Alpine confirms Apple CarPlay head units coming in 2014

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
Japanese aftermarket manufacturer Alpine confirmed on Tuesday that it will be the second car audio maker to bring Apple's CarPlay to aftermarket receivers with products set to launch in the U.S. and Europe later this year.

"For more than a decade, we have worked with Apple to produce products that integrate their technology into our car entertainment and information products," said Alpine Senior Director and CTO Hirofumi Morioka. "Our new CarPlay-enabled products represent the next step in providing users a seamless iPhone experience in the vehicle."

According to Alpine, units featuring CarPlay integration will bow at the end of 2014, though there was no word on pricing. The company was also mum on whether existing Alpine models would gain the functionality via a firmware update or if new hardware would be required.

Word of Alpine's move first appeared on Monday with a report in Japanese media that placed their cost at $500 to $700.

Alpine is the second aftermarket company to officially announce CarPlay products after competitor Pioneer unveiled CarPlay-enabled head units of its own earlier Tuesday. Pioneer's offerings will start at $700 when they go on sale this summer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    "More than a decade..." Really? iPod over their stereo then, I take it?

Anyhow, I think this road to integrated tech in the car is a great evolution, and I for one am happy Apple is on board!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    $700?!? Seriously. Methinks it's "gouge the Apple customers time". This functionality should add $100 to a standard touch screen car stereo, tops.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gustav wrote: »
    $700?!? Seriously. Methinks it's "gouge the Apple customers time". This functionality should add $100 to a standard touch screen car stereo, tops.

Unless I'm mistaken it's not adding anything to the current prices. That's how much those after-market units cost before CarPlay was ever announced.

edit: Three of the 5 listed on Pioneer's compatibility page were for sale before CarPlay was even announced and none of them on Amazon even mention any CarPlay support at this time.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Sweet!  Love it.

• Reply 5 of 12
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I hope this is true. iPhone integration with aftermarket car stereo's is abysmal, and iOS 7 took my Kenwood's that had decent integration and screwed it up so that now I have to plug the 3.5" aux audio jack in to get audio. The USB still charges and controls my iPhone, but audio no longer plays over USB and I can't get any response from Kenwood if they will ever release a firmware update. Why bother putting a USB support and the ability to update firmware if you never are going to offer new firmware?!? In reading through various forums and online reviews, Alpine, Panasonic and Sony have all been equally inconsistent on iPhone integration as well. I would love to find a site that reviews car stereos for their iPhone integration in detail, not as some @^%#&* afterthought :(
  • Reply 6 of 12
    docno42 wrote: »
    I would love to find a site that reviews car stereos for their iPhone integration in detail, not as some @^%#&* afterthought :(

1) Where the hell have you been?

2) A website that lists the automakers and models that offer CarPlay, along with requirements and costs, like buying the navigation package since that's the only way to get the 7", colour, touch display on most cars, after-market units with prices that include CarPlay, and I don't see why it couldn't also include MS's Windows in the Car and Google’s Open Automotive Alliance on the site as those will be coming down the line now that Apple has done cleared the path for progress yet again. A site like MacRumors, which lists a buyer's guide for Macs could also add a page for these CarPlay compatible car models and head units.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    What sucks about the pioneer offerings is that you would be paying $700 for all this functionality that you would replace with CarPlay. I want a cheap head unit that does nothing except maybe AM/FM when it's not in CarPlay mode .
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I should have gone to law school! How lucrative it will be when all the 'distracted driver' suits pile up -- an easy slam-dunk with time stamped data use to verify accident fault!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I should have gone to law school! How lucrative it will be when all the 'distracted driver' suits pile up -- an easy slam-dunk with time stamped data use to verify accident fault!

Right, because CarPlay will be so much more distracting than looking at your phone while driving /s.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Where the hell have you been?

https://marvelheroes.com :\
    2) A website that lists the automakers and models that offer CarPlay, along with requirements and costs, like buying the navigation package since that's the only way to get the 7", colour, touch display on most cars, after-market units with prices that include CarPlay, and I don't see why it couldn't also include MS's Windows in the Car and Google’s Open Automotive Alliance on the site as those will be coming down the line now that Apple has done cleared the path for progress yet again. A site like MacRumors, which lists a buyer's guide for Macs could also add a page for these CarPlay compatible car models and head units.

I would love such a thing. One can dream!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    docno42 wrote: »

You've been busy making that game?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    solipsismx wrote: »
    You've been busy making that game?

Ha! I wish. I'd be rich :) Nope, playing and hanging out in the forums there. Although with Apple's latest earnings things might heat up over here agin.