Samsung deal with Swiss clock maker portrayed as an affront to Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2014
Samsung recently inked a deal with Swiss Federal Railways, the same organization that accused Apple of copying one of its iconic clock designs, leading some to speculate that Samsung may have sought the contract solely to make a dig at Apple.

Clock
Left: Apple's iOS 6 clock. Right: the clock design owned by SBB.

Earlier this month, Samsung revealed that it had reached a deal with Swiss Federal Railways to supply 30,000 phones and tablets to the organization also known as the SBB.

But back in 2012, after the debut of iOS 6, the same state-owned rail company had a public spat with Apple, in which the SBB accused the iPhone maker of stealing its iconic clock face design created in 1944 by Swiss engineer Hans Hilfiker. The clock remains the property of SBB, and is still used in the Swiss operation's train stations, and the clock design Apple had used in iOS 6 bore a striking resemblance.

Apple eventually paid $21 million to the SBB in late 2012 to license the clock design. And it's because of that dispute and subsequent payment that Bloomberg suggested this week that Samsung's new deal with the SBB was a way for the South Korean electronics maker to "stick it" to Apple.

Adding to their suspicion is the fact that Samsung made the announcement just as the company's highly publicized patent infringement trial with Apple is getting underway. Neither Samsung nor Apple would comment on the matter, but a spokesperson for Swiss Railways told Bloomberg that Samsung made the best offer.

The SBB plans to use the Samsung Galaxy lineup of tablets and phones for employee communications, ticket purchasing and other services as part of the contract.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    Ahh - as far as "sticking it" to Apple, I think this is kind of a weak effort. Making a better phone than Apple without copying their tech would be much more effective.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I haven't travelled on any Swiss Railways yet, but it's only natural to conclude that customers from now on will experience more delays, interrupted service and maybe even a few derailments, since saving a few pennies is their main priority.

I can understand certain people choosing Samsung, such as people on welfare, and people who don't have bank accounts, but there is no excuse for any business to be choosing Samsung. That tells me all that I need to know about that business. 

It's like when I walk into a restaurant, I expect them to serve coke, as in coca cola, the real deal. I don't care if they made some deal with Pepsi that saved them money and they don't serve coke. I won't be coming back to that restaurant. 

It's the same thing with tablets, I expect to only see iPads, the real deal. I don't care if they got some cheap junk from Samsung instead. They won't be getting my business.

• Reply 3 of 75
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Eayyy! I gotchr' rounded corners right here! Eayyyy...
  • Reply 4 of 75
    imemberimember Posts: 247member
    Swiss Federal Railways RIP!
  • Reply 5 of 75

How is this sticking it to Apple? Sounds more like they are sticking it to SBB. Or simply put, that SBB is getting what they pay for.

• Reply 6 of 75
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

Let's see the offer! Let's see how much money Samsung is making on the deal, or if this deal is just being folded into their $13 Billion advertising budget.

• Reply 7 of 75

God the determination to find Samsung doing something nefarious to Apple has got pathetic.

The story here is that Samsung have signed a contract with a large organization to provide some IT equipment.  That's what electronics companies do.

• Reply 8 of 75
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sounds like the Swiss clocks will be extra large. In fairness, the SFR probably do need paperweights.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Clock

The iPhone's looks better! i don't understand why Apple wasted time on this? Swiss clock is a dying company anyway 

• Reply 10 of 75
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member
    A mosquito bite from Samsung, just slap it away. Let's patiently watch and hear from the folks at Swiss Federal Railways; tell us how great Samsung is by texting, emailing, tweeting or calling using an Apple Device.

It's inevitable.
  • Reply 11 of 75
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I like the Dutch railway clock better, and it's more precise:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/16125/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 12 of 75
    The press is making up some imaginary "dig at Apple."
  • Reply 13 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Stick it to Apple? I'm sure there's an even lower-profile way to do so, but this one would still be a poor choice for thumbing their nose. Who even knows the back-story with Apple and SBB? A few readers of Apple tech forums. Big deal.

[I]If[/I] there was any "sticking it to Apple" going on I'd think it was more likely SBB perhaps not entirely pleased with their previous Apple negotiations.
  • Reply 14 of 75
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It's nice artistically (and Apple did steal it should indeed have paid) but Apple doesn't use it anymore.The iOS 7 clock design is more usable to me, without the weird second hand.

And I really don't think Samsung decided to accept the deal to "stick it to Apple." Why would they have walked away from a sale otherwise? If they found a customer willing to buy, then that's that.

As for the timing, that involves two parties. I seriously doubt Samsung would mess with negotiations to say "can we do this later when it will make a big public PR splash concerning our case with Apple?"... especially since it makes no such PR splash at all.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I get this feeling like Samsung's goal is to get under the skin of Apple executives and Apple fans, and it sure seems to be working. I'd love it if Apple fan sites would ignore Samsung rather than give it the attention it's looking for.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I like the Dutch railway clock better, and it's more precise:

00:00:01

Don't shoot me for it but i find this more usefull

• Reply 17 of 75
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    imember wrote: »
    Don't shoot me for it but i find this more usefull

Of course I won't. But I'm I'm nostalgic, and like old design.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member

Even if it cost 5% more on devices, Apple must dump Samsung at all cost, it's not funny anymore. In short Apple must treat their competition as competition no more support or help. That also includes Google and Amazon.

• Reply 19 of 75
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I haven't travelled on any Swiss Railways yet, but it's only natural to conclude that customers from now on will experience more delays, interrupted service and maybe even a few derailments....
    How so?
  • Reply 20 of 75
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

God the determination to find Samsung doing something nefarious to Apple has got pathetic.

The story here is that Samsung have signed a contract with a large organization to provide some IT equipment.  That's what electronics companies do.

Have to agree. AI is becoming less and less credible with articles that look like they're written by a 12 year old and would be too shill-like to even be pushed out by Apple's PR department. I used to come here for Apple-friendly articles and the latest news. Let's go back to that, AI, and less Samsung bashing. You'll still get invites to Apple's pressers.