Nike to reportedly exit wearables market, fires bulk of FuelBand team [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92

Did Nike ever make a profit selling these fuelband thingies?  I've never seen one "in the wild" or even at the gym.  I see lots of yellow "live strong" bands, depsite the disrepute of the celebrity so associated, and they don't even do anything except attract chicks.

• Reply 62 of 92
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Did Nike ever make a profit selling these fuelband thingies?  I've never seen one "in the wild" or even at the gym.  I see lots of yellow "live strong" bands, depsite the disrepute of the celebrity so associated, and they don't even do anything except attract chicks.

This might be a simpler explanation. Also, an iWatch would almost certainly not be a 'bangle' (as depicted in various linked renderings) as it would require quite intimate contact with the skin for some of the possible sensing modes to function properly, contact that a watch strap or band would facilitate.

• Reply 63 of 92
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The vast majority of Nike's products are junk!! The last pair of sneakers I purchased haven't lasted nearly as long as they should have and they squeaked terribly. I only bought them because the store actually had sneakers in my size, normally I buy New Balance.

I have purchased lots of apparel and golf equipment from Nike but only their highest quality products so I can't speak about issues with their low end stuff, but the high end stuff is really good. I have worn their top tier running shoes for years, but recently tried NB 998, their top of the line,  just because they were made in USA. The best NB shoes available and they have all kinds of defects in the manufacturing, grossly inferior to Nike. I'm switching back to Nike next time. Anyway depending on which shoe you are saying didn't last as long as you expected, I'd like to point out that high end running shoes are not made to last a long time, they are made for performance. Serious runners go through at least a few pairs a year.

• Reply 64 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    They're hardware engineers. Apple, at this point, has likely already locked down the hardware design of the iWatch, which is likely a more advanced device than the FuelBand. So Apple would see this particular pool of talent as mildly interesting at best.
    Go on Apple's website any day and you'll see job openings for hundreds of hardware engineers. These employees very well may have talent outside of FuelBand, and Apple may be working on more than just an "iWatch". I don't see the wearables space as just one thing. And if these are talented engineers and/or designers I think Apple should try and grab them before someone else does.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What about a health-related device, not necessarily about fitness?

well god knows I'm waiting for the day where a reasonably accurate skin-based glucose test will be available for diabetics (my father's been one for over 35 years) that could be worn on a band, but that can be a separate device. I'm not against fitness apps in such a device, I just wish they'd stop marketing them like they do balance balls. I want cool, geeky tech, not something to sell to middle-aged yoga enthusiasts. 

• Reply 66 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    well god knows I'm waiting for the day where a reasonably accurate skin-based glucose test will be available for diabetics (my father's been one for over 35 years) that could be worn on a band, but that can be a separate device. I'm not against fitness apps in such ad device, I just wish they'd stop marketing them like they do yoga mats. I want cool, geeky tech, not something to sell to middle-aged yoga enthusiasts. 

It would be interesting if Apple can find an easy solution for monitoring our dietary needs. Telling us our glucose levels are too high or too low could help us to eat at better times and perhaps not eat as much in one sitting.
  • Reply 67 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

You have to forgive Constable Odo; like so many others, his memory is affected by the fact that, after Apple enters a market, the world soon forgets everything that came before.

Also, Apple enters a market with 100% marketshare and it's ALL DOWNHILL FROM THERE. /s

What Odo doesn't realize is that first movers are also often first losers. Myspace beat Facebook, Yahoo came before Google, MapQuest before Google Maps. Samsung made MP3 players before the iPod, and Palm made smartphones before Apple, the Apple II came before the IBM PC, Mac came before Windows, and Windows and Windows CE tablets came before iPad. Heck, even the Newton came before the iPad.

That Apple can enter an existing market and change the way everyone looks at how products should be designed is a testament to Apple's design prowess, not some short-sighted strategy to simply be first.

• Reply 68 of 92
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I can't wait for this wearables buzz fad to end.

As for the "questionable" anonymous comments... It sounds like management in many places I've worked (the people in charge being clueless political talk jackasses), so I'm apt to allow it some credibility.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Fuelband needed to be $99.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    zaba wrote: »

Horse shit, Apple will reinvent the genre, and the current crop of wearables will quickly release Apple clones. How much proof do you need? iMac, iPod, iPhone, iPad. FFS

It would fit the trend.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

I can't wait for this wearables buzz fad to end.

As for the "questionable" anonymous comments... It sounds like management in many places I've worked (the people in charge being clueless political talk jackasses), so I'm apt to allow it some credibility.

Why do you think wearables is a fad? For a thinking animal like human beings, a computer is surely a hugely useful thing, and if we can build it in to our clothes, more the better.

• Reply 72 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soulsearcher View Post

This is what I also imagine an Apple device could be. It could simply look like a very nice traditional watch for example but would have all sorts of sensors sending information to your iPhone. It really doesn't need to be another smartphone on your wrist since chances are you have one on you. It needs to be a partner to your smartphone with many types of sensors that require direct contact with your skin. 

