Apple Store logos and employee uniforms go green for Earth Day

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2014
In commemoration of Earth Day, Apple Stores around the world have changed the color of the iconic Apple logo's leaf section green, while employees were given special green t-shirts to wear for the day.

Flagship Apple Store at Hong Kong's International Finance Centre. | Source: AppleInsider staff photo

A number of Apple Store customers and passersby have posted to Instagram and Twitter pictures of the specially decorated Apple logos. Additional photos, retweeted by ifoAppleStore's Gary Allen, show employees from outlets where the local time is already Tuesday (Earth Day) sporting green shirts emblazoned with the green-leafed icon.

As seen in the above photo from the Apple Store in Hong Kong's ifc mall, the top leaf portion of the trademark logo has been colored green, while the bottom apple section remains a standard white. A number of examples from a variety of stores can be found in the gallery below.

The clever design tweak comes one day following the launch of Apple's "Better" environmental campaign. On Monday, the company released a short video narrated by CEO Tim Cook touting numerous Apple projects aimed to not only decrease the company's impact on the environment, but to aid in the world's health.

Cook's ad was posted alongside a revamped environmental responsibility mini-site on Apple's official webpage that walks visitors through major company initiatives like hardware recycling and the use of renewable energy at data centers, corporate installations and retail stores. The well-timed environmental push was planned to coincide with Earth Day.

Apple Stores rarely modify the company's logo save for World AIDS day when the outlets tint the entire apple and leaf red to match a special line of (RED) products. Apple donates a portion of (RED) sales to the Global Fund to fight AIDS in Africa.

• Apple Store at ifc mall in Hong Kong. | Source: Jeffrey Yam via Instagram
  • Source: max7moon via Instagram
  • Source: jcbgrdn via Instagram
  • Sydney Apple Store. | Source: dynamicdan via Instagram

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

And the Mac is temporarily renamed the Granny Smith?

• Reply 2 of 13
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member

And how much energy was used to make and transport all those green t-shirts to retail staff?

• Reply 3 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

And how much energy was used to make and transport all those green t-shirts to retail staff?

Evidently not so much, otherwise Apple wouldn't view it as cost effective and environmentally worth while and wouldn't have done it.

• Reply 4 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I thought the bit at the of the Apple logo was supposed to be stalk not leaf.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

And the Mac is temporarily renamed the Granny Smith?

Well if you're talking about the Mac mini you could just call it that...its about that old now....

• Reply 6 of 13
    I like it. Here in the US a lot of us make fun of European regulations. There are 11 Toyota plants in Europe with zero landfill.

I look at one US McDonald's restaurant and the amount of waste it produces every day is shameful.

I applaud Apple for its efforts! :)
  • Reply 7 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That's going to be a nice collectible shirt.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    notcbnotcb Posts: 4member
    s.metcalf wrote: »

Exactly what I was thinking. Although I suppose they could re-use the tshirts for the next few years. Either way, it's more marketing awareness campaigning than anything else.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I thought the bit at the of the Apple logo was supposed to be stalk not leaf.

Really?! What made it look like a stalk to you?

• Reply 10 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Really?! What made it look like a stalk to you?

It looks like a leaf but atop an apple is the stem. I always assumed it was a stylized stem.
  • Reply 11 of 13

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It looks like a leaf but atop an apple is the stem. I always assumed it was a stylized stem.

I always saw the absence of a stem. The stem would be facing the opposite way.

*sigh* I looked for an old knockoff product that had an identical Apple logo with the stem drawn in. Can’t seem to find a picture of it…

• Reply 12 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I always saw the absence of a stem. The stem would be facing the opposite way.

*sigh* I looked for an old knockoff product that had an identical Apple logo with the stem drawn in. Can’t seem to find a picture of it…

edit: None of those.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

edit: None of those.

Nope. :p