Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine

Comments

• Reply 101 of 178
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

iPhone new Home screen...

• Reply 102 of 178
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Do you really think someone worth millions of dollars rents clothing?

Thomas Knoll, who created Photoshop, one of the most popular and most expensive software in the world, sold it to Adobe and then went back to work for them to get medical coverage! 

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/interview_with_thomas_knoll.shtml

• Reply 103 of 178
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,847member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by enzos View Post

You people can't remember how god-awful Search was before Google came along: genius!  Yahoo sucked giant donkey balls then and still does but now in Google-copy sort of way. (The shame is Google couldn't stick to their strengths... )

The best thing Yahoo ever did was Geocities; everyone at Chez Enz (age 7 to me) had their own FREE! custom site updated with consumate ease (even by the 7 yr old) with the bloody amazing Claris Home Page 3. (Who said tech and software only get better? Check out Word, Endnote and Chemdraw for more proof it often goes from pleasure to pain.)

Enz

Bullshit!

• Reply 104 of 178
    toysandme wrote: »
    Although more subtle, Google is almost as creepy as FaceBook. I have been using startpage.com for a while and a vpn that accepts prepaid credit cards bought in a store that has no video cameras. I always wait at least 3 months anyways just in case there is a video camera as they normally reuse the tapes after 30 days --6 months+ for banks. All set up with a used laptop bought at a flea market for cash, wiped clean and now with Ubuntu humming on it. Needless to say I never use my own ip and I never carry my own phone (Jacob Appelbaum: they are tracking devices with which you can also make phone calls) when I want privacy. A friend of mine is a computer science prof who told me "they" can still identify me. So I suggested to him that I could use his name and he wouldn't have to worry since they would know who I really was. He changed his mind. He doesn't want me to use his name...

Ah, but have you covered your tracks?
  • Reply 105 of 178
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danox View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

You people can't remember how god-awful Search was before Google came along: genius!  Yahoo sucked giant donkey balls then and still does but now in Google-copy sort of way. (The shame is Google couldn't stick to their strengths... )

The best thing Yahoo ever did was Geocities; everyone at Chez Enz (age 7 to me) had their own FREE! custom site updated with consumate ease (even by the 7 yr old) with the bloody amazing Claris Home Page 3. (Who said tech and software only get better? Check out Word, Endnote and Chemdraw for more proof it often goes from pleasure to pain.)

Enz

Bullshit!

remember when Google offered "Search" for your PC to replace Windows Explorer search because it was awful?  What were we thinking?!@$@?%!%$?!  I'm sure someone at Google got a woody over that idea.

-do no evil.  OMG

• Reply 106 of 178

Maybe she should phone back when Yahoo actually has their own search engine and isn't just repackaging bing.

• Reply 107 of 178
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Danox View Post

Bullshit!

On the contrary, what I said was all true. There's even a picture of Marissa up there ? riding one of the leftover giant donkey balls!

• Reply 108 of 178
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

Resurrect Sherlock Apple! And Marissa is cute like Cameron Diaz cute. BAM!

• Reply 109 of 178

undefined

• Reply 110 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

iPhone new Home screen...

did you care that text covers up her face? something tells me if it was a photo of Jobs or Ive, that wouldn't have happened.

• Reply 111 of 178
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    snova wrote: »
    did you care that text covers up her face? something tells me if it was a photo of Jobs or Ive, that wouldn't have happened.

You're right, because a photo of Jobs or Ive wouldn't have made his home screen as they're not as nice to look at.
  • Reply 112 of 178
    dimmok wrote: »
    And Marissa is cute like Cameron Diaz cute. BAM!

I honestly can't tell if that's a compliment or an insult.
  • Reply 114 of 178
    I just think the picture looks funny with "try again" at the bottom.
  • Reply 115 of 178
    I must be losing my mind, I thought Bing was the default search for iOS. At least for Siri... Can someone offer some clarity here?
  • Reply 116 of 178
    nathanimal wrote: »
    I must be losing my mind, I thought Bing was the default search for iOS. At least for Siri... Can someone offer some clarity here?

Your mind seems to be the one sane one… which must be maddening
  • Reply 117 of 178
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

She's done a horrible job of righting the teetering and full of holes Yahoo email ship.   

• Reply 118 of 178
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PPS: I'm surprised a company, like Google, hasn't ever created a secure "portal" with Chrome so that all traffic goes through them but is encrypted on the local end. I'd use it for sites like this. I'd rather have Google reading my data for their analytics than some hacker on local WiFi hotspot looking to steal my identity.

Chrome has supported secure web proxies for a while (http://www.igvita.com/2012/06/25/spdy-and-secure-proxy-support-in-google-chrome/). Are you looking for Google to run its own proxy server?

• Reply 119 of 178
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    I hope this happens!
  • Reply 120 of 178
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jlandd wrote: »
    She's done a horrible job of righting the teetering and full of holes Yahoo email ship.   

I agree that Yahoo's email has gotten worse, but their iOS apps are actually quite good.