Hyundai's CarPlay-equipped 2015 Sonata will likely be costly

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
Customers looking to purchase a new CarPlay-equipped vehicle from Hyundai may experience sticker shock, as the company has said that the feature will only be available alongside a navigation system, an upgrade that could cost thousands of dollars.

According to Hyundai, CarPlay will be "available on 2015 Sonatas equipped with navigation later in the 2015 model year." Hyundai unveiled the 2015 edition last last month.

The cheapest way for buyers to get a 2014 model year Sonata with a navigation system is to add the $3,000 "Premium Package" to the purchase of a Sonata -- itself already upgraded to the SE trim level, which costs some $2,850 more. That package also nets buyers a power sunroof, blind spot detection system, a premium audio system, and a subscription to traffic, weather, sports, and stock updates that are delivered on the in-dash touchscreen.

That combination ratchets the manufacturers' suggested retail price up to just over $27,000 before tax, nearly $6,000 more than the base model Sonata GLS.

Bundling CarPlay with premium accessory packages and trim levels may drive price-conscious buyers into the arms of aftermarket manufacturers. CarPlay-compatible head units from Alpine are expected to start at just $500, while Pioneer said on Tuesday that its dashboard installable kits will start at $700.

While it is unknown exactly what tack other Apple partners will take when it comes to offering CarPlay as an option, few marques cater to the same financial strata of consumers as Hyundai, who have long been known to strive for affordability. The majority of Apple's other CarPlay partners -- like Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, and Volvo, who have already shown of CarPlay-equipped vehicles of their own -- are known as premium brands.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

Uhhh... So? Many are already equipped with navigation, anyway. It would seem a little out of character to offer such a premium feature as CarPlay on a car with manually-operated windows!

• Reply 2 of 58
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Car makers have always ripped people off for the most basic features. Many still charge well of $1000 just for navigation, which is many cases is not as good as standalone systems or even what can be done on a phone.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Car makers have always ripped people off for the most basic features. Many still charge well of $1000 just for navigation, which is many cases is not as good as standalone systems or even what can be done on a phone.

The navigation in my Ford is pretty good, but standalone units work so much better when trying to find an address or looking up a POI. I always use my Garmin on road trips along with the navigation in my vehicle.

• Reply 4 of 58
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Bet if Steve was still around, crap like this would make him seriously contemplate building his own car.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Just plunked down a ridiculous amount for nav in the wife's new honda. Wouldn't have thought twice about it if carplay was included.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Wonder if the long arm of Samsung is involved in making Apple's product too pricey for most.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Just plunked down a ridiculous amount for nav in the wife's new honda. Wouldn't have thought twice about it if carplay was included.

Best nav system - iPhone (pick your app or use Apple Maps), Pro-clip bracket, charging + audio connectivity. It'll set you back somewhere between 50 and 150 bucks depending on what kind / age car you have. You get the best navigation, handsfree dialling etc, never have to charge your phone as long as you spend half an hour per day in your car, all your music & radio etc, with Siri.  Not as elegant as CarPlay perhaps but pretty good nonetheless.

• Reply 8 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Bet if Steve was still around, crap like this would make him seriously contemplate building his own car.

He DID when he was around. I want to see those drawings.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    OEM navi is so over priced when we all have a GPS unit in our pockets
  • Reply 10 of 58
    paxman wrote: »
    Best nav system - iPhone (pick your app or use Apple Maps), Pro-clip bracket, charging + audio connectivity. It'll set you back somewhere between 50 and 150 bucks depending on what kind / age car you have. You get the best navigation, handsfree dialling etc, never have to charge your phone as long as you spend half an hour per day in your car, all your music & radio etc, with Siri.  Not as elegant as CarPlay perhaps but pretty good nonetheless.

