Apple now offering free recycling of all old Apple products in environmental push

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
Continuing its environment-minded announcements on Monday, Apple revealed a new plan to accept all used Apple products for free in an effort to cut down on pollution caused by manufacture and use of the company's devices.

Source: Apple

As part of an eco-friendly push timed to coincide with Earth Day, Apple announced it will take back all used Apple devices for recycling free of charge, keeping the electronics out of landfills, reports the Associated Press.

In cooperation with third-party companies like PowerON, Apple hands out gift cards for iOS devices that are in good enough condition to be resold on the open market. The new recycling program expands that initiative to include any Apple product brought into one of the company's retail stores.

While Apple will not be offering gift cards in exchange for older products with little to no resale value, the free recycling is meant to keep electronics out of landfills. Many devices, including those sold by Apple, contain toxins that leech into the ground if not properly recycled or disposed of.

As noted on a revamped environmental responsibility website, Apple is highlighting steps taken toward a cleaner business model. For example, some 94 percent of energy used by the company's data centers and corporate campuses come from renewable sources like solar and wind.

"What the company wants to do is use all our innovation and all of our expertise to make the planet more secure and make the environment better," said Apple Vice President of Environmental Initiatives Lisa Jackson.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Nice initiative that will bring people with non-functioning devices into the store so they can be tempted by new, functioning devices. ????
  • Reply 2 of 26
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Old Apple devices belong in a MUSEUM.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    dipdog3dipdog3 Posts: 89member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nice initiative that will bring people with non-functioning devices into the store so they can be tempted by new, functioning devices. ????

Save the planet and sell some more iPhones, sounds like a win-win to me.

• Reply 4 of 26
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:

non functioning devices?  :???: This offer is only for Apple products. ;)

• Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

non functioning devices?  :???: This offer is only for Apple products. ;)

Yes, the clear implication was those non-functioning devices would be made by Apple. 

• Reply 6 of 26
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

They build millions of devices. Only a handful are worthy of being in a place like the Computer History Museum.

Note that nonfunctioning devices are pretty worthless, even for a museum unless only a small number were originally manufactured.

The functioning computers are probably worth more to enthusiasts and collectors than museums. Don't confuse Macintoshes with Vermeers.

• Reply 7 of 26
    Yes, the clear implication was those non-functioning devices would be made by Apple. 
    It's a joke of how few apple devices don't work till date I'm guessing.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

I don't understand the comment... Anyone?

• Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

I don't understand the comment... Anyone?

I think they are saying the offer is a joke, because it is rare to find non working Apple devices.  I have quite a collect of old Apple stuff. Unfortunately, it all works.

looking at the photo provided above, its all non Apple devices. A sight which is all too familiar. 

• Reply 10 of 26
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Apple does not accept recycling in the store, except for iPods and Apple batteries.  The article is typical of AI, poorly written with no information.  The recycling program is a mail-in service and you mail your old electronics to a third-party recycler, PowerOn or Sims Recycling Solutions, and then receive an Apple gift card, if the device has any resale value.  All other products, including iPhones, must be mailed to their contracted partners.

http://www.apple.com/recycling/gift-card/

• Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Quote:

The article is typical of AI, poorly written with no information.  

one would think that would be a negative comment about the site.  What keeps you coming back for the past 7 years and 1200 posts?  Something must be positive to keep you here, or is the negative stuff that makes it attractive?

• Reply 12 of 26
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gtr wrote: »

Samsung has that covered.

SAMSUNG OPENS INNOVATION MUSEUM

Among the exhibits are Samsung’s innovations with electricity by Nikola Tesla Park, Thomas Edison Kim, and Benjamin Franklin Yu¡
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Among the exhibits are Samsung’s innovations with electricity by Nikola Tesla Park, Thomas Edison Kim, and Benjamin Franklin Yu¡

I get a chuckle thinking about how they prioritized things from top to bottom on this wall.    What nerve. 

• Reply 14 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Not a single word of that is anything they believe. I guess that’s why they made it white on white; the harder it is to see, the less people will pay attention to it and the less chance they’ll have of being called out.

• Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not a single word of that is anything they believe. I guess that’s why they made it white on white; the harder it is to see, the less people will pay attention to it and the less chance they’ll have of being called out.

they have these  spread out to fill wall space.

"Built on YOUR Inspiration"   "Designed for YOU" "Innovation for ALL" 

"Steal from the Rich, and give to the Poor".     

I may have slipped that last one in there, but it seemed like it fit the narrative. 

• Reply 16 of 26
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Sorry Apple I have none of your products I want to trash!
    - my 2003 G4 MDD is what I'm using to post this, plus do my income Tax on.
    - my yr 2009 C2D Mini (which my Apple dealer says is worthless on a trade in) does all my recent SW computing.
    - my really old Macs, going back to my Dec1984 Mac512Ke with your huge external 20MB HDD are becoming valuable museum pieces.
    - my early 2011 iPhone4 still works great with the latest iOS7.

BTW, all my Macs work perfectly, nothing failed after many years (7 to 11 and still counting) of hard use.
    Many thx for your very high quality products.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Samsung opening an 'innovation' museum at a time when they are currently engaged in legal action for showing a distinct lack of innovation (not to mention their overuse of the damn word at every chance they've had in the past few years) makes me think of the phrase: "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much".
  • Reply 18 of 26
    djkikromedjkikrome Posts: 189member
    Nice timing. I just finished filling three large dumpsters with old apple products going back to the early 80s that were filling a storage area that I needed to lease out. Probably could've gotten a $20 gift card for all those Apple II and Mac SEs.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

Nice timing. I just finished filling three large dumpsters with old apple products going back to the early 80s that were filling a storage area that I needed to lease out. Probably could've gotten a $20 gift card for all those Apple II and Mac SEs.

:wow: anyone else feel ill?   

either you are trying to tick people off, or you have no idea how much working Apple II's go for on eBay.

• Reply 20 of 26
    tastowetastowe Posts: 108member
    You are dumb android fanboy. You are not belong in the apple