loyalty cards so I don't need to keep them in my wallet, amongst a bunch of other miscellaneous things. I understand this isn't everyone's experience, but passbook is currently more 'de facto' than any other digital pass solution. But glad that statement was hilarious to you. 

I use it practically everyday. It "magically" shows up on my iPhone when I get near particular retail outlets. My only request is that if I actively ignore or use it that it won't keep letting me know that it's there whilst I'm still in the area.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    they've been doing this kind of thing to companies for some time now. because few companies are making apps for WinPhone, microsoft has taken to producing an "app" that wraps their web site, and publishing it under the companies name. without asking for permission, or informing either the company or the customers downloading the app that it is NOT by the company (as the company gets surprised by customer support emails and they have no idea about any Windows Phone app].
  • Reply 49 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    they've been doing this kind of thing to companies for some time now. because few companies are making apps for WinPhone, microsoft has taken to producing an "app" that wraps their web site, and publishing it under the companies name. without asking for permission, or informing either the company or the customers downloading the app that it is NOT by the company (as the company gets surprised by customer support emails and they have no idea about any Windows Phone app].

Kind of like how the US TV cable companies operated with network TV broadcasts. Intercept for free, rewrap and sell.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Kind of like how the US TV cable companies operated with network TV broadcasts. Intercept for free, rewrap and sell.

Actually the cable companies have to pay fees to get the "free" networks.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    andysol wrote: »
    Years ago, Apple had an ongoing dispute with Palm, as the rival handset maker would trick Apple's iTunes into thinking a Palm device was an iPod, allowing users to sync music with their handset. In a back-and-forth battle, Palm continued to find new exploits, while Apple continued to patch them.
    :\
    Lol.... thats awesome.  Never knew this happened.
    andysol wrote: »
    Years ago, Apple had an ongoing dispute with Palm, as the rival handset maker would trick Apple's iTunes into thinking a Palm device was an iPod, allowing users to sync music with their handset. In a back-and-forth battle, Palm continued to find new exploits, while Apple continued to patch them.
    Lol.... thats awesome.  Never knew this happened.
    You comment made me feel old, I remember like it was yesterday :\

Edit. What the...?
  • Reply 52 of 52
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Why would they block MS on this. People will be able to open passes on their windows phone, Apple doesn't lose anything.