Case purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 6' supports claims of power button on upper right side

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2015
As they have done in years past, case makers are once again betting on unconfirmed designs rumored for Apple's next iPhone, with one manufacturer betting this year's model will sport a larger display and a sleep/wake button moved to the upper right side.

The purported "iPhone 6" cases, discovered on Wednesday by Nowhereelse.fr, show a lock button located directly across from the volume up button. The location of the mute switch and volume controls remain in generally the same spot.

The case also supports claims of a switch to "pill" shaped volume buttons, as opposed to the circular buttons found on the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S and iPhone 4. Elongated volume buttons are currently found on the iPhone 5c, and thinner, longer buttons were also included on the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and first-generation iPhone.

Last week, well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said he was told that Apple might move the location of the sleep/wake button to the right side of the device, rather than the top, where it has always been located to date. It was suggested that this change would be implemented either to help facilitate one-handed use with a larger display, or could indicate a new feature that would require frequent presses of the power button.

Kuo believes Apple will launch two "iPhone 6" models this year: one with a 4.7-inch display, and another larger model at 5.5 inches. The analyst suggested that both redesigned handsets might see the lock button located on the upper right side.

As for the volume buttons being similar to the iPhone 5c, Macotakara first revealed in March that Apple's next-generation iPhone is expected to adopt that and other characteristics of the mid-range handset. The site said that the holes on the bottom of the handset for speaker and microphone will also follow the design established by the iPhone 5c, as will its back, rounded edges.

Finally, the newly revealed cases are also consistent with a rough design mockup revealed by a case maker earlier this month, which also showed elongated volume buttons and redesigned speaker/mic spaces at the bottom of the unit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Moving the sleep/wake button to the right is the most absurd thing I've heard. Well, them thinking this is true; that is absurd! Another case maker with a single-dgit IQ.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Moving the sleep/wake button to the right is the most absurd thing I've heard. Well, them thinking this is true; that is absurd! Another case maker with a single-dgit IQ.
    Not absurd if the device is getting bigger. Will be easier to reach on the side than the top. But maybe there are camera related reasons it had to be moved. Or this case maker is just guessing and will turn out to be completely wrong.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    Also. I'm a bit confused by those who think there will be a summer launch. The last time Apple announced a new phone in the summer the beta software was released to developers in April. iOS 8 beta won't be released until June. Is Apple really going to release a new phone and beta software at the same time? They're not going to announce a phone months before it ships because that certainly would kill current phone sales. How can they release a new phone in June if that's the first time anyone is seeing iOS 8?
  • Reply 4 of 37
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I'm growing tired of your uninspired troll comments.

Not only does it make perfect sense, it is happening. Enough leaks have confirmed it. It's happening. And I'm glad. Because I'm right handed, and it should have been in the top left all along.
  • Reply 5 of 37

I prefer the power button on the top. On other types of phone with it on the side I constantly got confused as to which was power and which was volume or camera shutter. Result, choppy experience with the phone and occasional swears.

Given the iPhone's power button hardly ever needs pressing (since the menu button wakes the phone up when you need it to and it goes to sleep on its own after a bit) I hardly ever use it. Seems to me silly to move it and break all that muscle memory everyone who owns any iPhone already has.

That said, it's hardly the biggest problem in the world if they do move it. I can think of worse things to worry about!

• Reply 6 of 37
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Also. I'm a bit confused by those who think there will be a summer launch. The last time Apple announced a new phone in the summer the beta software was released to developers in April. iOS 8 beta won't be released until June. Is Apple really going to release a new phone and beta software at the same time? They're not going to announce a phone months before it ships because that certainly would kill current phone sales. How can they release a new phone in June if that's the first time anyone is seeing iOS 8?

It's not out of the question for iPhones to launch and ship with iOS 7.x. It's starting to look like that might be the case, because of how early this info is coming out.

Otherwise you're right, it will wait until September like the last two years...yet still technically summer.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    pmz wrote: »
    It's not out of the question for iPhones to launch and ship with iOS 7.x. It's starting to look like that might be the case, because of how early this info is coming out.

