Closer look at alleged 'iPhone 6' front panel suggests 5.1" screen with 16:9 ratio

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
Whether it's legitimate or not, a newly revealed front panel claimed to be for Apple's next-generation iPhone appears to show a part for a 5.1-inch display with a screen ratio of 16 to 9.

Measurement provided to AppleInsider by Steve of East Coast Pixels.

A photo revealed earlier Tuesday purports to show an "iPhone 6" front panel next to the 4-inch display of an iPhone 5s. AppleInsider reader Steven from East Coast Pixels -- makers of the iOS photo editing app PhotoToaster -- took a closer look at the alleged Apple part in an effort to determine its dimensions.

Using the iPhone 5s on the left as a comparison, the part appears to show an iPhone display with a 5.07-inch diagonal measurement, or nearly 5.1 inches. It also has a 16-to-9 aspect ratio, which would be identical to the ratio found on the current iPhone 4-inch display.

Apple is likely to keep a consistent aspect ratio in order to make the transition to a larger screen size as easy as possible for developers. When combined with a properly chosen display resolution, apps would be able to scale with little or no modification.

However, an iPhone screen size just shy of 5.1 inches does not align with recent rumored display sizes for Apple's next-generation handset. Well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said in a research note last week that he believes Apple's 2014 iPhone models will come in two screen sizes of 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches.

"iPhone 6" mockup via Ciccarese Design.

A 5.07-inch iPhone display, if the leak is in fact accurate, would essentially split the difference between those two rumored screen sizes. It would also come in more than a full inch larger than the current display found on the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.

There is a question as to whether an iPhone with a 5.1-inch display would continue to allow for one-handed use. To date, Apple has changed the screen size on the iPhone only once, jumping from a 3.5-inch to a 4-inch display, citing that it couldn't go any larger without compromising the ability to use the device with just one hand.

But in recent years, smartphone displays have trended to the larger size, with consumers embracing handsets regardless of their ease of one-handed operation.

According to Kuo, Apple apparently plans to include a bezel-less design with the rumored 4.7-inch model to continue to allow one-handed use, while the 5.5-inch model will appeal to those consumers who are not concerned about operating their phone with one hand. The leaked part displayed on Tuesday, however, does not include a bezel-less design.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 135
    No.
  • Reply 2 of 135
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    A 5.07" display iPhone I would consider it to be a phablet and therefore makes me hope they will keep the 4" alongside.

And I thought that after the 4.1", 4.2", 4.3", 4.4", 4.5", 4.6", 4.7", 4.8", 4.9", 5.0", 5.1", 5.2", 5.3", 5.4" & 5.5" display rumours we'd be covered for any outcome. But unfortunately we now are going to go all out and have the rumour mill include .0x" screens, which could run well into 2015 (without actually counting).
  • Reply 3 of 135
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I've read somewhere else, that this photo shows a 4.7" screen. One has to be careful measuring these things, as the phones aren't from and center, they are at an angle. But one more thing matters.

Turn your phone on, and you will see that the actual screen is slightly smaller than the cutout on the bezel. So if the bezel is being measured, the screen size will come out slightly larger than it really is.
  • Reply 4 of 135
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Oh, and these bezel-less mockups are very nice, but unrealistic.
  • Reply 5 of 135
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    4.7" I can live with, but, please, no 5.5" display. And keep the current 4" size.

Besides 5.5" being way too big, we don't need to hear all of the Samsung trollers saying that Apple is now copying Samsung.
  • Reply 6 of 135
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    It's the new iwatch.
  • Reply 7 of 135
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

4.7" I can live with, but, please, no 5.5" display. And keep the current 4" size.

Besides 5.5" being way too big, we don't need to hear all of the Samsung trollers saying that Apple is now copying Samsung.

This. 

I love my 4" phone and am nervous about them going much larger (Yeah, I'm one of those). 

4.7, though, I can do. 5"+ is much too large and the primary reason I did not like the Nexus 5, which was just a hair smaller. 

• Reply 8 of 135
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I hope this is true. 4.7" just seemed a bit small and 5.5" was too big. Around 5" would be perfect. I feel like Goldilocks and the three bears and 5: is just right. 

