Poll: How stupid is the avergage PC consumer?

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 116
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    .ART is an AOL crappy thing. I always have to download the ability to read .ART files w/ IE.

I hate AOL.
  • Reply 102 of 116
    AHH! I hate AOL users.

Friend: So do you have AOL?

Me: No, thank god.

Friend: Oh that sucks. See, you can send messages and stuff. It's really cool.

Me: (Rolls Eyes) Yeah, I have Messenging Apps like ICQ and AIM, but I don't use AOL as an ISP or email client.

Friend: Oh that's too bad.

Me: No it really isn't.

Friend: But AOL rules!

Me: *walks away briskly*
  • Reply 103 of 116
    I have to buy a PC for my pre-press company. Right now I have all G4's and one BrisQue A/iX station. I registered with microsloth to get my Publisher Output Service kit. Well they send me the XP version of publisher so I can't use my softwindows 98.

To become a POS

I have to buy a POS PC.

Anyways I think I'm gonna get a P4 VAIO with the Gforce 3 in it so I can see what this Half Life thing I keep hearing about is.
  • Reply 104 of 116
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>Here's another little dumb PC user story:

Yesterday my friend calls me from the Mac lab at my school. The janitor had let him in since school was closed on Saturday. He wanted to edit a movie he made on his camera in iMovie. he says, "ok, I have my Firewire camera, and I hooked up a USB cable to the Mac and opened iMovie. Nothing happend!!!" So I said, "Dude, you hooked a USB cable to it. you need a Firewire cable!"

FRIEND: "what's that?"

ME: "it's the one with a connecter that looks like a house."

FRIEND: "oh, I don't have one. Damn, Macs suck, PCs are so much better at this stuff!"

ME: "than why are you using a Mac?"

FRIEND: "cause the PC doesn't have firewire or movie software."

ME: "oh, so the PC can't edit movie and yet it's better. I see. Tell ya what. Go to CompUSA and pick up a firewire cable, I'm sure they'll help you find what you are looking for. Make sure to tell them that it's for a Mac." </strong><hr></blockquote>

UPDATE!!!

My friend got the firewire cable, used iMovie and now has put $2500 in a seperate bank account to buy a PowerMac in January! He was incredibly impressed with the ease of use and the power of the Mac!!! This was a kid who on Friday that Macs sucked ass and he would never be caught using one!
  • Reply 105 of 116
    The thing that makes me laugh about PC users is how many are brand loyal/proud (I got a Dell!!!), even though the only key difference between boxes is the sticker on the outside.

PC's are just commodities. It is like having a favorite brand of gravel.

How much RAM does it have? "1.2 GHz I think.."
  • Reply 106 of 116
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ventral:

<strong>

How much RAM does it have? "1.2 GHz I think.."</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds like most of my PC using friends.
  • Reply 107 of 116
    Working at a call center selling software it is amazing how many people do not even know how fast their computer is. I tell them you must have at least a 200MHz cpu with 48MB of ram and they give you that blank voice and say, oh gee I don't know if it is that fast. Whats worse is that when I ask them what OS they are running and without delay say windows 98, me, etc. with joy. Heck, if I used windows and someone asked me what OS I used I would say "I'm iBook and I use a PC" in a monotoneous voice in my counceling session. Whats worse than that? When I ask a customer if they have windows on their computer and they say "hmmm, I don't know, how do I find out".
  • Reply 108 of 116
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    "I don't have enough RAM to store my data"
  • Reply 109 of 116
    Now, I heard this told as a true story, but it may not be, but it definitely could be:

A tech support operator at CompUSA (or somewhere like that) received a call from a man who said he couldn't get his computer to turn on. The support guy asked him somequestions and determined that he was using the right button, so then he suggested the man check to see if the computer was plugged in. The man said that it was too dark behind the desk to see whether or not it was plugged in, so the tech guy suggested he turn on a light. "I can't," replied the man, "the power is out." The tech guy told the man that he should put the comkputer back in its box and return it to the manufacturer, because he was "too stupid to own a computer."

