Apple begins selling refurbished iPad mini with Retina display starting at $419 [u]

Posted:
in iPad edited April 2014
Consumers waiting for Apple to start offering refurbished models of its latest Retina display-equipped iPad mini need wait no longer as the tablet's Wi-Fi variants are now available with double-digit discounts from their off-the-shelf price.

Update: Apple's online store appears to have sold out of the 16-gigabyte Retina iPad mini variants, leaving only the 32-gigabyte and 64-gigabyte models available for purchase.

Apple originally listed the 16-gigabyte models for $339, a $60 savings from the $399 list price. 32-gigabyte models receive an $80 discount to $419, while 64-gigabyte models are marked down $90 to $509.

As per its usual practice with refurbished products, Apple offers the tablets with a full one-year warranty, and they are eligible for extended coverage with AppleCare. The company says consumers will receive a device with "a brand new battery and outer shell," meaning buyers should not experience any performance differential between their refurbished iPad and a similarly-specced new model.

At press time, only Wi-Fi-only models were available from the refurbished outlet. It is unknown why Wi-Fi and cellular models are excluded, nor when they might make an appearance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    That's a pretty sweet deal, if it includes a new battery and outer casing.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Good deal.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Excellent aftermarket solution once we can get a hack for CarPlay on the main screen.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Excellent deal!

And Apple refurbs are as good as new.

• Reply 5 of 15
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

$299 sweet spot, please. Just my wish, no, Apple wouldn't do that because they still rule the Tablet Universe. 

• Reply 6 of 15
    Correction, these are the normal iPad minis, not the ones with Retina display. Those are $419.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

$299 sweet spot, please. Just my wish, no, Apple wouldn't do that because they still rule the Tablet Universe. 

The non-retina iPad mini, which is a much worse device, retails for $299. So no, they wont. 

• Reply 8 of 15
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Need a 128gb or no deal.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    reydnreydn Posts: 73member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by universeman View Post

Correction, these are the normal iPad minis, not the ones with Retina display. Those are $419.

Actually, the non-retina iPad mini retails at $299 - so no way refurbs would be $339. This is a pretty good deal, but I'll continue to wait - I really don't mind buying a 2-year old device for 2/3 the cost.

• Reply 10 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by universeman View Post

Correction to your correction.

The mini retinas for $419 are the 32GB model.

The mini retina mentioned in the article for $339 appears to be gone already. Apple refurbs sell out quickly.

• Reply 11 of 15
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Waiting for an iPad mini with Touch ID, thankyouverymuch.  ;)

• Reply 12 of 15
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reydn View Post

Actually, the non-retina iPad mini retails at $299 - so no way refurbs would be $339. This is a pretty good deal, but I'll continue to wait - I really don't mind buying a 2-year old device for 2/3 the cost.

Say what you will, but I've bought an ASUS MeMO tablet. I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro and a family with these wants/needs, so a cheap tablet is fine at $86 refurbished. The tablet is fine for Kindle app, Nook app, IMDB and websurfing while watching a movie at home.

Would love to have a Retina iPad, but at $399 for 16 GB, can't do. And for refurbished, you have to add sale tax is some places.

Pretty tiresome that Apple loves the $_99.00 pricing scheme. 

• Reply 13 of 15
    That's a pretty sweet deal, if it includes a new battery and outer casing.
    Most defiantly usually does.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Most defiantly usually does.

All cooperatively never do.  /s

• Reply 15 of 15
    All cooperatively never do.  /s

People think it don't be like it is, but it do.