• Reply 9 of 135
    Long fingernails handling the prototype are usually a sign of authenticity. It usually means is a guy in Asia who handle a lot small electronic components.
  • Reply 10 of 135
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

This. 

I love my 4" phone and am nervous about them going much larger (Yeah, I'm one of those). 

4.7, though, I can do. 5"+ is much too large and the primary reason I did not like the Nexus 5, which was just a hair smaller. 

I cannot for a minute imagine that Apple will go wholesale to a larger format. A new format will be an addition to the present size - which I am pretty sure will remain the better seller, at least in North America and Europe.

• Reply 11 of 135
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I don't understand... the green grid on your image doesn't fit with the screen.
    If this is it, it's too large for my tastes, I hope they keep the 4 inches model.
  • Reply 12 of 135
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I hope this is true. 4.7" just seemed a bit small and 5.5" was too big. Around 5" would be perfect. I feel like Goldilocks and the three bears and 5: is just right. 

Like the Dell Streak, you mean¿

statcoder wrote: »
    Long fingernails handling the prototype are usually a sign of authenticity. It usually means is a guy in Asia who handle a lot small electronic components.

I think it would be more authentic if (s)he would have a 'stylus-fingernail' though:

• Reply 13 of 135
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member

If Apple comes out with two new sizes and keeps the 5C phone as the third, then users can choose phone size, high technology, or low price, but not any combination of the two.  Complainers gotta complain.

I won't  complain either way.  Bigger would be nice.  However, if the phone gets too big, I may have to go back to using my iPod for workouts as a huge phone is not appealing.  I'd love a larger phone for my browsing, though.  Super thin, too.

• Reply 14 of 135
    note that the IPhone 5s is further away from the person taking the photo. So the actual size of the iPhone 5s should be larger than the photo suggests . The proper way is to look at the right edges iPhone 5s and compare it to the iphone6's left edge. Use that as a reference , you will get the right dimension---- it is about 4.7 inch screen size wise.
  • Reply 15 of 135
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    First.. a completely bezel-less design is a pipe dream and will not happen.. Some type of bezel is required to keep the screen from shattering from the smallest of drops..

Eliminate the bezel and you create a phone with on-going screen damage issues.. plain and simple.. this is why I think Kuo is completely full if it and has no clue.. plus Kuo's track record is that of a shotgun .. he spews a ton of things, then only 'touts' the guesses he just 'happened' to get right.. Anyone can do that..

This may well be yet another prototype face plate.. no doubt Apple has tested many designs, 4.7, 5.5, and everything in between.. There is nothing that suggests they were testing all sizes and finally are settling on a 5.1", then release a 4" and 5.1" side by size.. an iPhone and iPhone Pro and charge the extra '$100' for the Pro model..

Keeps current customers happy that like the smaller form-factor, makes devs happy with 16.9 ration not screwing them up, and makes large screen must-have customers happy..
  • Reply 16 of 135

Here's a better [angled] picture. Try that measurement again. It is clearly 4.7"

• Reply 17 of 135
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Looks good. If you don't like it, dont buy it. I very much doubt Apple is going to get rid of the 4" formfactor. There's a shitload of people who claim that the only reason people are even buying flagship Android phones instead of iPhones is the size. I guess these phones will test that theory.

Being ideologically opposed to a larger size at this point is simply childish. There are obviously people who prefer these larger phones, whether you agree with them or not.
  • Reply 18 of 135
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post

better

Mr. Blurrycam sure has subjective tastes…

• Reply 19 of 135
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Oh, and these bezel-less mockups are very nice, but unrealistic.

I love seeing graphic designers who haven't a friggin' clue do hardware design, then get their panties in a bunch when the released model doesn't follow their renderings. Stick to making cute icons in Illustrator/Photoshop, dudes. 

• Reply 20 of 135
    Neil, you need to either revise or retract this article. Steve from EAST COAST PIXELS clearly did the wrong calculation. The photo is showing a 4.7 inch screen, not 5.1 inch.