Samsung deal with Swiss clock maker portrayed as an affront to Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

How so?

The derailments thing is only hyperbole, but I wouldnt be shocked to see them having some problems stemming from the usage of Android. We all know that Android is the least secure OS out there, with plenty of malware and viruses going around.

Would I want to buy a ticket and give my personal info and card info to some clueless person entering that info on their Android device? I think not.

• Reply 22 of 75
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    It's so funny to see how you guys try and spin everything. Over on other site they have a much different point of view including how they word the headlines.

Apple Ripped Off This Clock Design For The iPad And Now The Owners Have Given A Huge Contract To Samsung http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-swiss-clock-design-and-swiss-samsung-contract-2014-4
  • Reply 23 of 75
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Possibly the most desperate attempt to generate news I've seen in years.

• Reply 24 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post

Ahh - as far as "sticking it" to Apple, I think this is kind of a weak effort. Making a better phone than Apple without copying their tech would be much more effective.

Agreed.  Not sure what point this would make to Apple.  It's not like they're taking away any real significant revenue.  I'm sure this was met with a mild yawn in Cupertino.

• Reply 25 of 75
    mauijoemauijoe Posts: 77member
    Just get rid of the stupid red dot on the second hand and it looks like every grade school clock i ever saw, problem soved..
  • Reply 26 of 75

Spiteful little shits.

• Reply 27 of 75
    123m4c123m4c Posts: 10member

Swiss Federal Railways,  30,000 Sammy devices, Good Luck with that !

• Reply 28 of 75
    apple ][ wrote: »
    The derailments thing is only hyperbole, but I wouldnt be shocked to see them having some problems stemming from the usage of Android. We all know that Android is the least secure OS out there, with plenty of malware and viruses going around.

Would I want to buy a ticket and give my personal info and card info to some clueless person entering that info on their Android device? I think not.
    Good points
  • Reply 29 of 75
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Samsung cannot stop being silly.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    You sure you don't have the photos swapped? Pretty sure a real clock is on the left and the digital copy on the right.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

A couple of years old.

• Reply 32 of 75
    ivabignivabign Posts: 61member
    I can now easily locate 30,000 swedes pining away for an iphone
  • Reply 33 of 75
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    It's so funny to see how you guys try and spin everything. Over on other site they have a much different point of view including how they word the headlines.

Apple Ripped Off This Clock Design For The iPad And Now The Owners Have Given A Huge Contract To Samsung http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-swiss-clock-design-and-swiss-samsung-contract-2014-4

It's BI. They write BS.
    ivabign wrote: »
    I can now easily locate 30,000 swedes pining away for an iphone

Swedes?
  • Reply 34 of 75
    Lol @ clickbait article.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Possibly the most desperate attempt to generate news I've seen in years.

You posted that too soon.  Right after this gem came the story about how Apple Maps trumps Google Maps because of a satellite image containing the Loch Ness Monster.  At least with this story there's actually a sliver of relevance to reality.

• Reply 36 of 75
    hdboyhdboy Posts: 7member
    This is hilarious and classic Asian gamesmanship.

The North Korean guards in the DMZ pull crap like this all the time to try and one-up American soldiers. The funny thing is, Koreans (North or South) think stuff like this is clever or means anything at all. Given the timing of this (with the current Apple-Samsung court case) and Samsing's pathetic new Web marketing pages touting its (really Apple's) "design" and "innovation," I chuckle at this and assume Samsung paid the Swiss to get this deal and rub it in the noses of Apple executives.

Korea is a country that emulates EVERYTHING about American culture in an all too transparent attempt to appear modern. I'm sure it means something to other Asians, but to most westerners, no amount of advertising telling us Samsung is a company of innovative and clever inventors will alter the reality that it sells derivative smartphones and tablet computers patterned after Apple's iPhone and IPad.

It doesn't change the facts. Samsung has a long history of copying other company's products %u2014 Sony, Motorola, Apple and most recently, Dyson.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    100% fabricated controversy / clickbait
  • Reply 38 of 75
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Stick it to Apple? I'm sure there's an even lower-profile way to do so, but this one would still be a poor choice for thumbing their nose. Who even knows the back-story with Apple and SBB? A few readers of Apple tech forums. Big deal.

If there was any "sticking it to Apple" going on I'd think it was more likely SBB perhaps not entirely pleased with their previous Apple negotiations.

Exactly. It's a reach. Samsung would dig in TV commercials. More eyeballs for the win.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

00:00:01

Don't shoot me for it but i find this more usefull

There's a place for digital and a place for analog.  For "roughly what time is it" at a glace a good old fashioned clock face is more efficient.  When I'm looking to see if I'm going to catch my train every day, looking at my analog watch (which, no joke is a licensed Swiss Rail watch with the red-ball second hand) provides me better information than the digital time.

I'm glad that Apple made good with licensing the design from the Swiss Rail folks (although the specific sum was never confirmed and was probably not 20-some million dollars) and I was disappointed to see them dump it in iOS7.

• Reply 40 of 75
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iMember View Post

The iPhone's looks better! i don't understand why Apple wasted time on this? Swiss clock is a dying company anyway

First, the two pictures are a lousy way to compare the two designs given that the quality of the images isn't comparable.  Second, the one that purports to be the "real" one isn't accurate (the ball is too large and the color is wrong).  Third, "Swiss clock" isn't a company.  Fourth, the Swiss clock industry (that has nothing to do with this issue at all) is doing just fine.