Rumor: First photo of supposed 'iPhone 6' front panel surfaces

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The last several releases from Apple were telegraphed weeks in advance, so I see no reason to doubt the accuracy of this photo on the face of it. Most Apple pundits believe a larger iPhone is all but guaranteed. I'll probably buy a larger iPhone myself...I can't see as well as I used to!
  • Reply 42 of 70

I'll wait to see the real thing before forming a judgment, or deciding.

• Reply 43 of 70
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Just as likely that the part shown is for that Chinese Apple copycat.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tundraboy wrote: »
    Just as likely that the part shown is for that Chinese Apple copycat.

That is a distinct possibility.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    That looks like an abomination. If Apple ever succumbs to that's tastelessness I will never buy another Apple device again. That's horrible.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    That looks like an abomination. If Apple ever succumbs to that's tastelessness I will never buy another Apple device again. That's horrible.
    It's an iPhone with a bigger screen. I don't see what the big deal is.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I'll be absolutely shocked if they scale up a 5s and use that for the 6. The phone looks ridiculous that big with such huge top and bottom bezels. A larger phone means more of the internals can be hidden beneath the screen. So the top and bottom bezels can and should shrink appreciably.

I agree. Can't imagine Jobs doping something stupid like this.

• Reply 48 of 70
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    As to the 3rd person in the picture, maybe he's hell-bend over the large front¿ (isn't that an American saying, hell-bend? Is it a good play of words?)
    jungmark wrote: »
    My question is if she's holding the phone and panel, how is she taking the photo? :)

Photographers usually aren't in the picture.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Based on that image that phone looks too big for my needs. The footprint is bigger but the rumours are that they will make it thinner thereby reducing the internal volume. If it's under 7mm it'll be about 6mm thinner than the thickest iPhone so perhaps that will work for one handed operation.

Isn't it supposedly tapered? Meaning the top will be thicker, due to the camera and not going for a 'sticking-out camera design'? Then with the thinner bottom one could still use it one-handed if you're 'holding it right'.

Then again, it could also be a new smartphone from Samsung. They wanted to differentiate themselves so a larger than iPhone design would accomplish that¡
    rogifan wrote: »
    It's an iPhone with a bigger screen. I don't see what the big deal is.

Especially if this isn't the only size they're going to sell.
  • Reply 49 of 70
    Most Apple pundits believe a larger iPhone is all but guaranteed. I'll probably buy a larger iPhone myself...I can't see as well as I used to!

Loosing sight a bit and needing glasses sucks. There is unfortunately no way to tell if a larger display on a new iPhone is going to help here; that would only work if they keep the amount of pixels the same, yet I think that if Apple were to release a larger display on a new iPhone it will have increased the # of pixels, making reading glasses still a necessity.
  • Reply 50 of 70
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »
    As to the 3rd person in the picture, maybe he's hell-bend over the large front¿ (isn't that an American saying, hell-bend? Is it a good play of words?)

Close, it's hell-bent

hell–bent
    Function: adjective
    Date: 1835
    : stubbornly and often recklessly determined or intent <hell–bent on winning>
    — hell–bent adverb

And your play was off, because there's no actual bending. Good try though.
  • Reply 51 of 70

OK, so the top bezel maybe/could/should be a little smaller. The bottom's size is supposedly constrained by the home button. Oh well, who knows!

On the other hand, , , , all the dismay over the larger form factor may be justified by us as being the "Apple FanBoys" that we are, , , , . LOL

But, , , , a lot of people that I know who have Galaxies certainly got them because they were somewhat cheaper than the iPhones. But, , , , and, now that they have their Galaxies, they do not want an iPhone, at any price, because the iPhone is "too small"!

We certainly do not use our cell phones today like we did twenty years ago, but remember when "smaller/smallest" was all the rage?

• Reply 52 of 70
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Close, it's hell-bent

hell–bent
    Function: adjective
    Date: 1835
    : stubbornly and often recklessly determined or intent <hell–bent on winning>
    — hell–bent adverb

And your play was off, because there's no actual bending. Good try though.

i love replies like yours; I learn something, and you took the time to show it to me. Still, double fail on my part, other than the grammar mistake hell-bent didn't apply to the guy bending over. Oh well.

Still, thanks!
  • Reply 53 of 70
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If you look carefully through the glass you'll see it's a person bending down. It took me a few seconds to make out what I was looking at. The arm outside the glass looks thicker than the arm through the glass. It could photoshopped but it could also be the refraction of the glass. Hard to tell.

The glass already has plastic protective sheet on it which makes it distort and foggy. You can see a couple air bubbles.

• Reply 54 of 70

I did a little Photoshop work on it to take out the distortion and then resized it to 100% based on the measurements of a iPhone 5 and it appears to be 4.7" screen.

• Reply 55 of 70
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You think it looks ridiculous now because you're not used to it- a couple months after release,when millions of them are around, it will look as normal as every other iPhone. Everyone also said the iPhone 5 looked ridiculous too.

I think my wife's iPhone 4S looks weird (particularly the screen which looks so small) compared to my iPhone 5, so I'm inclined to agree with you.

• Reply 56 of 70
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I did a little Photoshop work on it to take out the distortion and then resized it to 100% based on the measurements of a iPhone 5 and it appears to be 4.7" screen.

You method is more in line with how it should be done, Using the know size, scale it properly to that size and measure everything else in the picture. The only concerns is the fact the original picture was taken off angle so their are parallax issue you some time have to worry about, but you estimate is closer than the first guys attempt.

• Reply 57 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Slow day at the office huh? 

• Reply 58 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

No we are really busy but this stuff only takes me 5 minutes and PS is always open

• Reply 59 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Perspective Crop is one of Adobe’s only good features. It’s seconds to an unwarped picture.

• Reply 60 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

[…] Apple will never go with asymmetrical bezels.

I don't get that. I don't understand why a designer would waste so much panel space at the top. What's the supposed payoff?