2014 Mac mini Wishlist

Comments

• Reply 1301 of 1528
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    frank777 wrote: »
    Well we're in April and still have yet to see a Mac hardware release for the year.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Is everything going to be shoehorned into the last few months of the year, like in 2013?</span>
    I really hope not! Much depends upon Intel and the hope that they have worthwhile hardware in the next few weeks. There are indications that Intel might have DDR4 RAM interfaces on some of the Haswell refresh chips. If so that could have considerable impact on performance, they won't be Broadwell chips but bandwidth is a big issue on all chips with integrated GPUs.

If Apple had silently updated the Mini last fall with the other Macs, how would that have interfered with this (apparent) coming redesign?
    This is a thing I don't understand either. Maybe Apple isn't selling enough to see an upgrade as worthwhile. Maybe they already have refresh samples and are so impressed they think the wait is worthwhile. Lots of maybes but no one really knows.
    At this point, I think Apple is just starving the market so when the new machine comes out they can claim impressive first-day sale numbers.

That would be exceedingly poor management. We will eventually see what Apple has up its sleeves. Given that Intels 4460t would make for a nice Mini entry level. Depending upon whom you beleive though Haswell refresh might not hit until June. So we could be waiting a couple of more months. That is if Apple is waiting for Haswell refresh.
  • Reply 1302 of 1528
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    They're not selling because they don't promote the damn thing. They can show a 15 second ad of the mini connected to an Apple display on a cool looking desk and it'll sell tomorrow.
  • Reply 1303 of 1528

They are selling.  Refurbed Mini's sell out quickly so somebody is buying them.

• Reply 1304 of 1528

That isn't what I've heard. Further it doesn't reflect what Apple managements has said. Management has characterized the market as difficult.
  • Reply 1305 of 1528
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That isn't what I've heard. Further it doesn't reflect what Apple managements has said. Management has characterized the market as difficult.

Actually it doesn't say much at all. If volume is low, there won't be many refurbished minis. Further highly budget conscious buyers are likely to watch for refurbished units so as to drive the total cost as low as possible.

• Reply 1306 of 1528

Not enough to make it a core focus as with the Macbook Pro. Promote the damn thing. There is no reasonable excuse to not make a damn ad. It just annoys me to no end.

I'd take one tomorrow with at least 8 GB of RAM though preferably 16 GB, a PCIe SSD (256 GB minimum), and Iris graphics. But since they are dragging their asses on it, whenever someone talks to me about Apple these days (like a co-worker who told me he got a MacBook Air or iPad) I lose interest immediately.

I have moved onto clothes to be honest. I got my Carhartt jacket which I love and was great on really cold days, and I'm looking now into selvage denim and nice button down dress shirts.
  • Reply 1307 of 1528
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Not enough to make it a core focus as with the Macbook Pro. Promote the damn thing.

It's very simple. Which do you think makes more money? Corporations like to push whatever will make the most money. If the mini was accompanied by extremely high volume potential or extremely low manufacturing costs, they would push it as you suggest. The one thing I dislike how far back they push its refreshes. Something big isn't really a good excuse for that. There will be future points where they can slip in a bigger update alongside refreshed hardware.

• Reply 1308 of 1528
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

I think the mac mini will be discontinued soon. It is not a money maker you are right.

• Reply 1309 of 1528
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    marvfox wrote: »
    I think the mac mini will be discontinued soon. It is not a money maker you are right.

I think there's still the possibility they are moving production back to their US factory. They sell roughly the same unit volume as the Mac Pro so what they can do is stagger the release of both models 6 months apart. When Mac Pro demand dies down, they ramp up the Mini units and vice versa. The Mac Pro is still at 4-6 week turnaround though so they can't ramp up the Mini until that gets cleared.

I also think it would be a good idea to consolidate into a single Mini model with a quad-i7. The unit volume isn't high enough anyway so they may as well try to push the entry buyers up to the ~$799 price point. This means they don't have to wait for Intel to ship lower-end chips and they have more freedom with what sockets they use.
  • Reply 1310 of 1528
    Marvin wrote: »
    I think there's still the possibility they are moving production back to their US factory. They sell roughly the same unit volume as the Mac Pro so what they can do is stagger the release of both models 6 months apart.
    At best the pro is an assembly operation in the US. Many components still come from outside the US. It would be very helpful if Apple where to itemize where all the parts come from.

In any event I'm not one of those people expecting an entirely produced in the USA machine. I really see much of the whining about where things are produced as modern but socially acceptable racism. It is racism made please ant by the perfum of supporting jobs in America.
    When Mac Pro demand dies down, they ramp up the Mini units and vice versa. The Mac Pro is still at 4-6 week turnaround though so they can't ramp up the Mini until that gets cleared.
    That is always possible and may be a way to introduce a dramatically different Mini. I can see the thermal core concept shrink down to enable a much smaller Mini with a very compact design.
    I also think it would be a good idea to consolidate into a single Mini model with a quad-i7. The unit volume isn't high enough anyway so they may as well try to push the entry buyers up to the ~$799 price point.
    I see that as a way to truly kill off the Mini though I can see a two model line up making more sense. The future Mini I'm imagining wouldn't have room for internal SSDs so the "server" model would be dropped. A Mini could easily support two TB2 ports in this configuration easily supporting a performance disk array for server duty.
    This means they don't have to wait for Intel to ship lower-end chips and they have more freedom with what sockets they use.
    Interesting that you bring that up because desktop chips are in the thermal range where they will work in a Mini. The problem for the Mini isn't the socket so much as the integrated GPU. At least one variant of the Mini needs Iris graphics and preferably Iris Pro, which at the moment means laptop CPUs. I could see new Intel hardware supporting DDR 4 though, reducing that need for Iris Pro.

