1Password 4.5 for Apple's iOS overhauled with focus on speed, productivity

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
Popular password management tool 1Password was given a major update on iOS on Tuesday, with the new version 4.5 sporting AirDrop support, always-available search, and support for multiple and shared vaults.

1Password 4.5 is a free update for existing users, while new users can purchase for half off ($8.99) until Friday. Developer AgileBits said the latest version is focused on both speed and productivity, adding new features that are among some of the most-requested from users.

Search is now always accessible at the top of the "Categories" tab and each main category, while AirDrop allows users to share items more conveniently. The application has been given an overall iOS 7 polish, including its icon.

1Password 4.5 supports multiple vaults after they've been configured on 1Password for Mac. Users can add them to the iOS counterpart and switch between respective vaults in the application's settings.

1Password

A new "Demo Vault" replaces the legacy "Demo Mode." Demonstration information can be added as a secondary vault, allowing users to show off product features to their friends without revealing any personal information.

The new 1Password for iOS also boasts support for multiple Dropbox accounts, and the built-in 1Browser has been enhanced with easier logins, checkouts, and auto-fill capabilities in online forms with one button, similar to 1Password mini for Mac. 1Browser also gains support for swiping to go forward in back, while a new new progress indicator shows the status of a loading page.

Additional features of 1Password 4.5 for iOS, according to the developer, include:
  • Support for custom item images added via 1Password 4 for Mac
  • Improvements and bug fixes in Wi-Fi Sync
  • Faster syncing with smaller data
  • Tags added on Mac now sync with iOS
  • Language settings can be changed in-app, and support for Catalan has been added
  • Redesigned user setup process
  • Improved upgrade process from 1Password 3 for iOS
  • The app itself has shrunk by 34 percent, saving 8.6 megabytes
The last major update for 1Password on iOS arrived last October, adding Wi-Fi syncing and new 1Browser options. Version 4.3 also added greater compatibility with 1Password 4 for Mac.

A handful of minor updates were also issued on Tuesday to 1Password for Mac, with the new version 4.3 adding the ability to edit saved items and generated passwords with the 1Password mini plugin. Other new additions include an improved auto-save system, new keyboard shortcuts, enhanced search, and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    [@]SolipsismX[/@] Does this all work in congruence with iClouds keychain? Is this app really a good solution, with multiple Macs and iOS devices? Worth paying for?

I read the previous thread on the subject but didn't have time to participate in the good discussion you had with Apple ][
  • Reply 2 of 34
    I can't answer ur specific questions. But this App is highly recommended by Macworld magazine.
    It's always in their "must have" lists! :)

Best
  • Reply 3 of 34
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Hmm, I can see the 4.5 update in the store, but for some reason its not being recognised as an update and I can't download it, I only get the "Open" option, which opens the version 4.3.2 of the app I have installed.

I'll try a restart....

• Reply 4 of 34
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

I use 1Password and I love it. I have it on my iPhone, iPad, and all of my Macs. It probably is a replacement to iCloud Keychain (which I think sucks BTW). It will not autofill in credentials, but there is a keystroke on the Mac (Command \) that will prompt 1Password to autofill the credentials if 1Password is unlocked. It will also store credit cards as well. I think its well worth the money and probably the best password solution out there. It can be kinda confusing to setup, but once you get the hang of it, I think you'll really like it. It will create passwords for you as well as strong as you tell it to and they can be configured anyway you tell it. Then you're not using a password you always use so if a company gets hacked they don't have an everyday password that you may use somewhere's else. I don't know my password to anything online and again, all I have to do is press command \ and unlock 1Password and it will autofill everything I need, even my bank account which requires my account #, pin, and password. 

• Reply 5 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Wait, why do we need this, again?

• Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because you don't have to remember your password, credit cards, etc and iCloud Keychain doesn't work with all websites (and isn't as secure). Understand what the program does first. 

Maybe check out this article...it explains why iCloud Keychain is frustrating to use and its not compatible with all websites (most from what I see). 

• Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:

It also runs - with sync - on Windows and (/shudder) Android.

