New photos purport to show Apple's next-gen iPad Air with bonded display

Posted:
in iPad edited April 2014
Consumers hoping for an even thinner version of Apple's flagship tablet may get their wish, as a new set of snapshots appears to show a revised iPad Air display assembly with the LCD and cover glass manufactured as a single unit, much like the company has done for years with the iPhone.

Left, alleged "iPad Air 2" panel via OneMoreThing.nl Right, iPad Air front glass via iFixit.

The assembly shown in the images appears identical to the current-generation iPad Air from the front, but the rear reveals a new connector configuration. Additionally, the LCD appears to be bonded directly to the cover glass, a feature introduced with the iPhone 4, as noted by Dutch blog onemorething.nl

Chemically bonding the cover glass to the LCD results in a thinner overall assembly as well as enhanced viewing angles. Those who own an iPad and a recent iPhone can see the difference when placing the devices on a flat surface and viewing them from an obtuse angle.

Click to enlarge.

According to the publication, the photos were sourced from a Chinese display supplier. Samsung is thought to be the primary supplier of display assemblies for the iPad, with Sharp and LG also providing some units.

Little is known about the next-generation iPad Air, but it is widely assumed that Apple will equip the tablet with their new A8 processor. Well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities also expects Apple to bring the Touch ID fingerprint sensor to the iPad and upgrade the tablet's rear camera in advance of a late third quarter debut.

Click to enlarge.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Awesome improvement. IMO the weakest link in the newest iPads are the non laminated displays.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Great. The same too narrow bezel, and no doubt they'll slim it down and retain the same battery life, which was so impressive four years ago. Oh, and heaven forbid they do something to reduce glare.

Apple, for those of us who want something more useable, and are willing to pay for it, please make a device the same size and weight as an iPad 2, with better battery life and bezels wide enough that you're not constantly hitting buttons by mistake, or trying to prop it up in your lap so the bottom of the screen is actually visible.

I hate this form factor. The touch ID, which should have been on the current model, is nice but not enough to warrant buying one.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That Dutch blog onemorething is one pathetic place. I'm appalled to see it linked here.

Rumours on a new iPad Air are welcome of course. I don't think a better viewing angle would make much difference to me, but a thinner device overal due to chemically bonding of the cover glass to the LCD would make many folks happy.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's wrong with the bezels on the iPad Air? Why do they need to be thicker?
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Still happy with my 4th generation 128gb. It is fast enough for my needs.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

This Ming-Chi Kuo love-fest has got to stop. Predicting iPads are going to get Touch ID this year is like predicting the sun will rise tomorrow.

Here's a red x bedside all his incorrect predictions for 2013:

And keep in mind most anyone would have gotten right most of his other predictions, so I'll give him barely a pass on those. He also got the timing wrong for several things suggesting Apple wouldn't launch the 2 alternate iPhones on the same day as one another, and the same for the new iPads. Both wrong.

• Reply 7 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

Still happy with my 4th generation 128gb. It is fast enough for my needs.

The main noticeable advantage of the Air over your iPad is in weight, footprint and thickess. The Air with a leather case is the exact same weight as a 4th gen iPad with no case.

• Reply 8 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ignomini wrote: »
    wide enough that you're not constantly hitting buttons by mistake

Have you used the iPad Air or Mini? That doesn't happen to me. The device is smart enough to know when you're holding the edges.
    The touch ID, which should have been on the current model

Should have been? Why should it have been? Apple sold 51 million iPhones and 26 million iPads in 2014-Q1 so you're saying they should they sold 26 million less iPhones that quarter so they could put Touch ID in the iPads. Why would anyone think that makes sense.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignomini View Post

Apple, for those of us who want something more useable, and are willing to pay for it, please make a device the same size and weight as an iPad 2, with better battery life and bezels wide enough that you're not constantly hitting buttons by mistake, or trying to prop it up in your lap so the bottom of the screen is actually visible.

I respectfully disagree.

• Reply 10 of 65
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Great. The same too narrow bezel, and no doubt they'll slim it down and retain the same battery life, which was so impressive four years ago. Oh, and heaven forbid they do something to reduce glare.

I hate this form factor. The touch ID, which should have been on the current model, is nice but not enough to warrant buying one.

You blew your credibility with that last "touch ID should have been on the current model." There were shortages of sensors for the phones, remember?

I don't have an Air, but I suspect your problem with the form is a special whiney case, because you're not inclined to be flexible. Put it in a cover that extends the edges, if it bothers you so much. And the best way to reduce glare is to hold it away from reflection, not matte the screen. Sheesh.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Dear Ignomini,

Blow a duck!

