Apple updates iWork apps for iOS with stability improvements and bug fixes

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
Coming on the heels of Tuesday's iOS 7.1.1 release, Apple has issued updates to all iWork for iOS apps with unnamed stability and bug fixes.

With the background changes applied to all three apps, Pages, Numbers and Keynote, the software reached version 2.2.1.

It is unknown what "stability improvements and bug fixes" the updates bring, though it can be speculated that the relatively quick turnaround since Apple's last iWork refresh suggests the fixes may patch complications with the Heartbleed OpenSSL vulnerability. The company revamped iOS, Mac and iCloud versions of iWork in early April.

For new devices, the latest iWork versions can be downloaded for free from the iOS App Store. Apple's Pages is a 276MB download, Numbers weighs in at 239MB and Keynote comes to 456MB.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

I didn't know iWork for iOS had any server features to make it a suitable target for HeartBleed (even if we could prove it uses OpenSSL, which I personally doubt it would use).

• Reply 2 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    iWork has had so many significant updates both for iOS and OSX, great to see Apple taking these apps so seriously. The haters have been proven wrong.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    No they have not. All three apps are horrible usability wise. Especially Pages sucks a big bunch.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So does this mean my username and password would have been sent via these apps (or my AEBS which also got an update to correct OpenSSL) was potentially being sent as authentication over OpenSSL and needs to be changed after all?

edit:
    [INDENT][I]AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.7.3
    Available for: AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule base stations with 802.11ac

Impact: An attacker in a privileged network position may obtain memory contents

Description: An out-of-bounds read issue existed in the OpenSSL library when handling TLS heartbeat extension packets. An attacker in a privileged network position could obtain information from process memory. This issue was addressed through additional bounds checking. Only AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule base stations with 802.11ac are affected, and only if they have Back to My Mac or Send Diagnostics enabled. Other AirPort base stations are not impacted by this issue.[/I][/INDENT]

Looks like I'm good.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

iWork has had so many significant updates both for iOS and OSX, great to see Apple taking these apps so seriously. The haters have been proven wrong.

I love how you said "the haters have been proven wrong" and then immediate we get a response.  "no they have not... (iWorks still sucks)" .

• Reply 6 of 14
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member

I could not agree more.  Same is true for Calendar and Reminders.  Both of which have awesome possibilities but are unreliable and inconsistent.

• Reply 7 of 14
    sky kingsky king Posts: 189member

I was agreeing with DACLOO

• Reply 8 of 14
    You know, "sky king" and "dacloo"...you need to learn how to express your opinions more constructively. Saying that the apps "are horrible" is just plain stupid. If they truly were horrible, we would all dislike them - and that is not the case. I love all of the aforementioned apps and use them frequently. Apparently, I am not having the kinds of issues that you are. And since I find Calendar and Reminders neither unreliable nor inconsistent "sky king", it causes me to wonder if there is a problem on your end.

In any case, you might try re-phrasing your criticisms to include "I think that...", or "in my opinion...", etc. That would make a lot more sense, since you do not speak for us all.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

No they have not. All three apps are horrible usability wise. Especially Pages sucks a big bunch.

Hear that? It’s the sound of no one caring about your FUD.

• Reply 10 of 14
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sky king wrote: »
    I was agreeing with DACLOO

You've been hear long enough to figure out how to quote and/or edit a post.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    dacloo wrote: »
    Yes they have. All three apps are excellent usability wise, especially Pages.

I agree.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I could not agree more with Slurpy.  Same is true for Calendar and Reminders.  Both of which have awesome possibilities and are reliable and consistent.

Too true!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member

Pages just keeps getting better, Apple's decision to rewrite iWorks from the ground up will turn out to be the right decision long term. I'm always happy to use it, like Nisus Writer Pro or OmniOutliner it is a joy to use.

• Reply 14 of 14
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    dacloo wrote: »
    Yes they have. All three apps are excellent usability wise, especially Pages.

I agree.

I could not agree more with Slurpy.  Same is true for Calendar and Reminders.  Both of which have awesome possibilities and are reliable and consistent.

Too true!

While it's not cool to edit someone else's post I you did hit my laugh nerve by doing these two edits. Besides, a thread is likely to go nowhere when it hits off on the wrong 'message'.