I use DataVault, but will do a compare of features as 1Password is cheap.

• Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

I believe iCloud Keychain also requires you to use Safari, which not everyone uses. 1Password works on any platform with any browser. So if you're at work on a PC, you can still obtain your passwords. If you're using iCloud Keychain only you'd be screwed. 

• Reply 9 of 34
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    philboogie wrote: »
    [@]SolipsismX[/@] Does this all work in congruence with iClouds keychain? Is this app really a good solution, with multiple Macs and iOS devices? Worth paying for?

I read the previous thread on the subject but didn't have time to participate in the good discussion you had with Apple ][

I certainly don't carry as much weight around here as Soli (or maybe I do if we're talking pounds/kilos?), but I've been using 1Password since version 2, and all I can say is:

1) great Apple developer and adheres religiously to UX guidelines almost flawlessly...
    2) ...while adding the finishing touches that make the chore of secure password, notes, and software license protection, creation, search and database sync "easy-peasy" :)
    2) both the OSX and the later iOS app have always worked flawlessly for me and assorted clients;
    3) browser integration across platforms is also very welcome for those of us that must work from time to time on the computing category "others".

Disclaimer: I don't work for them; can't imagine any of my devices without their software installed and at my fingertips; wish more developers followed their dedication and stellar customer support... that is if you ever need it at all.

Solid 5+ stars from me! :smokey:
  • Reply 10 of 34
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Because you don't have to remember your password, credit cards, etc and iCloud Keychain doesn't work with all websites (and isn't as secure). Understand what the program does first. 

Maybe check out this article...it explains why iCloud Keychain is frustrating to use and its not compatible with all websites (most from what I see). 
    ... and don't forget secure synced notes(!) Not like all of my notes need to be secure... but it is the syncing across platforms that is really slick, so why not make them secure?
  • Reply 11 of 34
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I have used 1password for years and would not live without it. In addition to keeping all your passwords and syncing across devices I keep photographic copies of Medicare cards, drivers licences etc. I have literally hundreds if passwords, some from very obscure accounts from many years back, stored. I occasionally clean up duplicates and once I know are redundant but on many occasions I have had to go back to a site and enter with a username and password and surprised myself that I had stored it in 1p.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

Also, iCloud Keychain is generally useless for password entry on third-party iOS apps. I still need my credit card issuer's password regardless of whether or not I use a web browser (infrequent) or an iOS app (my typical usage).

• Reply 13 of 34
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I certainly don't carry as much weight around here as Soli (or maybe I do if we're talking pounds/kilos?), but I've been using 1Password since version 2, and all I can say is:

1) great Apple developer and adheres religiously to UX guidelines almost flawlessly...
    2) ...while adding the finishing touches that make the chore of secure password, notes, and software license protection, creation, search and database sync "easy-peasy" :)
    2) both the OSX and the later iOS app have always worked flawlessly for me and assorted clients;
    3) browser integration across platforms is also very welcome for those of us that must work from time to time on the computing category "others".

Disclaimer: I don't work for them; can't imagine any of my devices without their software installed and at my fingertips; wish more developers followed their dedication and stellar customer support... that is if you ever need it at all.

agree with all if that. The only drawback is that because of Apple's restrictions 1p is not directly accessible from within Safari on iOS.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Because you don't have to remember your password, credit cards, etc

And Apple already does that.

…and iCloud Keychain doesn’t work with all websites (and isn't as secure).

Really? In what way?

Understand what the program does first. 

That’d be why I asked.

Maybe check out this article...it explains why iCloud Keychain is frustrating to use and its not compatible with all websites (most from what I see). 

Hey, thanks.

• Reply 15 of 34
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I certainly don't carry as much weight around here as Soli

Hee, you make good posts as well!

Thanks for these points. Seem well founded, good to read.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »

[@]macxpress[/@] and [@]ThePixelDoc[/@] sum it up nicely.

