Apple releases iOS 7.1.1 with improvements to Touch ID, keyboard

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
Apple on Tuesday released iOS 7.1.1, a minor update for its mobile operating system that's intended to address a few bugs, including an issue that could affect keyboard responsiveness, while also further improving the performance of the iPhone 5s Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

iOS 7.1.1 is now available through Software Update in the Settings application on an iPhone or iPad. Documentation accompanying the update says it contains "improvements, bug fixes and security updates."

Apple has said that iPhone 5s owners will also see further improvements to Touch ID fingerprint recognition after installing the update -- something the company has continuously done since the launch of the handset last year. The update is also said to fix an issue that could arise when using Bluetooth keyboards while VoiceOver is enabled.

Alongside today's iOS 7.1.1 update, Apple also issued Security Update 2014-002 1.0 for OS X. It includes Safari 7.0.3.

-- Tip AppleInsider (@TipAppleInsider)

The latest iOS update follows March's release of iOS 7.1, a significant upgrade that addressed a number of issues that had lingered since last fall's debut of iOS 7. In particular, iOS 7.1 fixed a number of crash-related issues that iPhone and iPad users were experiencing while using the multitasking view and browsing the web in Safari.

Apple TV 6.1.1 update is also available for 2nd- and 3rd-generation units. Apple has not provided any details on what changes it may include

-- Tip AppleInsider (@TipAppleInsider)

iOS 7.1 also brought improvements for Siri and Touch ID, and also set the stage for the launch of CarPlay in supported vehicles and aftermarket install kits later this year.

Animation

As for the next major update to iOS, Apple is expected to introduce its eight-generation mobile operating system at the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference. The conference will kick off on June 2, likely with a keynote presentation to formally unveil iOS 8, along with any other products the company may have in the works.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    The keyboard already became a lot more responsive on my iPad with the 7.1 update. Still, I take it, thanks Apple.

Hmm, 1.26GB for my iPhone. Are delta's only available over cellular? Not that it matters to me, but sometimes I read people complaining about size...
  • Reply 2 of 67
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    let us change the color of the keyboard to gray or black like in other Apple apps it changes....
  • Reply 3 of 67
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Hmm, 1.26GB for my iPhone. Are delta's only available over cellular? Not that it matters to me, but sometimes I read people complaining about size...

?

Mine is only 18.8 MB

• Reply 4 of 67
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
    Not seeing it
  • Reply 5 of 67

Why did it ask me for my passcode? Is that new?

• Reply 6 of 67
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post

I don't think so. Not newer than iOS 7.

• Reply 7 of 67
    It asked for my passcode too... and mine was only 28.8 MB. (iPhone 5S)
  • Reply 8 of 67
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    andysol wrote: »
    Mine is only 18.8 MB

Weird. Oh, and my iPad is downloading 1.34GB (USB>iTunes>WiFi>Home DSL).
  • Reply 9 of 67
    richlorichlo Posts: 46member
    I hope it fixes my down volume button not working. Really hoping its software and not hardware related.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    keyboard responsiveness is one thing Apple has going for it. Always much better than Android in that respect.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    philboogie wrote: »

No; just finished the update now via wifi on a 32GB iPhone 5. It was 18.8MB.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

28.something on my iPhone 5S - an update over 1GB sounds like you were not already at 7.1

• Reply 13 of 67

"I hope it fixes my down volume button not working. Really hoping its software and not hardware related."

Hmm if you have a iPhone 5 it's most likely hardware (well the internal dome button at least). Myself and few of my colleagues had a similar issue, even if it's out of warranty still try returning to Apple as it's quite common.

• Reply 14 of 67
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    The iOS 7 update is still wasting 3+ GB on my iPhone 4...
  • Reply 15 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maclvr03 View Post

let us change the color of the keyboard to gray or black like in other Apple apps it changes....

I agree 100%.

• Reply 16 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Mine is only 18.8 MB

Weird. Oh, and my iPad is downloading 1.34GB (USB>iTunes>WiFi>Home DSL).

iTunes? That will download the whole thing. You need to download it direct to the iPad via Settings -> General -> Software Update

• Reply 17 of 67
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post

First time I remember seeing this pop-up right before install also.

• Reply 18 of 67
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

Did they at least add some more contrast to the Shift key on the unlock screen?  I can hardly tell if it's active in low light conditions let alone in the bright sunlight.  Really starting to worry about Apple lately.  Almost like they're not using the stuff they're making.

• Reply 19 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

The iOS 7 update is still wasting 3+ GB on my iPhone 4...

Pretty sure they allow you to remove uninstalled updates now. Oh, but you may need to update to get that feature. :rolleyes:

• Reply 20 of 67
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by richlo View Post

I hope it fixes my down volume button not working. Really hoping its software and not hardware related.

:???: Have you tried restoring? Because if you have an that didn't fix...its hardware.