Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine

Comments

• Reply 41 of 178

Long term plan is Apple swallowing Yahoo's infrastructure, re-branding it with a new look and feel.  Mayer eventually in line as Apple CEO after Cook.

• Reply 42 of 178
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Would love a chance to see apples version of a search engine. You know they've had to at least toy with the idea at some point.
  • Reply 43 of 178
    I guess at this point the only difference between bing and yahoo is that if you use yahoo you actually contribute to yahoo ad earnings and a little to MS. If you use bing directly all the earnings go to MS alone.
  • Reply 44 of 178
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    rogifan wrote: »
    How would you miss it when you can open Safari and go to Google.com?
    You really didn't get my point?
  • Reply 45 of 178
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    And google would miss capturing all that raw data from you. I prefer to use apps.
    Yes but I spend most if the day on my Mac. I am in Canada and Yahoo doesn't offer many of the conversions I see above. It does do the currency conversion, but that's all.
  • Reply 46 of 178
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    paxman wrote: »
    You really didn't get my point?
    I don't think you have to worry. This is just rumor, and so far apparently only what Yahoo is pushing for, not something Apple has agreed to.
  • Reply 47 of 178
    hametahameta Posts: 79member
    I Just Want to Say ONE THING.

[B][I][SIZE=5][COLOR=#f09]Bing EXCELS Google at Bigger Margin WHEN IT COMES TO IMAGE SEARCH ![/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]

Especially When YOU're on Safari Browser, Whether Desktop or Mobile.

I Have NEVER THOUGHT I Would Say THAT.
    BECAUSE As Far As SEARCH ENGINE is Concerned, Google WAS Invincible.
    But NOW The World SEEMS Changing.
    After I Found IT, I NEVER USE Google When I Search Various Images.
    Try Bing When You Search IMAGES on Safari !
    Key Word is " Other Size ".

So WHO KNOWS Bing Might ONE DAY Beat and Expel Google in Every SEARCH ?

Edit : I Affirmed Bing's Image Search WORKS Excellent on Chrome too.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/41913/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 48 of 178
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This seems doable to me. All Yahoo! would have to do is pay Apple enough for this spot. They could probably even undercut what Google pays Apple for this privilege since it would probably help Apple to lessen Google's (default) control of search on Mac OS X and iOS.

tomhayes wrote: »
    She's pretty.

Very!
    She's pretty smart, too.

Very!
  • Reply 49 of 178
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!
    Desperate woman!
  • Reply 50 of 178
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    I guess at this point the only difference between bing and yahoo is that if you use yahoo you actually contribute to yahoo ad earnings and a little to MS. If you use bing directly all the earnings go to MS alone.

Microsoft found yet another good idea in Google's stable of services. Coming soon to MS homepage look for personalized info cards, just like Google Now.
  • Reply 51 of 178
    maccherry wrote: »
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!
    Desperate woman!

Sigh...women are always jealous of each other; one of their great weaknesses.
  • Reply 52 of 178
    paxman wrote: »
    One thing I use a lot with Google is basic conversions '3972' usd to gbp', for instance, or '22 c to f', or whatever. I would miss the convenience of that.

How would that change if you can easily just set your default search engine back to Google?
  • Reply 53 of 178
    Sigh...women people are always jealous of each other; one of their humanities great weaknesses.

I think that is more accurate now. I'm very jealous of that handsome guy I see in every mirror I pass¡
  • Reply 54 of 178
    Maybe I'll just go back to excite...
  • Reply 55 of 178
    Never gonna happen. Apple would build a search engine from the ground up before using Yahoo as default.
  • Reply 56 of 178
    Maybe I'll just go back to excite...

O M G ! ! ! ! That still exists: http://excite.com

PS: Note that on mail page they offer a Standard and Secure login option with the default being Standard. If you click Secure it doesn't load any SSL. Is that just a dummy site?
  • Reply 57 of 178
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I think that is more accurate now. I'm very jealous of that handsome guy I see in every mirror I pass¡

50% less accurate, give or take a few percent for the men who are 'old women'. Jealous of your own shadow, eh?
  • Reply 58 of 178
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Microsoft found yet another good idea in Google's stable of services. Coming soon to MS homepage look for personalized info cards, just like Google Now.

As ever AI's resident Google spokesman chimes in, Google pillages whatever they care to use from others, too bad if it comes back on them.

• Reply 59 of 178
    Never gonna happen. Apple would build a search engine from the ground up before using Yahoo as default.

Never say never, Mr. Infinity.
  • Reply 60 of 178
    solipsismx wrote: »
    O M G ! ! ! ! That still exists: http://excite.com
    I was surprised too. If I remember correctly, Apple directed traffic there as a homepage back in the day. I just know that was my default for a while. Seems there was another as well, but I can't recall.