I would add that iCloud Keychain doesn't seem to have a good portal for interaction. It appears to sync with Keychain app on your Mac but that's far too limiting whereas with 1Password you can see and alter anything you want in the DB and choose where it's stored and how it's synced, if at all. iCloud Keychain also doesn't have store additional fields like your secret questions, which are socially hackable. For instance, some site might have my mother's maiden name might be listed as watermelon seed for all I know. An audit feature, unique secret questions, plus email aliases, like [email protected] are beyond the scope of iCloud keychain. Keychain on the Mac has a Secure Notes option but it's a pain to use compared to 1Password and it doesn't sync up to each entry making it far less ideal.

PS: This thread gives me hope. That other thread was literally scary the number of people that claims that internet security was so pointless that simple password used across all sites were just as secure as any long, complex, and unique passwords.

paxman wrote: »
    I have used 1password for years and would not live without it. In addition to keeping all your passwords and syncing across devices I keep photographic copies of Medicare cards, drivers licences etc. I have literally hundreds if passwords, some from very obscure accounts from many years back, stored. I occasionally clean up duplicates and once I know are redundant but on many occasions I have had to go back to a site and enter with a username and password and surprised myself that I had stored it in 1p.

Being able to see when you last changed a password, especially when out-of-site, out-of-mind means you're not going to remember the ones you probably should change first. Besides the audit feature duplicates, weak and old passwords their Smart Folders option makes it easy to categorize and update certain items.

They are really good at replying to users questions about how to use 1Password as well as requests for features. The first one listed is for a bug issue after an update, the second is for some general feature requests, and the third was a request specifically for a dedicated medical section where you can put in inoculations and vaccines and have it alert you when they expire*.

* Here is a simple workaround with a Smart Folder, also linked via that 3rd discussion page.

Now just create a Calendar entry that reminds one a month on the same day to check. Not full automated but good enough to remind you.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

I believe iCloud Keychain also requires you to use Safari, which not everyone uses. 

Quote:

And Apple already does that.

Really? In what way?

That’d be why I asked.

Hey, thanks.

Yes it does that, but only in Safari. So if you're using anything other than an Apple product with an Apple browser you're screwed where you stand unless you remember the weird password that was created. 

Some websites won't allow the autofill. (Maybe there's a way around this with a setting?)

Yeah that article explains some things. There are others as well that came out around the same time, which was when Apple announced/released iCloud Keychain. 

Does iCloud Keychain require iOS 7 and Mavericks??? If so, that would be another downfall of iCloud Keychain. If you haven't upgraded your Mac or iOS Device to iOS 7 or Mavericks for one reason or another well then you're screwed again!

• Reply 18 of 34
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Some websites won't allow the autofill. (Maybe there's a way around this with a setting?)

Let’s see… Safari 7 used to have a tickbox that said “allow passwords to save even if the website says no”, but ticking it FORCED YOU TO PUT A PASSWORD ON YOUR COMPUTER TO WAKE FROM SLEEP, which is utter psychosis.

I submitted reports to Apple regarding this, and they’ve now removed that tickbox entirely in the newest version of Safari. That’s not what I wanted–I wanted the password requirement removed–but at least they aren’t pretending it’s possible anymore. Wait, no, not ‘at least’. I want it to be possible. :grumble:

Does iCloud Keychain require iOS 7 and Mavericks??? If so, that would be another downfall of iCloud Keychain. If you haven't upgraded your Mac or iOS Device to iOS 7 or Mavericks for one reason or another well then you're screwed again!

That number of people is minuscule, however.

• Reply 19 of 34
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

@SolipsismX Does this all work in congruence with iClouds keychain? Is this app really a good solution, with multiple Macs and iOS devices? Worth paying for?

It does not work with iClouds keychain. 

It is an EXCELLENT solution.

I use it on my iPhone, iPad, and multiple Macs.

Read their blog. They are smart, caring, cautious, and innovative. This program has come a long way from the beginning. Worth every penny.

• Reply 20 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    macxpress wrote: »

That's absolutely annoying but on most there is a workaround. You can't paste from within the browser window but if you go to the Menu Bar and chose Edit » Paste it will usually work. I assume this is bypassing some JS code.

PS: I wonder if anyone has made a browser extension that stops the autofill prevention.

edit: It looks like there is…