Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer is reportedly working on a plan to convince Apple to change the default iOS search engine from Google to a new Yahoo solution, which could deal a significant blow to Google's ad income.

Marissa Mayer

Citing unnamed sources, Re/code reports Mayer and Yahoo SVP of mobile Adam Cahan are "aggressively" working to increase revenue with a pair of search-related projects. Most important, sources say, is a search engine and monetization platform that would harness Apple's vast user iPhone and iPad user base by usurping Google as iOS' default search engine.

"This is the aim of the whole effort here, to grab the pole position in iOS search," said one source who is reportedly working on the project. "It will take more than pretty pictures though to convince Apple to give up Google, given its focus on consumer experience being top-notch. But Marissa wants it very badly."

Google search has for quite some time been the default search engine in iOS and powers Safari, while Microsoft's Bing now drives Siri. Apple's decision to stick with Google's services is in part due to a familiar user experience. Google also pays Apple some $1 billion per year for traffic driven to its servers and subsequent ad network.

As noted by the publication, Yahoo has in the past attempted to build out its search engine and ad technology offerings, but those swings have largely missed. Mayer's renewed effort is said to be in advanced stages, with a detailed overview and images already prepared for pitching Apple executives. Mayer has supposedly wrangled support from a few Apple execs including longtime acquaintance Jony Ive.

With the latest iOS revisions, Apple has included Yahoo's data into an increasing number of apps and services. Most apparent is the Weather app, though iOS also calls on Yahoo for sports scores and other information.

Currently, iPhone and iPad users can switch to Yahoo's existing service or Bing via the iOS Settings app or when activating a new device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 178
    tomhayestomhayes Posts: 128member
    She's pretty.
  • Reply 2 of 178
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

She's pretty.

She's pretty smart, too.

• Reply 3 of 178

I'd do it. The less Google infests my iOS devices the better imo.

• Reply 4 of 178
    jchanjchan Posts: 4member
    That's what I call a lover's revenge ;-)
  • Reply 5 of 178
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Do it!

I actually own a tiny bit of Yahoo stock, and yesterday was a damn good day for Yhoo!

• Reply 6 of 178
    deepkiddeepkid Posts: 97member

Now why the hell would anyone trust her search engine after she picked that ugly, backwards logo? 0_o

• Reply 7 of 178
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

They could do it but most people would switch back to Google. All it takes is one simple click in Safari settings so then Google would still get most iOS users but wouldn't have to pay Apple a billion a year. Not a good move

• Reply 8 of 178
    jchanjchan Posts: 4member
    That's what I call an ex-lover's revenge ;-)
  • Reply 9 of 178
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    deepkid wrote: »
    Now why the hell would anyone trust her search engine after she picked that ugly, backwards logo? 0_o

She has lousy taste in logos (the old one was much better), but she rose high in the ranks at Google.
  • Reply 10 of 178
    gwmac wrote: »
    They could do it but most people would switch back to Google. All it takes is one simple click in Safari settings so then Google would still get most iOS users but wouldn't have to pay Apple a billion a year. Not a good move

I think you greatly overestimate how much "most people" care or even think about such things.

I personally have been using Yahoo exclusively on my iOS devices and Macs for the last 6 months, and I like it a lot!
  • Reply 11 of 178
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Now we know what Ive and Mayer discuss at these fancy San Francisco shindigs. :D

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/16kxfk4.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 12 of 178
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

YES YES YES YES YES YES!  Pleaseeee!   But....

• Reply 13 of 178
    But Google isn't the default search in iOS. It's been Bing at least since 7.0 showed up.

Also, most people wouldn't, since they don't actually give a crap. They'll say they're "googling" it, and use whatever system default is installed. Most people aren't geeky and don't even notice what OS they're running, so how will they know what search engine is the default?

Google sucks anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 178
    I also have been using yahoo by default for a year now, no issues whatsoever.

What I don't fully understand is this powered by bing thing. Does it mean that we are using bing and just have it show up on a yahoo "face".
    Would it be advisable to just uses bing?
  • Reply 15 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Now we know what Ive and Mayer discuss at these fancy San Francisco shindigs. image

So Ive does own clothing other than t-shirts :-)

• Reply 16 of 178
    I will give Yahoo a try.
  • Reply 17 of 178
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    That would be a helluva coup for Yahoo!

I haven't used Yahoo for years - is it any good? Usability compared to Google?
  • Reply 18 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

So Ive does own clothing other than t-shirts :-)

Own? No. Rental.

• Reply 19 of 178
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    One thing I use a lot with Google is basic conversions '3972' usd to gbp', for instance, or '22 c to f', or whatever. I would miss the convenience of that.
  • Reply 20 of 178
    Oh no I hope not! I have nothing against Marissa just not ready to give up on Google. All have the choice of choosing default search engine and this must stay