Agreed, Pax. But having the cables and having to hookup everytime b/c of battery life is not convenient. But as u say, better than other options. The car manufacturers will put the screws to us for CarPlay-Apple's elegant solution
  • Reply 11 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This shouldn't shock anyone as the only way to get that 8" high-resolution color LCD touchscreen is to get the package with the navigation system. There is no artificial limiting of CarPlay here. The Sonata starts off with a simple, monochrome display for the AM/FM radio in the base model which you can upgrade to a 4.3" color LCD touchscreen audio system, but I'm not it controls other features of the car, is quite small for CarPlay and likely not allowed by Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 58

Why does this article exist? It tells us what we already know. Every car manufacturer out there has crappy packages to hide the features you do want with a bunch that you don't want so they can jack up the average retail price of their cars. Is this at all surprising? This is exactly what Cable companies do with programming as well. 

• Reply 13 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Why does this article exist? It tells us what we already know. Every car manufacturer out there has crappy packages to hide the features you do want with a bunch that you don't want so they can jack up the average retail price of their cars. Is this at all surprising? This is exactly what Cable companies do with programming as well. 

This is not the same since it's not a check box on an account to allow the same exact cable box everyone has to access more content. I'm not saying it's not overpriced or that they don't build packages to put a single desirable option with a bunch of crappy ones, but this does require certain HW for CarPlay to work. The 2-line monochrome display for the AM/FM radio isn't going to cut it.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    I remember when the Korean cars first came to the US market. They were so cheap that if you wanted to make an emergency stop, u just turned on the air conditioning. :)

I recently rented a Hyundai elantra and after I got over the 15 different shades of plastic in the interior, it was actually pretty good in that I enjoyed the performance and the 40 miles per gallon.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

"few marques cater to the same financial strata of consumers as Hyundai, who have long been known to strive for affordability"

Yeah, right, "few" car companies compete for that niche market of "affordable" cars.  In reality Huyndai is competing directly with the everyone else for the core of the market.

• Reply 16 of 58
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

The biggest ripoff in terms of inflating car costs are dealerships.Have you evel looked at the dealer added costs on a car? I read that dealers actually add anywhere from 10 to 30% to the cost and for what?  It is unfortunate that we can't simply log on to a manufacturer website, customize the car to our liking and buy it from them directly. I think the only company that currently allows this is Tesla. New jersey actually just passed a law I believe to prevent Tesla from selling direct in that state which staggers the mind. Imagine if states told Apple they were not allowed to have their own Apple stores and instead had to sell through BestBuy, Target, etc...Apple's growth over the last several years was partly attributable to the fantastic experience you can get at an Apple store that added a huge value to the brand. 

• Reply 17 of 58
    mauijoemauijoe Posts: 77member
    If Alpine has a aftermarket car stereo coming for $500 it won't be long before you can get a Kenwood or sony for $199, iv been holding off on a new head unit for my '86 Toyota 4x4. Can't wait...
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Wonder if the long arm of Samsung is involved in making Apple's product too pricey for most.

Probably not. The more likely reason is:
    1. Apple users are made out of money
    2. Unnecessary packaging of features = more money (like cable companies package channels.)
    3. Mo' money = win
    4. Apple users are willing to "pay a premium" for nice things
    5. The Sonata is only available with a color LCD panel if ordered with nav system
    6. Money is yummy if you blend it with yogurt and crushed ice
  • Reply 19 of 58
    What makes sense to me:

Take a standard iPad Air WiFi ($499-699) and:
    [LIST]
    [*] attach it to the dash with a [suction cup or somesuch] case/holder
    [*] attach it to the iPhone via AirPlay
    [*] attach the iPhone to the car systems (QNX) via available standerd interface
    [/LIST]

This way the QNX could supply all the car controls/info through the iPhone.

The iPad/iPhone could supply maps, navigation, traffic, weather, etc.

Backseat iPads could be standalone or AirPlay-connected to the iPhone for infotainment.

The total cost would be much less. It would be easily and inexpensively upgradable

Best of all -- all the devices can be removed from the vehicle -- used as standalone -- and would not tempt car break ins.,

You are in the car watching a movie or planning your trip. You stop for lunch (or for the night) -- [B][I]you take your infotainment with you -- [COLOR=blue]it does you absolutely no good in the garage or parking lot![/COLOR][/I][/B]

Built-in car infotainment ... We don't need no stinkin' built-in car infotainment!
  • Reply 20 of 58
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    hope it will roll out as a $500 or less option, otherwise, it seems like mounting my iPhone and using bluetooth is a better option.