Apple's maps trump Google's as hopefuls hunt for legendary 'Loch Ness Monster'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
One of the world's most enduring mysteries added another layer recently, as amateur sleuths have discovered what they claim to be the Loch Ness Monster lurking under the water of the famous lake using satellite imagery from Apple Maps, after finding Google's monster tracking solutions unworkable.

"It was purely by accident that I came across the image," Loch Ness Monster enthusiast Andy Dixon told the Daily Mail. "I was trawling through satellite transmissions of different parts of the country and I thought I would try Loch Ness."

"I could see something big under the water and I saved it to my phone. My first thought was that it was the monster and I contacted Gary Campbell of the Official Loch Ness Monster Club," he added. Unofficial clubs have yet to weigh in.

Campbell noted that the ghoulish image does not appear on Google's satellite images of the loch, only those used by Apple's mapping application. Apple's overhead imagery is provided by satellite firm DigitalGlobe, though it is not immediately clear what Apple or DigitalGlobe have done to make the combined solution more suitable for those combing for cryptids.

While the anomaly initially appears to be the wake of a boat, "experts" have noted that it is unlikely as there is no visible hull or superstructure. Imaging errors are also unlikely, as other boats in the area are clearly visible, making the appearance of a mythical creature clearly the more reasonable explanation.

"What ever it is, it's just below the surface and heading south so unless there have been secret submarine trials going on in the loch, the size of the object would make it likely to be Nessie," Campbell said.

"Nessie" can be viewed by clicking here on an iOS device or Mac running OS X Mavericks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Apple Maps. Where no Google satellite has gone before.
  • Reply 2 of 84
    That's definitely not a piece of driftwood! Sweet find!
  • Reply 3 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I think both Apple and Google source some imagery from Digital Globe. As they're purchased static images I wouldn't expect they would all match. Years ago another satellite image also supposedly located "Nessie". That one was seen on Google Earth I believe.

But dang, the satellite views being made available to the public are simply incredibly detailed. Some years back we purchased what was at the time a high-resolution regional image from Microsoft for use in creating land maps for a client. IIRC it cost us northwards of $700. It wasn't nearly as detailed at what we have now for free.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

What a disappoint. All this time we thought Nessie was a Plesiosaur, and it turns out be a humongous Catfish.

Lame.

• Reply 5 of 84
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    If you look closely, you see it's a ship.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    philboogie wrote: »

Well, actually. . .
    http://www.digitalearthblog.com/200908/nessie-found-in-google-earth/
  • Reply 7 of 84

Wait! It could yet be a plesiosaur form factor.

If you look at the zoomed image, the sections of body, flippers, and most of the tail are visible and look similar. The more "filled" section, circled in my photo here, appears to be 'wake' from where the creature is closest to or breaking the surface. Presumably that is the base of the neck, which extends down below the surface.

• Reply 8 of 84

Apple Maps showing you images of things that don't exist.  I'm shocked.

• Reply 9 of 84
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

There is no Loch Ness monster, and I question the sanity of anybody who believes otherwise. It's all superstition and probably good for tourism.

It's a lake. The chances of a big sea creature existing there, swimming around for ages and ages without ever showing itself, or without anybody ever being able to clearly photograph or film it is close to zero. And no, fuzzy and grainy photographs do not count, and they're as legitimate as UFO hoaxes.

Where are the dead loch ness monsters? Is the loch ness monster asexual? Doesn't it reproduce? Is there a family swimming around? Isn't it strange that no evidence of that exists at all, even though it's a lake, not a huge ocean.

I'll change my mind when there is legitimate, scientific proof. Show me a dead loch ness monster, and conduct an autopsy. Same goes for aliens.

• Reply 10 of 84
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member
    Actually, I think it's the face of Jesus. Like I saw on my toast this morning.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Around my mother's house, which it out in the wild country, Google Maps shows very low resolution satellite imagery, houses are about a pixel wide. Apple maps on the other hand shows detailed high resolution imagery, though it's black and white! :)
  • Reply 12 of 84
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    So... a vague photo that could be anything, which has gone through dozens of human hands and dozens of processing steps, including major incentive for pranking, is now considered "evidence." Cool.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    apple ][ wrote: »
    There is no Loch Ness monster, and I question the sanity of anybody who believes otherwise. It's all superstition and probably good for tourism.

It's a lake. The chances of a big sea creature existing there, swimming around for ages and ages without ever showing itself, or without anybody ever being able to clearly photograph or film it is close to zero. And no, fuzzy and grainy photographs do not count, and they're as legitimate as UFO hoaxes.

Where are the dead loch ness monsters? Is the loch ness monster asexual? Doesn't it reproduce? Is there a family swimming around? Isn't it strange that no evidence of that exists at all, even though it's a lake, not a huge ocean.

I'll change my mind when there is legitimate, scientific proof. Show me a dead loch ness monster, and conduct an autopsy. Same goes for aliens.
    People would have said same about giant squids.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

People would have said same about giant squids.

Except the oceans are vast and deep, lots of things could be swimming around there.

• Reply 15 of 84
    If you look closely, you see it's Bigfoot.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    "Nessie" can be viewed by clicking here on an iOS device or Mac running OS X Mavericks.

That's a joke...I click the link and I get google maps inside apple insider. I thought it was supposed to open in Apple's maps app?
  • Reply 17 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

LOL why would anyone show you anything of the sort? I agree with you I just think the last point is funny. If such evidence exists, you're still not going to see it.

• Reply 18 of 84
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »

Well, actually. . .
    http://www.digitalearthblog.com/200908/nessie-found-in-google-earth/

A bit weird to see you posting a link to a Google-bashing article, but I presume you were merely trying to lower yourself to my lame attempt at humour. For that, I command you.
  • Reply 19 of 84
    A bit weird to see you posting a link to a Google-bashing article, but I presume you were merely trying to lower yourself to my lame attempt at humour. For that, I command you.
    Thank you. :D

I've posted a less than favorable Google article more than once. It's seldom noted tho as most folks just aren't that interested in something they assume must be propaganda since a serious Apple fan wan't the one to bring it up. I'm much more middle of the road than some realize.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    zabrabzabrab Posts: 4member
    to borrow from Mulder ... "I want to believe"