Apple's maps trump Google's as hopefuls hunt for legendary 'Loch Ness Monster'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    A bit weird to see you posting a link to a Google-bashing article, but I presume you were merely trying to lower yourself to my lame attempt at humour. For that, I command you.
    Thank you. :D

I've posted a less than favorable Google article more than once. It's seldom noted tho as most folks just aren't that interested in something they assume must be propaganda since a serious Apple fan wan't the one to bring it up. I'm much more middle of the road than some realize.

I have to admit you were quite mockable in the beginning, and it only became appreciative of your posts when I realised your weren't biased but just interested in tech in general, and what each company produces.
  • Reply 62 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Really? Rationale? Are you trying to convince a bunch of techno geeks that there is no Loch Ness monster? Get outa here!

Next thing you know he'll be telling us Sheldon is only an actor who has almost no knowledge of physics and that pro wrestling isn't real.

• Reply 63 of 84
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

umm..didn't some guys from the Loch Ness area admit a few years ago that they had perpetuated the fraud?    And they showed how they faked the famous photo of Nessie?

I think this is going to turn out to be the work of a practical joker -someone who embedded the image into the map. 

• Reply 64 of 84
    zzcoop wrote: »
    "The more reasonable explanation?" *sigh*

I never comment on these articles, but for some reason I couldn't let this one go. I did a few quick minutes of mythbusting and came to the following conclusion (your results may vary.)

I'm with you on this. The boat had to have been edited out.
  • Reply 65 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zzcoop View Post

Both images show Bigfoot.

• Reply 66 of 84
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    malax wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing.

Any article with the following phrase must be a joke: "making the appearance of a mythical creature clearly the more reasonable explanation"

Yeah, that was going to be my comment. Anyone who writes that seriously, doesn't comprehend the meaning of the words in use. I would certainly hope the article author was being sarcastic.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Both images show Bigfoot.

Bigfoot joke aside, THIS is the definition of reasonable. But when belief is involved, it doesn't matter how much factual data you give people, those who want to believe in BS will continue to.
  • Reply 68 of 84

'combing for cryptids'

Love you AI! Haven't finished reading the article yet, but had to voice my thanks for this phrase. 

• Reply 69 of 84
    ryasaqryasaq Posts: 2member
    It looks almost exactly like this speed boat on the lake just a wee bit away. Dang and I was hoping it was old nessy. :(
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/42052/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 70 of 84
    The shape of a ship is clearly visible. Apple erases vehicles from maps, so what we see is the ghost image of the ship, plus its wake. Mystery solved![IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/42053/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 71 of 84
    its a barge one tug on each side, for steering and with a tug astern for propulsion...
  • Reply 72 of 84
    emesemes Posts: 239member

So what this article is saying is that Apple Maps displays false information? How is this a good thing?

• Reply 73 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    emes wrote: »
    So what this article is saying is that Apple Maps displays false information? How is this a good thing?

Apple maps display information, the interpretation of that information can be false.

According to the satellite image provided by Google maps, I should be sitting on a bare patch of dirt, rather than the house which is shown on Apple maps.
  • Reply 74 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Apple maps display information, the interpretation of that information can be false.

According to the satellite image provided by Google maps, I should be sitting on a bare patch of dirt, rather than the house which is shown on Apple maps.

Google is still using the same Digital Globe image you originally complained about? Dang, you should have reported it before dumping all your Google services :p. Now we can't look around the yards, which might actually be a good thing as far as privacy so why complain? With that said Bing does a nice job with your neighborhood if it's accurate.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Emes View Post

"False" information? Well,

• Reply 76 of 84
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"False" information? Well,

Nice one, but there's a difference between believing a creature is real and believing that a screwed up photo is real

• Reply 77 of 84
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    No one believes it is real. It's a joke story.
  • Reply 78 of 84
  • Reply 79 of 84
    booogybooogy Posts: 2member
    Clear and simple: boat wake. http://www.southernfriedscience.com/?p=16928
  • Reply 80 of 84
    booogybooogy Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

But you believe in a god, right?

Why would one do that?