Sincerely,

Tim

• Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Have you used the iPad Air or Mini? That doesn't happen to me. The device is smart enough to know when you're holding the edges.

Should have been? Why should it have been? Apple sold 51 million iPhones and 26 million iPads in 2014-Q1 so you're saying they should they sold 26 million less iPhones that quarter so they could put Touch ID in the iPads. Why would anyone think that makes sense.

Been using the Air since day one, that's why I'm not pleased. "Smart enough to know..." nope. With iOS7 scattering buttons all around the periphery of the device, I get accidental button hits all the time.

"26 million less iPhones..." really? They couldn't have delayed the iPad by a month or two? It was supposed to be the top of the line halo product. Leaving out a highly anticipated new technology was an unfortunate choice. I find myself using my older iPad 3 more often, specifically to avoid the annoying aspects of the Air and iOS7.

• Reply 13 of 65
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Why thinner? I don't chop meat with a tablet, and if I take it anywhere, it's in a padded case that's thick enough that the presence or absence of a tiny fraction of an inch matters little.

I'd far rather have:

1. Better drop resistance built in, water resistance too.

2. A longer battery life. It's now good for a day. Make that multi-day.

The same can be said about the iPhone. Thinner is not better.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Dear Ignomini,

Blow a duck!

Sincerely,

Tim

Very useful and informative, thanks.

• Reply 15 of 65
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Very useful and informative, thanks.

You are very welcome. Have a nice day. By the way, I think some Android ripoff tablet might be exactly what you are looking for.

• Reply 16 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

You blew your credibility with that last "touch ID should have been on the current model." There were shortages of sensors for the phones, remember?

I don't have an Air, but I suspect your problem with the form is a special whiney case, because you're not inclined to be flexible. Put it in a cover that extends the edges, if it bothers you so much. And the best way to reduce glare is to hold it away from reflection, not matte the screen. Sheesh.

Blew my credibility because I felt Apple's new halo product got shorted a highly anticipated feature? Interesting.

You don't have the device, but know I'm being whiney. No doubt you are fat and ugly, even though I have no idea what you look like. Does that sound reasonable?

I find myself constantly changing seating locations to get away from glare with the iPad. The MBA screen is far better in this regard. They don't have to go with a matte screen, just some form of glare reduction.

• Reply 17 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You are very welcome. Have a nice day. By the way, I think some Android ripoff tablet might be exactly what you are looking for.

So I should sell my six Macs, three iPads and both iPhones because in one case I believe Apple could have made a better product. OK.

• Reply 18 of 65
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Am I the only one who still infers "MacBook Air" whenever they see Air in a headline.  Got my hopes up for a MBA refresh at the WWDC.  I need an excuse to buy a new laptop...

• Reply 19 of 65
    Maybe they'll keep the thickness as it is and instead increase the size of the battery (because of A8). Not sure about the weight though...
  • Reply 20 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Dear Ignomini,

Blow a duck!

Sincerely,

Tim

Come on! That's not helpful.

Been using the Air since day one, that's why I'm not pleased. "Smart enough to know..." nope. With iOS7 scattering buttons all around the periphery of the device, I get accidental button hits all the time.

I haven't had that issue once and I've tried to have it happen as that was the main concern with the thinning side bezel on the original iPad Mini.
    "26 million less iPhones..." really? They couldn't have delayed the iPad by a month or two? It was supposed to be the top of the line halo product. Leaving out a highly anticipated new technology was an unfortunate choice. I find myself using my older iPad 3 more often, specifically to avoid the annoying aspects of the Air and iOS7.

We're talking about a single quarter of sales needing nearly double the number of Touch ID components so delaying for 1 to 2 months of that 3 month duration isn't going to cut it. It's also going to affect sales and profits. They probably would have had to wait a minimum of 4 months (after the holidays) before it would have been feasible on just the iPad Air which means the only reasonable solution is to wait a full year when they can offer it across the board.

What's funny is that if they did delay the iPads or didn't have nearly enough iPhone 5S's for sale because of foolishly spreading out their Touch ID components to too many products at once people would have been upset by that (and rightly so). I'm guessing you would have been one of those people. So the only other solution is to not offer Touch ID at all last year so you wouldn't want something that didn't yet exist which would have hurt sales by losing one great feature in the iPhone. Bottom line is companies make hard choices and it's clear Apple made the right one with Touch ID.