Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine

Comments

• Reply 21 of 178
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Own? No. Rental.
    Do you really think someone worth millions of dollars rents clothing?
  • Reply 22 of 178
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gwmac wrote: »
    They could do it but most people would switch back to Google. All it takes is one simple click in Safari settings so then Google would still get most iOS users but wouldn't have to pay Apple a billion a year. Not a good move

Most users wouldn't care. Perhaps if Y! Offers more money than Google...
  • Reply 23 of 178
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    paxman wrote: »
    One thing I use a lot with Google is basic conversions '3972' usd to gbp', for instance, or '22 c to f', or whatever. I would miss the convenience of that.
    How would you miss it when you can open Safari and go to Google.com?
  • Reply 24 of 178
    I admit I didn't even know they had a search engine. I thought they just had a directory of sorts. Maybe that was back in the 90's...but that was probably the last time I visited yahoo.com!
  • Reply 25 of 178
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

I already dropped Google for just about everything and after the email data mining revelation, I suggested dropping gmail to several family members and friends. Using Yahoo for search isn't that bad and I only occasionally use Google maps when something doesn't work in Apple Maps. I got rid of my gmail account months ago and am glad I did. gmail had all sorts of problems for me when managing email using Apple Mail (go ahead and say it way Apple Mail's fault, I don't care, I'm not going back). As for using Google for calculations, I just use the Calculator widget. It works fine for me. 

btw: @paxmantry this in Safari when Yahoo is your search engine. It works

I don't own Yahoo stock but do own Apple stock. 

• Reply 26 of 178
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

One thing I use a lot with Google is basic conversions '3972' usd to gbp', for instance, or '22 c to f', or whatever. I would miss the convenience of that.

It works with Bing, or just ask Siri.

I forgot my gmail password the other day, goodbye last Google thing I was using.

Now I am Google free apart from their scumbag, surreptitious surveillance using little booby traps all over the web, which I actively block.

It is liberating.

To think I started promoting them when they first came out of Stanford before chasing the dollar and hypocrisy wiped out their early ideals.

• Reply 27 of 178
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Shojin Monkey View Post

I admit I didn't even know they had a search engine. I thought they just had a directory of sorts. Maybe that was back in the 90's...but that was probably the last time I visited yahoo.com!

I had Geocities.

• Reply 28 of 178
    IMHO:

The trick here is to do to content discovery what apple did to hardware. Make search work for me, not some random scumbag company willing to pay the most to try and scam me into accessing their content.

For Apple the purpose is to make insanely great products that add value to a customers life experiences. Ridiculous profits are a happy byproduct, not the purpose. (Of course they don't set out to lose money, either.)

Likewise with search, I don't care if advertising is used to subsidise search, but when it became the purpose of search, the product failed, the company (Google) lost its mojo, and an opening appeared in a massive market for a better, more honest solution.

Also, neat if someone can come up with an automated system that can (again, objectively, honestly, without corporate corruption) classify and rank internet content, based on user experience.

Quality, quality, quality. It's what we will pay for more than all the convenience and comfort in the world.
  • Reply 29 of 178
    cwscws Posts: 59member

He rented that tux.

• Reply 30 of 178
    This is great news. I've been using Yahoo search for a few years now—it's excellent. Haven't given Google another glance.

The cracks are showing in Google's latest results. Investors seem to be finally waking up to the truth about Google: they are a one-hit, two-faced dinosaur of the old internet. Not only is desktop declining, but people won't pay for mobile ads. And people aren't seeing as many ads because they're using apps or Siri instead of search.

Were Google to lose their default on iOS, that would be a body blow to them.
  • Reply 31 of 178
    radster360 wrote: »
    So Ive does own clothing other than t-shirts :-)

I imagine he may even own a sock or two...
  • Reply 32 of 178
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

I just don't know.   Switch from one evil to the next?   It similar to desire to switch from Samsung to Intel for fab.    Given the opportunity both Yahoo and Intel would be Apple competitors of the future. All we would be doing is rolling back the clock awaiting history to repeat itself with a different search and HW partner who have asperations to be in Google's and Samsung's position and steal from Apple in the future.   FU to both of them.

• Reply 33 of 178
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    I also have been using yahoo by default for a year now, no issues whatsoever.

What I don't fully understand is this powered by bing thing. Does it mean that we are using bing and just have it show up on a yahoo "face".
    Would it be advisable to just uses bing?
    http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/10/technology/yahoo-microsoft/index.html

Who knows where things may be going...
  • Reply 34 of 178
    snova wrote: »
    I just don't know.   Switch from one evil to the next?   It similar to desire to switch from Samsung to Intel for fab.    Given the opportunity both Yahoo and Intel would be Apple competitors of the future. All we would be doing is rolling back the clock awaiting history to repeat itself with a different search and HW partner who have asperations to be in Google's and Samsung's position and steal from Apple in the future.   FU to both of them.

Apple won't be able to provide every service on a smartphone. Right now going with yahoo! instead of google would seem to be the lesser evil so I'm up for it.
  • Reply 35 of 178
    snova wrote: »

Perhaps; but Marissa is a sweet-looking, smiley blonde. That may tip the balance.
  • Reply 36 of 178
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member

iPhone, iPad, iPod, iMac, MacBook and MacBook Air here ...

The very 1st thing I must do is to change default search from google to Bing. It's been a few years now.

But, I may give a chance to Yahoo and soon.

• Reply 37 of 178
    Well both google and Microsoft are completion, google is on apples list to get rid of, it's very possible.
  • Reply 38 of 178
    radster360 wrote: »
    So Ive does own clothing other than t-shirts :-)

Steve Jobs attended the Academy Awards in a full tux. (But he wore jeans and black mock turtleneck and white New Balance sneakers when having dinner with POTUS.)
  • Reply 39 of 178
    disturbia wrote: »
    iPhone, iPad, iPod, iMac, MacBook and MacBook Air here ...

The very 1st thing I must do is to change default search from google to Bing. It's been a few years now.

But, I may give a chance to Yahoo and soon.

Good for you! Glad to hear you may give them a try. Aren't Bing and Yahoo the same search engine?
  • Reply 40 of 178
    paxman wrote: »

And google would miss capturing all that raw data from you. I prefer to use apps.