Nike to reportedly exit wearables market, fires bulk of FuelBand team [u]

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Does Apple typically do long-term partnerships? Serious question. Seems as a general rule if they identify a particularly valuable service or component from a partner they try to create their own or at least spread it around rather than be dependent. I'd be a little surprised if Nike views themselves as a long-term partner.

Apple signs deals with expiration dates, as do all companies. But some they do have multi-year contracts in place. They've been partnering with Google since Schmidt sat on the board (still default search engine in iOS, still have a YouTube app in AppleTV), partnering with Samsung and Foxconn on the supply chain. Partnering with UPS in shipping. Etc.

Apple used to partner with Motorola back when they licensed Newton OS to them, and later integrated iTunes compatibility into the ROKR feature phone.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    9to5Mac is reporting that Apple has made another hire from the medical field, with someone who has experience with FDA approvals. I have this feeling that Apple is working on stuff way beyond a FuelBand or GearFit. And I'm skeptical that any wearable device they announce will have Nike branding. If anything Nike may be one of the first with an app for the device, if they got a sneak peak into Apple's plans.
  • Reply 83 of 92
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Just did it.

• Reply 84 of 92
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

9to5Mac is reporting that Apple has made another hire from the medical field, with someone who has experience with FDA approvals. I have this feeling that Apple is working on stuff way beyond a FuelBand or GearFit. And I'm skeptical that any wearable device they announce will have Nike branding. If anything Nike may be one of the first with an app for the device, if they got a sneak peak into Apple's plans.

Agree.  I think the "iWatch" may end up like Apple TV: not open to just any random developer.  Apple may want to cherry-pick a few high-profile brands to work with.  They'd develop "iWatch" apps for those brands to keep quality up and reduce clutter.  Wrist-tops have very small screens, so keeping it simple is extremely important.  (I can see it now: Samsung's Gear 3 "next big thing" will have a 4.5" diagonal screen and be a "sleeve".)

And, speaking of simplicity, "iWatch" could be Apple's next major step toward a "Her"-like future.  Little if any GUI, nearly 100% voice control.  Apps will evolve into services that Siri uses when necessary, and you control all the apps through Siri.  But that's for another thread...

• Reply 85 of 92
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

9to5Mac is reporting that Apple has made another hire from the medical field, with someone who has experience with FDA approvals. I have this feeling that Apple is working on stuff way beyond a FuelBand or GearFit.

Maybe Tim wants to cure AIDS?

• Reply 86 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Wrist-tops have very small screens, so keeping it simple is extremely </span>
    important<span style="line-height:1.4em;">.  (I can see it now: Samsung's Gear 3 "next big thing" will have a 4.5" diagonal screen and be a "sleeve".)</span>

Something along the lines of Rufus Cuff?
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-rufus-cuff-more-than-a-smartwatch-a-wrist-communicator#home
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/19/rufus-cuff-wrist-monster/
  • Reply 88 of 92
    The absurdity of that Rufus cuff is that you can get any number of arm bands that hold your phone and then you have this "cuff." I have a Nike arm band for my phone for when I run in the mornings and it is exactly what that is. But better because you don't have to spend an extra $230.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    ascii wrote: »
    I think it's short sighted of them. Eventually computers will become built in to our clothes, the wristwatch will only be a stepping stone, and shoes will be one of the first items of clothing due to the ample room in the sole. They should have kept up their efforts.

You've been watching too many old "Get Smart" reruns.
  • Reply 90 of 92
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Something along the lines of Rufus Cuff?

I think of Samsung does it , it will be to copy someone... likely like this with a big ass touch screen...

They will come in black for formal wear and neon for night wear at the rave.
  • Reply 91 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

You've been watching too many old "Get Smart" reruns.

I dunno. I’m 100% in favor of color-changing cloth, for example, either through genetic engineering of the fabric itself or by interweaving of waterproof electronics. The former’s going to be the simplest and easiest for both creator and wearer, but video playback on your clothes is pretty neat. 

• Reply 92 of 92
    cubefancubefan Posts: 53member
    I generally don't post reactions to ridiculous comments but this one really deserves a riposte:

@constable odo - your observation that Samsung dominates the smartwatch market is a pretty sweeping statement - just how big is that market exactly? Probably less than 1% of the market for the galaxy S4 - so a few hundred? Worldwide?

That's really going to prop up the hundreds of millions of marketing dollars poured into flogging android clones using stolen IPR.

It's equivalent to stating that Rolls-Royce dominate the market for cars that cost in excess of $500,000 - it's a tiny global market. Except that a Rolls-Royce is TRULY DESIRABLE and properly made.

And your statement, like the Samsung smartwatch, is ridiculous.