Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine

Comments

• Reply 61 of 178
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
  • Reply 62 of 178
    Altavista?
  • Reply 63 of 178
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

O M G ! ! ! ! That still exists: http://excite.com

Wow. It says excite is owned by  Mindspark Interactive Network, Inc, which apparently owns Vimeo as well, at least according to the info at the bottom of the excite home page

• Reply 64 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Long term plan is Apple swallowing Yahoo's infrastructure, re-branding it with a new look and feel.  Mayer eventually in line as Apple CEO after Cook.

While I don't agree that any new CEO of Apple should be brought in from the outside, I do believe that there would be something in Apple at least acquiring Yahoo and having Mayer on their team. Imagine all the ways Apple could repurpose Yahoo to add value and pull-in for iDevices. They wouldn't even have to get into the business of selling ad space.

• Reply 65 of 178
    While I don't agree that any new CEO of Apple should be brought in from the outside, I do believe that there would be something in Apple at least acquiring Yahoo and having Mayer on their team. Imagine all the ways Apple could repurpose Yahoo to add value and pull-in for iDevices. They wouldn't even have to get into the business of selling ad space.

Yeah, they've clearly had a good relationship for some while. I like your idea, or at least some kind of partnership, investment or amalgamation. I get the feeling there's a synergy there with Marissa.
  • Reply 66 of 178
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

You people can't remember how god-awful Search was before Google came along: genius!  Yahoo sucked giant donkey balls then and still does but now in Google-copy sort of way. (The shame is Google couldn't stick to their strengths... )

The best thing Yahoo ever did was Geocities; everyone at Chez Enz (age 7 to me) had their own FREE! custom site updated with consumate ease (even by the 7 yr old) with the bloody amazing Claris Home Page 3. (Who said tech and software only get better? Check out Word, Endnote and Chemdraw for more proof it often goes from pleasure to pain.)

Enz

• Reply 67 of 178
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    hill60 wrote: »
    As ever AI's resident Google spokesman chimes in, Google pillages whatever they care to use from others, too bad if it comes back on them.

That's why the techs need to keep creating, improving and innovating. There's no preventing a competitor from recognizing a good idea and working out their own way of using it to their benefit. The trick is just to do it better and make sure consumers know about it.

One thing you know for certain. Google isn't suing over it. I almost think they take pride in other companies building on their ideas as you never hear a complaint.
  • Reply 68 of 178
    enzos wrote: »
    You people can't remember how god-awful Search was before Google came along: genius!  Yahoo sucked giant donkey balls then and still does but now in Google-copy sort of way. (The shame is Google couldn't stick to their strengths... )

The best thing Yahoo ever did was Geocities; everyone at Chez Enz (age 7 to me) had their own FREE! custom site updated with consumate ease (even by the 7 yr old) with the bloody amazing Claris Home Page 3. (Who said tech and software only get better? Check out Word, Endnote and Chemdraw for more proof it often goes from pleasure to pain.)

Enz

My principle memory of Geocities is that the sites were down most of the time.

I guess if Apple acquire them, Yahoo will be able to suckle on giant unicorn balls of fluff.
  • Reply 69 of 178
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Altavista?

Dogpile? Web Crawler? Lycos? AskJeeves? 

• Reply 70 of 178
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    Mayer made 60M in the last 2 years at yahoo while their financials have gone nowhere. The stock is up thanks to the pre-Mayer era purchase of Alibaba stake. How would Mayer convince apple to make Yahoo default? Lots of cash. However the experience for Apple users would fall and if Apple's goal is the best user experience then switching to Yahoo is a big mistake.

I use Google app for all my searches on iPhone. The voice search is great and for 95% of general questions and searches it outperforms Siri. There are some specific searches and tasks Siri is great at and beats Google's app at least for now.