Otherwise you're right, it will wait until September like the last two years...yet still technically summer.
    Has Apple ever shipped new phones with old software? I'm not saying it isn't possible but seems odd. Especially considering there most likely will be new features that require new software. I don't see what the point is of releasing a new phone if all it's capabilities can't be used when you buy it. And I absolutely do not see Apple announcing the phone in June but not shipping it until September.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Eventually rumors based on rumors will reinforce the original rumor by corroborating it. Then you have a self sustaining cyclone of plausible falsehoods reinforcing each other.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Has Apple ever shipped new phones with old software? I'm not saying it isn't possible but seems odd. Especially considering there most likely will be new features that require new software. I don't see what the point is of releasing a new phone if all it's capabilities can't be used when you buy it. And I absolutely do not see Apple announcing the phone in June but not shipping it until September.

They shipped the 1st iPad with old iOS. I think its Possible that Apple release the phone with special iOS 7.X just for the larger iPhone. 

• Reply 10 of 37
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Make sense if the iPhone becomes much bigger..
  • Reply 11 of 37
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    So many rumors so early.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    fracfrac Posts: 480member

Not sure it's absurd. I for one would prefer it for one handed use rather than the present two handed situation where sometimes the phone flips out of my hand if I otherwise try to be smart.:\
  • Reply 13 of 37
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member

Since most iPhone users are going to hold out on upgrading until they can get the subsidized price from their cell provider, I don't see Apple releasing a new unit until September the earliest. I for one can't get ATT to allow me to upgrade until September, and millions of others are in the same boat. It wouldn't look good for sales numbers if the phone was release to minimum adoption. It's bad enough that rumors imply Apple will demand a$100 more from the cell providers, who I'm sure will pass  some of that added cost onto consumers.

While they might have an event earlier to hype the new iOS and hardware, as others have pointed out, doing it too early will kill current sales. I think we'll see iOS8 at WWDC and new hardware to support it in the fall. BWDIK?

• Reply 14 of 37
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But maybe there are camera related reasons it had to be moved.

Presently, when holding the phone in landscape, the volume-up button functions as a shutter release (a nod to us old-school photogs).  For me, that means bracing the bottom of the phone with my thumb, more or less near the "new" power/sleep location.

Unless they're revamping the camera interface, that's a horrible place for that button.

• Reply 15 of 37
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    pmz wrote: »

Not only does it make perfect sense, it is happening. Enough leaks have confirmed it. It's happening. And I'm glad. Because I'm right handed, and it should have been in the top left all along.

"For those who are right-handed, this is good news. A pity it's not on the top left though".
  • Reply 16 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Moving the sleep/wake button to the right is the most absurd thing I've heard.

You… don’t believe these leaks? I believe them. People haven’t put any actual effort into faking things since the early naughties. Anytime in the last 8 years we’ve seen something with actual work put into it, it has been real.

This is the first post-Steve product out of Apple. It’s one of the most idiotic things Apple has done, but this looks real to me. We can only hope the larger one is an iPod touch and not an iPhone.

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I’m growing tired of people not knowing what a troll is.

That’s how they worm their way in here in the first place.

• Reply 17 of 37
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You… don’t believe these leaks? I believe them. People haven’t put any actual effort into faking things since the early naughties. Anytime in the last 8 years we’ve seen something with actual work put into it, it has been real.

This is the first post-Steve product out of Apple. It’s one of the most idiotic things Apple has done, but this looks real to me. We can only hope the larger one is an iPod touch and not an iPhone.

I’m growing tired of people not knowing what a troll is.

That’s how they worm their way in here in the first place.

You also thought that the iPad mini was idiotic yet that turned out to be a big seller for Apple.  With the introduction of a bigger-screen iPhone, I predict you will be proven wrong again.

• Reply 18 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s one of the most idiotic things Apple has done, but this looks real to me. 

We'll have to wait and see.  I think the larger phone looks nice. Not too big. I'll wait to decide once I can see it in person. They will probably still offer the current size as well so everyone should be happy.

• Reply 19 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

You also thought that the iPad mini was idiotic yet that turned out to be a big seller for Apple. 

Has it? Did we ever get those numbers? If a tablet that can’t be used as a tablet sells, I figure a phone that can’t be used as a phone will sell, too.

Doesn’t mean the product will be good or, again, usable.

• Reply 20 of 37
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    While we quibble Apple will sell record numbers of phones and tablets.