History, A&E and Lifetime networks launch on Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2015
A trio of new content options from A+E Networks debuted on the Apple TV on Monday, with viewers now capable of watching content from History, A&E and Lifetime through new dedicated channels.

All three channels launched on Monday through a silent update, and are now available on Apple's set-top box. Content includes popular shows like History's "Pawn Stars," and original movies from Lifetime.

The debut comes just days after A&E and History both brought live streaming of their channels to their respective iPad applications. Users are required to login with their cable provider to access the live streams, as well as on-demand content.

Apple has been steadily adding content options to the Apple TV in recent months as it faces increased competition from new devices like the Amazon Fire TV. New additions from this year alone include ACC Sports, iTunes Festival, WWE Network, and Red Bull TV.

Revamped Apple TV hardware is expected to launch later this year with motion controls that will allow users to interact with the device without the need for a remote control.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    This is great if you have a cable provider that supports it. I have Brighthouse Networks in Tampa Bay, FL and they don't. As a matter of fact, they don't support many at all. I HATE BRIGHTHOUSE.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    It sure is looking more and more like Apple is prepping for a big product announcement in the Apple TV area. They have been ramping up the content available on Apple TV for quite a little while now. When they open it up to developers and give it an 'App Store', it will be huge. That's when Apple will have the content providers really stand up and take notice. They'll all want a piece of the pie after that happens and Apple will finally have the content it wanted for its 'hobby' device. I believe Apple TV is going to be *BIG* for Apple by the end of the year.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member

Personally, I'd rather them fix the Dolby Digital issue on Netflix that the most recent firmware upgrade broke.

• Reply 4 of 72
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
    Useless if your a cord cutter.
  • Reply 5 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

Personally, I'd rather them fix the Dolby Digital issue on Netflix that the most recent firmware upgrade broke.

Let me call the whammmbulance for you. While you vent your outrage and raise your blood pressure I just let my AVR simulate DD 5.1 for the time being until the issue is fixed. A nice glass off Zinfandel helps too.

• Reply 6 of 72
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Might as well hide those apps. Sounds like I can't watch anything on them.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    Probably US only right?
  • Reply 8 of 72
    mspathmspath Posts: 2member
    More useless crap if you are a cable cutter.
  • Reply 9 of 72
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I can already watch all of these channels on my cable boxes, on all of my iOS devices and on all of my Macs.

I'd rather see Apple just release the rumored Time Warner app for Apple TV, so I won't need a million icons on the Apple TV homepage. At least the icons are very easy to hide now, after the last update.

• Reply 10 of 72
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

Useless if your a cord cutter.

My cord cutter?

• Reply 11 of 72
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    mspath wrote: »
    More useless crap if you are a cable cutter.

Don't cord cutters have friends or parents with cable subscriptions? ;)
  • Reply 12 of 72
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Let me call the whammmbulance for you. While you vent your outrage and raise your blood pressure I just let my AVR simulate DD 5.1 for the time being until the issue is fixed. A nice glass off Zinfandel helps too.

Simulated surround sound, huh? Classy. Oh, and by the way... Zin comes in glass bottles - not just cardboard boxes.

• Reply 13 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Anyone remember when the History channel was a history channel? MTV a music channel? Discovery a decent channel?
  • Reply 14 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Don't cord cutters have friends or parents with cable subscriptions? image

Not if they've convinced them all to ditch cable as well.

• Reply 15 of 72
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

~~Users are required to login with their cable provider to access the live streams, as well as on-demand content.

Well, when Apple releases its grand plan(if they have one) it sure will be interesting. For now... Im more confused than a 'feather in a whirlwind' (to quote Forhorn Leghorn) . At present, I have cable at home, so no real need for these individual channels. Sure, I guess I was in bed, and did not want to disturb some one else or have no bedroom tv etc... but seems to me to be relatively small use case. If I do use the app, 1) I have to remember the stupid cable log-in which is a pain and expires every other month, usually have to get a new password everytime I want to log in, so I just gave up. 2) if Im on the road and want to use it, with out wifi, it sucks up the data plan., then refer to password

That said, I could see Apple 'vouching' for its apple user with a cable company in some manner to make login a breeze. I tried the recent PBS(?) app, were I got a code and was able to verify I was a cable user.(forgot how that worked but it was pretty easy). Perhaps do a one verification, just like you do with credit cards. But that would require the cable companies to be in the 21st century... not.

• Reply 16 of 72
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

Simulated surround sound, huh? Classy. Oh, and by the way... Zin comes in glass bottles - not just cardboard boxes.

You're trying to sound "classy" as if Dolby Digital is great?  Dolby Digital Sucks compared to any lossless format (DTS HD-MA, Dolby True HD, etc)- so no need to act like Dolby Digital is so much better than an a/v system simulating it.

If you care that much about audio/video presentation, go pop in a Blu-Ray.  That's what I do when it's a movie that deserves top-notch A/V.  Not some spare movie off Netflix.

• Reply 17 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Don't cord cutters have friends or parents with cable subscriptions? image

Leaching off of friends and family is not cutting the cord. It’s being a parasite attached to the cord.

• Reply 18 of 72
    goodygoody Posts: 5member
    What's the point of these Apple TV channels. If I'm a cable subscriber, which I'm not, why would I watch the channel through my Apple TV instead of via the cable channel. Apple TV channels should be alternatives to cable. Apple should be catering to those of us who've cut the cable.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why do people complain every time Apple adds new channels to ATV? No one should be surprised that cable channels are going to show up on ATV requiring a cable subscription. If that ever changes it will be a major announcement because it would be a big f'ng deal. What is annoying is when you fork over $$$ to DirecTV every month but for whatever reason WatchESPN doesn't think you exist. Of course that's a DirecTV/Disney problem and nothing to do with Apple but still annoying all the same.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    goody wrote: »
    What's the point of these Apple TV channels. If I'm a cable subscriber, which I'm not, why would I watch the channel through my Apple TV instead of via the cable channel. Apple TV channels should be alternatives to cable. Apple should be catering to those of us who've cut the cable.
    one example, the HBO GO app allows you to watch entire seasons of shows. So I can watch all 6 seasons of sex and the city using that app, where as the VOD for HBO with DirecTV right now only allows me to watch season 1. These aren't cable channels streaming live TV. They're video on demand channels.