Traffic from Apple's unannounced iOS 8, OS X 10.10 remains steady ahead of WWDC 2014

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    false
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Sure there is. If you check out previous OS versions you see Apple focusing on major foundation changes with one revision and then major UI changes in the next revision, usually containing the same name as the previous revision.

2) Not sure how I can be misapplying the two separate but connected onomatopoeic sounds made by a clock. It's not literally ticking and tocking sounds, just as it's not literally ticking and tocking sounds with Intel's tick/tock method to represent die shrink/new architecture.

By the same token that you can misapply "onomatopoeic" which can be used as an adjective to sound as it literally means to create a (new) name.

In terms of the OS, I will maintain you are pulling the tick tock thing out of thin air. With the exception of snow leopard there has never been a clear cut tick and tock strategy for OS X. Ml and mavericks have both been tocks to Lion's tick, but they are also ticks for a further tock... It's a misapplied term to describe something that's not even taking place...
  • Reply 62 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    joefrank wrote: »
    false
    By the same token that you can misapply "onomatopoeic" which can be used as an adjective to sound as it literally means to create a (new) name.

onomatopoeia |?än??mat??p??, -?mät?-|
    noun
    the formation of a word from a sound associated with what is named (e.g., cuckoo, sizzle, tick-tock).

onomatopoeic |?än??mat??p?-ik, -?mät?-|
    adjective
    using or relating to onomatopoeia:

Just because an OS doesn't make an actual tick-tock sound doesn't mean I can't apply the sound from a clock. It also means that Intel isn't using wrong because their chips aren't making actual tick-tock sounds when the etymology of the term is clearly the imitative sound of a clock.
    In terms of the OS, I will maintain you are pulling the tick tock thing out of thin air. With the exception of snow leopard there has never been a clear cut tick and tock strategy for OS X. Ml and mavericks have both been tocks to Lion's tick, but they are also ticks for a further tock... It's a misapplied term to describe something that's not even taking place...

1) So when I say it it's pulling it out of thin air but you when you say it's fact with Snow Leopard it's fact?

2) I say it's taking place and I have used Apple's past releases to clearly show they change up their focus with Mac OS X. Your assertion that I can't use it because Apple hasn't made it clear to you is absurd, especially when you stated in that same sentence that it's clear to you for just SL, which is even more absurd because you can't have both a tick and tock strategy on one version of the OS.

3) They also do this with the iPhone as they keep the same casing for two years.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Hopefully they'll have some sort of variation or improvement on widgets or continuously letting apps run on a portion of the screen in iOS8.  Assuming they are releasing a bigger screen phone they need to take advantage of what you can actually do with more screen real estate.  Simply being able to cram 50 icons on the screen instead of 20 would just make for clutter.

They need to have an iOS emulator as well. Widgets on the Mac are similar to the javascript "wrapped" simple apps that small companies make (basically like a web page with a few scripts in it that links data to the web). So they could make a common reference platform for "web apps" "simple apps and games" and then desktop apps. Only the last one would be OS X only. 

It would allow for more cross-pollination -- just don't screw it up like Metro and not allow users to control the behavior. Gawd I hate Windows 8.

• Reply 64 of 64
    solipsismx wrote: »
    onomatopoeia |?än??mat??p??, -?mät?-|
    noun
    the formation of a word from a sound associated with what is named (e.g., cuckoo, sizzle, tick-tock).

onomatopoeic |?än??mat??p?-ik, -?mät?-|
    adjective
    using or relating to onomatopoeia:

Just because an OS doesn't make an actual tick-tock sound doesn't mean I can't apply the sound from a clock. It also means that Intel isn't using wrong because their chips aren't making actual tick-tock sounds when the etymology of the term is clearly the imitative sound of a clock.
    1) So when I say it it's pulling it out of thin air but you when you say it's fact with Snow Leopard it's fact?

2) I say it's taking place and I have used Apple's past releases to clearly show they change up their focus with Mac OS X. Your assertion that I can't use it because Apple hasn't made it clear to you is absurd, especially when you stated in that same sentence that it's clear to you for just SL, which is even more absurd because you can't have both a tick and tock strategy on one version of the OS.

3) They also do this with the iPhone as they keep the same casing for two years.

I am sorry, I respect your pairing quota, but I am not sure what you are on about, don't embarrass yourself anymore with onomatopoeic, and it was an incredibly weak argument about tick tock. Next time.