Amazon's iPhone competitor purportedly revealed in photos with 6 cameras, 3D UI

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
A series of snapshots hit the web Tuesday showing what is alleged to be a prototype of Amazon's upcoming first-party smartphone, with a 4.7-inch display and 6 cameras that are said to power a unique three-dimensional user interface.

Though the handset is shrouded in what seems to be a cover designed to obscure its industrial design, it does appear to feature an iPhone-like layout with three buttons on the side and a headphone jack on the bottom. The shots were first published by BGR.

Most notable are the cameras placed in each corner of the handset's front face. The publication says that the low-resolution infrared cameras are used to drive a unique user interface that will allow users to manipulate onscreen objects, including icons and wallpaper, in three-dimensional space.

Amazon is said to be working with third-party developers to enable popular applications to take advantage of the 3D features prior to the phone's release.

The device also sports a removable tray on the side which looks much like the SIM tray in Apple's iPhone, though it is possible that the slot could be used for removable storage in the form of microSD cards. Qualcomm's Snapdragon processor will power the handset and drive its 1280-pixel-by-720-pixel display, with the operating system and applications gaining access to 2 gigabytes of RAM.

There is no word on when the handset will hit shelves, nor what it will cost when it does. Amazon is also reportedly working on a followup device with lower specifications and a "very competitive" retail price.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Nice hardware Mr. Borg.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH LOOK AT THOSE SEAMS. LOOK AT THAT PLASTIC.

• Reply 3 of 48
    Looks ugly already
  • Reply 4 of 48
    What's laughable are your reading comprehension skills, Prince Charming.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

I wonder how much you have to pay for the ad free version of the phone? 

• Reply 6 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The Verge says 5 cameras, not 6.

Also, if their phone does indeed have this many cameras it will be for eye tracking so they can more accurately determine what you are looking at on their site so they can serve up more of what you're interested in. Deviously clever, really. Could blow away all other advertising methods, despite unprecedented levels of intrusiveness.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The 3D effect is neat on the Nintendo 3DS but I can't imagine that being a viable feature on a smartphone.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The 3D effect is near on the Nintendo 3DS but I can't imagine that being a viable feature on a smartphone.

I don't think the cameras are there for 3-D.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The 3D effect is near on the Nintendo 3DS but I can't imagine that being a viable feature on a smartphone.

Remember, these are completely different effects. The Nintendo 3DS’ 3D is handled by the LCD directly. This monstrosity will be recording your face the entire time you use it in a mockery of better, less complex technology.

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Everything about the device has told us they are. Why on Earth would they need six cameras if not to pretend it’s about 3D in an excuse to record users?

• Reply 10 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I was talking about the UI.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Also, if their phone does indeed have this many cameras it will be for eye tracking so they can more accurately determine what you are looking at on their site so they can serve up more of what you're interested in. Deviously clever, really. Could blow away all other advertising methods, despite unprecedented levels of intrusiveness.

What's the battery life if these cameras are always on?
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

What's the battery life if these cameras are always on?

This is the first question I wanted to ask!

• Reply 13 of 48
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    3D on smartphones is the future. Maybe 2021, and mainly for games?

Not the 2014 future, though.

It's odd, because Amazon's hardware has been pretty no-nonsense, I feel. Throwing in some wacky thing that sounds good to 12-year old sci-fi fans but doesn't work well or support many apps? Sounds more like Samsung.

If it's supported JUST by one Amazon shopping app, say, and is marketed as such without pretend to do more than that, I can see this might work out (it the effect is truly good). Then anything else that supports the feature would be just icing on the cake. Undersell. Bill it as a minor feature so it doesn't disappoint.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    It's a case, as alluded to in the text of the article. Look how recessed the headphone jack is; obviously a case.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You can see 5 on the front. The assumption is that there is still one on the back.

• Reply 16 of 48
    This is not a competitor to anything mobile. This looks like a cheap hard drive enclosure.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member
    WOW! Looks like a giant piece of (plastic) crap!
  • Reply 18 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

And those buttons. Frankenstein was put together nicer than that.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    I like the design, somewhat.
    I SO wish to Christ above that Apple'd get of the "glass & ultraslippery aluminum backing" schnide.
    I like a tough, durable multicolored plastic body.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The speaker grill (if that's what it is) looks like what's on the iPhone.