If Cook takes the bait on this one then I know Apple really has jumped the shark. Yahoo is not the search leader for a reason and pairing up with them would be a gross error. I don't think Cook would do it but he's surprised me with some other insanely stupid things and inactions so wouldn't be a complete surprise either if he did
  • Reply 71 of 178
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: Note that on mail page they offer a Standard and Secure login option with the default being Standard. If you click Secure it doesn't load any SSL. Is that just a dummy site?

It is sort of secure. It has a mixture of secure and non-secure elements on the page. But it is only 128 bit which I did not know was even an option. I thought 1024 was the lowest encryption you could use. Actually there is something weird going on. It does say in the certificate details that it is 2048 bits. The page is just not coded correctly for SSL. Safari doesn't let you access any of that information unless the page is actually secure. Chrome just pops up a warning but you can still access the certificate info.

• Reply 72 of 178
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Quote:

Sigh...women are always jealous of each other; one of their great weaknesses.

Who is the other one?  I am curious!  ;)

• Reply 73 of 178
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Desperate woman!

Sigh...women are always jealous of each other; one of their great weaknesses.

are you suggesting that Brin is really a jealous little girl?

• Reply 74 of 178
    mvigod wrote: »
    Mayer made 60M in the last 2 years at yahoo while their financials have gone nowhere. The stock is up thanks to the pre-Mayer era purchase of Alibaba stake. How would Mayer convince apple to make Yahoo default? Lots of cash. However the experience for Apple users would fall and if Apple's goal is the best user experience then switching to Yahoo is a big mistake.

I use Google app for all my searches on iPhone. The voice search is great and for 95% of general questions and searches it outperforms Siri. There are some specific searches and tasks Siri is great at and beats Google's app at least for now.

If Cook takes the bait on this one then I know Apple really has jumped the shark. Yahoo is not the search leader for a reason and pairing up with them would be a gross error. I don't think Cook would do it but he's surprised me with some other insanely stupid things and inactions so wouldn't be a complete surprise either if he did

Since you use the Google app for search, you have no interest in what the default search engine in Safari is. Oh, you're a troll. Shut up and go away.
  • Reply 75 of 178
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Who is the other one?  I am curious!  ;)

I'm so sorry; I should have said: one of their many great weaknesses. ????
  • Reply 76 of 178
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    It is sort of secure. It has a mixture of secure and non-secure elements on the page. But it is only 128 bit which I did not know was even an option. I thought 1024 was the lowest encryption you could use. Actually there is something weird going on. It does say in the certificate details that it is 2048 bits. The page is just not coded correctly for SSL.

[image]

Safari on Mac flashes the HTTPS for a second before removing it again. The only elements I could find on the page that show up secure are the two lock images that link to: https://registration.excite.com/excitereg/images/key.gif
  • Reply 77 of 178
    snova wrote: »
    are you suggesting that Brin is really a jealous little girl?

Woah—are you telling me that maccherry is a jealous little girl called Brin?!?
  • Reply 78 of 178
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

i switched to yahoo when they began more secure searches

BUT

living with yahoo search needs more tools for mobile

i would like to search over a given time frame, say 24hrs, week, month etc like google tools allows me

integrate searches to apple maps.... e.g.  searching for county clerks office, restaurant, businesses

better image search where you can mag up the image for better detail and the source web site  trying to view the parts for a special lock i have was a pain

more relevant

so for the privacy i got a vpn app, privacy app, and went back to google

wish yahoo was better,   apple can make it better

alternatives for privacy    blekko, duckduckgo,   ixquick    maybe apple could buy them all  

oh will NSA have access to my searches ???

• Reply 79 of 178
    nofeer wrote: »

oh will NSA have access to my searches ???

Yes; you're doomed.
  • Reply 80 of 178
    mariomario Posts: 348member

It would also deal a significant blow to Apple. Siri is already less useful because it uses Bing by default. If Safari becomes less useful as well, it's going to be third thing (maps, Siri, Safari) in iOS being second rate because Apple is having pointless feud with Google, and more reasons for users to switch away from what they already think is overpriced fashion toy.