Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 178
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

I know: Apple should agree to make Yahoo the default for people that are working from home.

• Reply 162 of 178
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    That's nice. I'm sure Microsoft wants Apple to do the same thing. Is it too much trouble to change the default search engine? It only takes 2 seconds. I think what they should do is use all three and filter out the repeat sites.
  • Reply 163 of 178
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Did you search for Google.com? image

Nope. Google will then "donate" to the DOJ and then suddenly the DOJ will investigate.

"If Safari becomes less useful as well, it's going to be third thing (maps, Siri, Safari) in iOS being second rate because Apple is having pointless feud with Google, and more reasons for users to switch away from what they already think is overpriced fashion toy."

This quote sums it up. It's contrary to the evidence. Siri is very useful. Safari as well w or w/o Google as default. Same with Maps.

Google's stuff has become second rate due purely to the fact that advertising is beginning to dominate everything they do and is interfering with the quality of their services.

Go on...

...cut the cord

...you don't need them.

• Reply 164 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBMT View Post

Not to mention, I went to the Yahoo homepage and the first thing I saw? A huge full-screen flash ad. At least Google's ads are unobtrusive.

Unobtrusive?..

...or easy to click on by accident.

Screw Google people can get by without them, who goes to search engine home pages anyway?

• Reply 165 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You never watched "The Internship"? image

http://www.google.com/contact/

...or if you need hlp with GMail for instance:

Tech Support - Call (US Toll Free) 1-800-875-1709.

email: www.techsupport247.us

or general tech help

Call USA 1-800-915-3608.

email: techhelpcenter.us/google

or AdWords:

http://searchengineland.com/google-customer-support-suprise-1000-reps-handling-10000-calls-a-week-from-60-countries-91616

Why am I not surprised that you have it on hand.

Can we use you for Google tech support?

Expand your role.

• Reply 166 of 178
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised that you have it on hand.

Can we use you for Google tech support?

Can I use you as an endorsement?
  • Reply 167 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Can I use you as an endorsement?

$$$

• Reply 168 of 178
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    hill60 wrote: »
    $$$
    That doesn't make cents.
  • Reply 169 of 178
    I was surprised too. If I remember correctly, Apple directed traffic there as a homepage back in the day. I just know that was my default for a while. Seems there was another as well, but I can't recall.

That would be AltaVista.
  • Reply 170 of 178
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    pmz wrote: »
    ???

Yahoo has the best Weather App on iOS, by far.

Depends on what one is expecting out of a weather app, but I agree Yahoo's app is very good.
  • Reply 171 of 178
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

did you care that text covers up her face? 

It was meant to be a joke in that it is the new default Apple iPhone lock screen.

I don't put too much thought into doing it.

Quote:

something tells me if it was a photo of Jobs or Ive, that wouldn't have happened

So yours is set to not cover Jony's face?

Congrats!

• Reply 172 of 178
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I love weather. I love weather apps. And Yahoo's is very pretty. But they're all inaccurate a lot of the time.

Way to unnecessarily quote a big huge, post and not have any reference to any of it in your response...

• Reply 173 of 178
    If Apple goes with Yahoo wouldnt that mean two companies share your data then; Yahoo and Microsoft? Seems odd to want.
  • Reply 174 of 178
    I'm just going to be in moderation hell huh? I can't be part of any discussion as by the time my comments post the discussion has moved on. What gives mod?
  • Reply 175 of 178
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

At least with Yahoo you get tech support. I've never been able to reach Google's tech support. Do they have any?

I have also had a Gmail account for the last seven years and had a small fraction of the spam (and spastic spam-filter) problems as with Yahoo and have never needed tech support. 

Not a popular observation on an Apple-booster site, I'm sure, but there it is. The only way to make Yahoo look good is to compare it with the steaming pile of rancid dingo chunder that was Hotmail (RIP). 

• Reply 176 of 178
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

FUD. You're stuck in the past.

Am I?

• Reply 177 of 178
    stranistrani Posts: 1member
    Well that would be interesting but it's a choice between evils in my opinion. As for Yahoo: I'm not too happy with them since they closed My Yahoo in my country. I switched to http://www.start.me which works as well if not better, but still not pleased with Yahoo!