They fired the tech support guy; if you ask me, he was right.

Then of course there's the one about the woman who called and said that the cup holder on her computer was broken; when queried about it, she described as having some stickers on it...there was one that said 4x...

...and the woman that was using her mouse like a sewing machine pedal...
  • Reply 110 of 116
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by SledgeHammer:

<strong>Now, I heard this told as a true story, but it may not be, but it definitely could be:

A tech support operator at CompUSA (or somewhere like that) received a call from a man who said he couldn't get his computer to turn on. The support guy asked him somequestions and determined that he was using the right button, so then he suggested the man check to see if the computer was plugged in. The man said that it was too dark behind the desk to see whether or not it was plugged in, so the tech guy suggested he turn on a light. "I can't," replied the man, "the power is out." The tech guy told the man that he should put the comkputer back in its box and return it to the manufacturer, because he was "too stupid to own a computer."

They fired the tech support guy; if you ask me, he was right.

Then of course there's the one about the woman who called and said that the cup holder on her computer was broken; when queried about it, she described as having some stickers on it...there was one that said 4x...

...and the woman that was using her mouse like a sewing machine pedal...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now those are really stupid PC comsumers.
  • Reply 111 of 116
    They're not stupid, they're ignorant. Theres a difference.

Most people dont care to put the time into learning dot pitch, megahertz, ram, etc. They dont realize that one mother board does not equate the other. All they care about is whether it will do what they want.

"Oh this one has a bigger number, it must be better"

1) Do they know a 1GHZ Celeron is not the same as a 1GHZ Pentium?

A GHZ is a GHZ in their eyes. Seriously, why should to chips with the same clock speed be different speeds when in use?

Because this whole system is screwed. A Measure of performance at this small a level is just plain stupid.

2) Do they know what RAM is?

I remember reading this thing about some guys girl friend who went down to get 128 more megs of meg for her computer (yes, meg). She went in, despite her boyfriend telling her that its called RAM and ordered 128 megs of meg.

THe funny thing is that she got it. The Manager understood the whole thing and gave her some OEM ram with Meg written on the bag.

3) Do they understand that MHZ is not the best measure of performance?

See statment 1

4) Do they even look at what the dot pitch and resolution on a Display is?

To tell you the truth neither do I. Do you know who I shop for a monitor? I go see it in action.

Do you know how the average person shops for a monitor?

"Hmm, I need this thing called a monitor as well right? LCD... that sounds high tech..."

5) Do they know that Emachines and PowerSpec and the like SUCK MONKEY BALLS?

As Ive said, they dont care. They dont think about wether it will last. Its like people who buy pintos.

Not many people buy those though.

6) Do they know how much Windows sucks?

Sit down and really use Windows 2k for a day or two. Completley customize it. Its really not that bad. Sure at times it runs dog slow even on the fastest machines, and the interface looks like this, but it isnt hell on earth.

7) What can actually fix on their computer?

Have you ever played Ragnarok? I think you might get long well on Ragnarok

Yes, Im just joking with you.

No one. Seriously, try to fix a windows machine, you have to be a bloody software engineer. D oyou want to know thw common windows fix? Re-install the system.

You know, I hated extensions, but at least they were DAMN easy to fix.

Now whats the difference between the average PC consumer and the average Mac consumer? The Mac consumer is more elitist and is sitting down right now with a highly superior OS on a machine that cost him over twice as much.
  • Reply 112 of 116
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    [quote]They're not stupid, they're ignorant. Theres a difference.<hr></blockquote>

True.

I'd love to share some tech support stories from high school, but my memory sucks. Though last summer this guy I know that preaches about apple to anybody who will (or won't) listen, claimed that PM's were shipping with DDR and that motorola and a teraFLOP desktop CPU in development. I guess mot just happened to break Moore's law about 500-fold and nobody knew about it. He's a computer science major no less.