Amazon's iPhone competitor purportedly revealed in photos with 6 cameras, 3D UI

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    crowley wrote: »
    It's a case, as alluded to in the text of the article. Look how recessed the headphone jack is; obviously a case.

Who shows a phone with a case on it. Even a cheap case doesn't have a crevice for a seam.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Interesting. Be interested to see how the cameras all work. Most likely another loss-leader & portal for content consumption sold by Amazon ala the Fire.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

It's a case, as alluded to in the text of the article. Look how recessed the headphone jack is; obviously a case.

Indeed, I was wrong. Thing is, triangle screws aren’t difficult to get through. Take the case off and show us!

• Reply 24 of 48
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Who shows a phone with a case on it. Even a cheap case doesn't have a crevice for a seam.
    Most likely it's a prototype case either that or it's a case designed to shield away it's true intent to casual eyes much like what Apple and others do when testing phones outside their respective campus's.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    u don't need 4 cameras for eye tracking, gesture tracking, or showing 3d on the screen.

possibly they are going to use it as a 3d scanning tech?
  • Reply 26 of 48
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why is AI referring to this as an iPhone competitor? Seems to me this phone will compete with other low cost options like some of the Nokia Lumia's and Moto X/G.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Also, if their phone does indeed have this many cameras it will be for eye tracking so they can more accurately determine what you are looking at on their site so they can serve up more of what you're interested in. Deviously clever, really. Could blow away all other advertising methods, despite unprecedented levels of intrusiveness.

Don't worry, the phone to be sold by the evil empire (google) will feature mind-reading.  Won't that be "special"!

• Reply 28 of 48

Isn't every phone not an iPhone an iPhone competitor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why is AI referring to this as an iPhone competitor? Seems to me this phone will compete with other low cost options like some of the Nokia Lumia's and Moto X/G.

• Reply 29 of 48
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Also, if their phone does indeed have this many cameras it will be for eye tracking so they can more accurately determine what you are looking at

Its the boobies.

Ok amazon, pony up your R&D budget

• Reply 30 of 48
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

All those camera and 3D features will be used to better enhance sexting pictures...

• Reply 31 of 48
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Don't worry, the phone to be sold by the evil empire (google) will feature mind-reading.  Won't that be "special"!

no the mind reading phone is being produced by MS. didn't you see their announcement about being able to predict what you want to do before you know yourself.

• Reply 32 of 48
    Keep in mind the hardware shown above deliberately includes an ugly outer casing that conceals the real phone within %u2013 as the article notes if you read it.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Everything about the device has told us they are. Why on Earth would they need six cameras if not to pretend it’s about 3D in an excuse to record users?

There's no real proof this is the real phone anyway, so I have to reserve judgment somewhat... however, it would make more sense as a method for Amazon to derive marketing information than as some kind of a bizarre 3-D interface. Just my 4 cents (increased due to the effects of inflation). :)

• Reply 34 of 48
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The 3D effect is neat on the Nintendo 3DS but I can't imagine that being a viable feature on a smartphone.

The HTC Evo 3D used an autostereoscopic display and 3D camera and certailny wasn't a smartphone in high demand.  Like the 3DS I think the 3D gimmick wears off and then people just use the device without 3D to save on battery life.

• Reply 35 of 48
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Because "iPhone Competitor" gets the clicks? Especially on an Apple-oriented website.

I agree, it's as much a Galaxy S5 competitor as an iPhone competitor, or more likely a low cost competitor.

And, if it's like the Kindle Fire HD, it's not going to be much use outside markets where Amazon Prime is available. Which means I'm unlikely to want one.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

It's in a case to cover it from prying eyes and photographers.

6 cameras, 4 for the 3D, 1 front facing standard camera and 1 rear facing standard camera.

• Reply 37 of 48
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

It sounds a little out there, but that's what prototypes are for.  Interested to see what it adds to the market.

I'll hold off on 'its great' or 'it totally sucks' based on whom it is made by, and wait until I see what it actually does.  Being offered by Amazon does give it a 'slight negative' right out of the crate, but if it does something unique (and good) it could easily overcome that.

I think Amazon is great when I go to them because I want product fast, I don't like them so much when they come to me.

• Reply 38 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anome View Post

Because "iPhone Competitor" gets the clicks? Especially on an Apple-oriented website.

I agree, it's as much a Galaxy S5 competitor as an iPhone competitor, or more likely a low cost competitor.

And, if it's like the Kindle Fire HD, it's not going to be much use outside markets where Amazon Prime is available. Which means I'm unlikely to want one.

If it has the effect of kneecapping Samsung, it'll be worth it.

• Reply 39 of 48
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAH LOOK AT THOSE SEAMS. LOOK AT THAT PLASTIC.

It's a prototype. Unless it has fake housing over actual one.

I mean, I agree with you - as it is, it's quite horrid. Which is exactly why I don't believe Amazon could even consider releasing it in this form. Heck, even North Korea would not release it in that form.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    So...did someone leave this phone in a bar?