By the way I have to agree with others, Mini suffers from a lot of neglect on Apples part. There appears to be no attempts at advertising tie ins and no attempt on the part of management to promote the machine. I realize that the desktop market is dying and has been for some time but there is still a large community of users that needs, wants or otherwise prefers a desktop machine. It is a market that will never go completely away and really isn't something Apple should ignore.
  • Reply 1311 of 1528
    kamyakamya Posts: 1member

there are many features in apple mac mini........

Dual-core Intel Core i5 processor

Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000

Thunderbolt port for connecting high-speed devices or up to two Apple Thunderbolt Displays (not included)

USB 3 to connect external hard drives and transfer large files

HDMI port and included HDMI to DVI Adapter for connecting your HDTV or DVI display

Removable panel that makes adding memory quick and easy

Works with almost any display, keyboard, and mouse

for more 

http://latestbeautytrendz.blogspot.in/
  • Reply 1312 of 1528
    I always thought the mini was basically a laptop mobo inside a different box. In the case of the i7, you are getting the power of a MacBook Pro for 1/3 the price.

As another said, it is not well (at all?) marketed.

If the Macbook pros get a boost, watch the Mini get a similar shunt.
  • Reply 1313 of 1528
    I always thought the mini was basically a laptop mobo inside a different box. In the case of the i7, you are getting the power of a MacBook Pro for 1/3 the price.
    The Mini is a product made up of laptop parts, that is what allows for its size but it is also what blows out the cost of the Mini. The laptop parts aren't cheap by any measure so the Mini kinda ends up missing the mark as a machine that offers high performance at an entry level price.
    As another said, it is not well (at all?) marketed.
    Just try finding one in any Apple store! It is a joke really. I honestly believe the Mini was developed to give third part sales channels something to sell. This is probably why many of the online retailers hawk the product front and center. Or I should say use too, much of that positioning is now taken up by iPads.
    If the Macbook pros get a boost, watch the Mini get a similar shunt.

This is the whole point of the discussion the Mac Book Pros got a boost ages ago to a processor with a much better GPU. We have been waiting almost a year to see the Mini get the same bump. If the mini ever does ship with Haswell it will be with a chip that was released over a year ago at the rate we are going. Think about it how long has the AIR been on Haswell, the MBP came a bit later but it has also moved to Haswell. What is it 7-8 months now since the MBPs updated. This is why Mini users are so worked up, it has been way to long and frankly Haswell was or is the exact type of update Mini needed. Haswell would have addressed the machines anemic GPU performance making it slightly easier to accept the price.
  • Reply 1314 of 1528
    Duplicate!

I must say AI forums have been screwed up for the last two days. Very strange behavior.
  • Reply 1315 of 1528

The Mac Mini has good quality control.They use excellent parts also.

• Reply 1316 of 1528
    If Apple wants me to use their Mavericks OS, they have to give me a new mini. I'm happy with Lion right now though.
  • Reply 1317 of 1528

I agree with you also. Lion is good enough for me.

• Reply 1318 of 1528
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think there's still the possibility they are moving production back to their US factory. They sell roughly the same unit volume as the Mac Pro so what they can do is stagger the release of both models 6 months apart. When Mac Pro demand dies down, they ramp up the Mini units and vice versa. The Mac Pro is still at 4-6 week turnaround though so they can't ramp up the Mini until that gets cleared.

I also think it would be a good idea to consolidate into a single Mini model with a quad-i7. The unit volume isn't high enough anyway so they may as well try to push the entry buyers up to the ~$799 price point. This means they don't have to wait for Intel to ship lower-end chips and they have more freedom with what sockets they use.

That's so sad. I need newer Macs and faster chips and I can't keep laying out $1500 to $2500 every year or two. The Mac mini serves my purposes so well.

Please Apple, please keep this machine alive, and relevant. Please make a new quad core model with Iris Pro graphics. At least one more. That machine will last me a while.

• Reply 1319 of 1528
    marvfox wrote: »
    I agree with you also. Lion is good enough for me.

Actually once you try Mavericks you won't go back, it is a highly recommended update. Especially for anybody interested in better video performance. I'm running a rather old MBP and have been very happy with the update.
  • Reply 1320 of 1528
    pmz wrote: »
    That's so sad. I need newer Macs and faster chips and I can't keep laying out $1500 to $2500 every year or two. The Mac mini serves my purposes so well.
    Why would you even do that (layout that much cash every year for a computer)? Honestly if you have a compelling need to upgrade every year you are buying the wrong machine.
    Please Apple, please keep this machine alive, and relevant. Please make a new quad core model with Iris Pro graphics. At least one more. That machine will last me a while.

Well obviously something is up here as we would have seem a Mini update by now. I'm of two opinions either we get a radical update or we get nothing. I can easily see Apple replacing the Mini with a high performance Apple TV. After all it is often used in the context of a HTPC.