Imagine if you could adapt it to your current watch? Something full of sensors that attached to it.

Edit: like a watch-strap. You buy an Apple iStrap for your existing watch!

• Reply 73 of 92
    Imagine if you could adapt it to your current watch? Something full of sensors that attached to it.

Edit: like a watch-strap. You buy an Apple iStrap for your existing watch!
    With maybe tens of thousands of different watch/strap types I don't know if that would work, if Apple could build straps that are as versatile as that proposition would need to be.

I don't think it's going to make people just throw away their traditional watches either unless it looks sleek enough to be worn in many non-athletic situations while also providing enough information for athletes. It's going to need to be there and give all this information without being there. Luckily, that's what Apple excels at.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    undefined
  • Reply 75 of 92
    Tim Cook is on the Nike board.

Nike's ultimate goal with the FuelBand and Nike+ fitness software is to place Nike and its apparel lines squarely center of mind with athletes and fitness enthusiasts (Nike Apparel's target market).

One of Apple's goals with the iWatch and other wearables (earbuds, for example) is to enter the market for biometrics with a focus on health and fitness.

No doubt Apple and Nike management sees that both companies can achieve their goals more efficiently through a close partnership that pairs Apple's world class hardware and software platform with Nike's strong affiliation with health and fitness and trusted brand name in those spaces. Any overlap in that relationship, such as Nike building their own hardware, is wasted effort, fundamentally inefficient, and unfocused. Play to your strengths is likely the meme driving the relationship between these two companies. And that means Apple and Nike are forging a long-term partnership where Nike's brand is front and center in Apple's wearable offerings.

I agree radar...well said! Again, Nike's attempts at hardware leave a lot to be desired! :)
  • Reply 76 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    And that means Apple and Nike are forging a long-term partnership where Nike's brand is front and center in Apple's wearable offerings.

Does Apple typically do long-term partnerships? Serious question. Seems as a general rule if they identify a particularly valuable service or component from a partner they try to create their own or at least spread it around rather than be dependent. I'd be a little surprised if Nike views themselves as a long-term partner. FWIW I noted Nike is advertising for a Senior Android Engineer along with several openings for other Android engineering positions in their Digital Sport group.

And for those that missed the article update Nike denies they're abandoning the Fuelband. Then again they wouldn't be the first to deny a rumor that turns out to have been accurate.
  • Reply 77 of 92
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Does Apple typically do long-term partnerships? Serious question.

Besides Nike there is Imagination Technologies, Intel, the record labels, the movie studios, the cellular carriers, all the Maps partners (TomTom to Yelp), Yahoo, Google, MS, Wolfram-Alpha, Foxconn, Wintek, TPK Holdings, Quanta, Toshiba, Broadcom, ARM, Catcher, Dragon Dictation, TBWA\Chiat\Day, and, of course, Samsung.

Those are just a few.
  • Reply 78 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Besides Nike there is Imagination Technologies, Intel, the record labels, the movie studios, the cellular carriers, all the Maps partners (TomTom to Yelp), Yahoo, Google, MS, Wolfram-Alpha, Foxconn, Wintek, TPK Holdings, Quanta, Toshiba, Broadcom, ARM, Catcher, Dragon Dictation, TBWA\Chiat\Day, and, of course, Samsung.

Those are just a few.

Thanks Soli. A few on that list would fall into the "spread it around so as not to be too dependent" or "trying to replace them altogether" category wouldn't they? Yahoo, Google, MS, Foxconn, Quanta, Toshiba, Samsung. . . But you're right that Apple does have a fair number of "partners" that have stuck around a few years now. Thanks! Glad I asked the question.
  • Reply 79 of 92
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Thanks Soli. A few on that list would fall into the "spread it around so as not to be too dependent" category wouldn't they? Yahoo, Google, MS, Foxconn, Quanta, Toshiba, Samsung. . . But you're right that Apple does have a fair number of "partners" that have stuck around a few years now. Thanks! Glad I asked the question.

Some, like Toshiba and Samsung when talking about displays and SSDs, yes.

Others, like Yahoo, Google and MS, I can only think of specific categorical uses for Apple even though there are competitors they could use in negotiating terms. For example, Apple uses Yahoo for weather and stocks, Google for the default search in Safari, and Bing for the default search for Siri. There is no reason to spread out their suppliers for a SW service like they do with some of their HW suppliers.

I wonder how hard AMD has tried to get with Apple to supply CPUs. They are exclusively Intel CPUs on Macs but they do have contracts with AMD for GPUs. I wonder if it's just because Intel is willing to give them deals that AMD can't match and/or if there is a HW advantage that AMD can't match.

AMD and Nvidia GPUs seem less like "spread it around" partners but some odd alternating partner where one year they favour one heavily and the next the other for discreet GPUs.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Same thing for cell phones...

And music players