Rumor: Apple taps Catcher for metal casings on next-gen 'iPhone 6'

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2014
A pair of investment firms believe casing supplier Catcher has secured a sizable chunk of Apple's anticipated "iPhone 6" metal casing orders, as the company lines up suppliers for a handset launch later this year.

"iPhone 6" and "iPhone 6c" concepts by Martin Hajek.

Both Barclays and Morgan Stanley this week said they are bullish on Taiwan's Catcher Technology Co. heading into late 2014 and early 2015. Both reports, discovered by G for Games, peg Catcher's share of "iPhone 6" casings at over 10 million units this year.

Catcher is a high-profile casing supplier for a number of tech companies, but Apple alone is said to account for about 40 percent of its total revenue, according to Barclays. Most notably, Catcher supplies the unibody shell for Apple's MacBook Pro lineup.

Catcher is believed to have entered Apple's iPhone supply chain late last year with the iPhone 5s. In all, Morgan Stanley expects Catcher to supply casings for 20 million iPhone units this year, including the iPhone 5s.

Analysts suspect that Apple's ramp-up of next-generation iPhone units will start to bolster Catcher's bottom line in the third quarter of this year. Morgan Stanley predicts that Apple will account for 38 percent of Catcher's fourth-quarter sales this year.

Apple is rumored to launch two new iPhone models this year, said to be sized at 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches, both an increase from the current 4-inch screen size of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities believes the new iPhones' bezels will be 10 to 20 percent more narrow than the current iPhone 5s, with an overall device thickness pegged at 6.5 to 7.0 millimeters.

Expectations are that Apple will introduce a complete redesign of the iPhone hardware this year, as it tends to do every two years. According to Kuo, Apple may move the lock button on its handset from the top of the device to the upper right side, allowing for users to more easily press it when operating the device with one hand.

Based on those rumored changes, Martin Hajek put together mockups imagining what Apple's next-generation iPhone models might look like. The images, published by NoWhereElse, show a curved bezel, thinner design, and relocated lock button. Accompanying them is also a so-called "iPhone 6c," as envisioned by Hajek.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137
    Wow looks pretty fine metal casing design :)
  • Reply 2 of 137
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    6.5 to 7 mm bezels? You might want to fix that, AI.
  • Reply 3 of 137
    crysisftwcrysisftw Posts: 128member

A larger screen? Am I really the only one who thinks that 3.5" iPhone is perfect for human hands?

• Reply 4 of 137
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    I don't know how Apple will manage to keep single handed operations on a screen that big. They will have to redesign not just the UI at the OS level but app developers would have to rethink that aspect as well.
  • Reply 5 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post

A larger screen? Am I really the only one who thinks that 3.5" iPhone is perfect for human hands?

Yes luckily you are few thinking about the grip of 3.5" human hands but for me human eyes feel better looking at the 5"5, for me at least sorry but Apple now is driving toward what we like and we are much more

• Reply 6 of 137
    Quote:

In short... yes.

• Reply 7 of 137
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

No, I think you're right on the money with that one, at least with my hands.  My hope is they can do this and somehow keep the same for factor by removing the bezel and possibly using it just for full screen apps, etc.

• Reply 8 of 137
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member
    I think the mock-up's shown are ugly. The rounded bezel looks band, the home button is squeezed in too tight and I think it looks too thin and hard to hold. I would take a thicker phone with added battery life over something so thin. Why does the thickness at this level
    matter so much. The 5c is thin enough.
  • Reply 9 of 137
    crysisftwcrysisftw Posts: 128member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

No, I think you're right on the money with that one, at least with my hands.  My hope is they can do this and somehow keep the same for factor by removing the bezel and possibly using it just for full screen apps, etc.

Apple is known to prioritize style, ergonomics and features. Perhaps the answer after all is to move to a larger screen, but as you mentioned, also change the UI to keep it just as operable. The current UI would be (in my mind) a nightmare to use on a larger screen. Who knows, may be Apple are working (I really hope so) on a new UI that solves the problem of single-handed operations on a larger screen.

• Reply 10 of 137
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

You're not the only one, but you're part of a ever shirking small group.

• Reply 11 of 137
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Can rumor sites PLEASE quit posting these Martin Hajek mockups already. They're not based in reality and the latest ones just look like an HTC One with an iOS screen plastered on the front.
  • Reply 12 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Can rumor sites PLEASE quit posting these Martin Hajek mockups already. They're not based in reality and the latest ones just look like an HTC One with an iOS screen plastered on the front.

Hey, I’m fine with mockups of all sorts, as long as they’re clearly and plainly labeled as such.

What we really need is a repository of information. Predictions from analysts (and the number of times they were wrong), mockups for products (and the final thing to compare with rumors), etc. Huddler provides the platform to do it (and really, if I was still… wait…), so why not?

• Reply 13 of 137
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Better looking artist iP 6 concepts please....
  • Reply 14 of 137
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

No, there are many. But I suspect that by far the majority of people are open to the idea of a larger screened device. I am also certain you will be able to keep using (and buying) your ideally sized phone for a long time to come.

• Reply 15 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Wasn't there a rumour of not just a moved Sleep Button but an additional button? I hope that is true and it's a dedicated Siri Button. I want a concierge button that will instantly call upon Siri as I'm pressing it down, not a Home Button that requires me to press it all the way down and then keep it pressed down for a certain time before it calls Siri.
  • Reply 16 of 137
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Not a single person I know would want a 3.5" screen for their next phone. I'm sure there's a few (very few) but Apple doesn't make products for just you, or the minority. I think it's pretty clear now tat the mainstream does not mind larger phones, and the fact that Apple does not have one has been the #1 reason they've been attacked, mocked, derided, and is basically all that their competition is using for ammunition. A reasonable person would accept that they SHOULD have such a device- not doing so is shooting themselves in the foot at this point, even if it was based on principles and ideology. Luckily for you, I'm sure they will still make 4" phones. 

• Reply 17 of 137
    crysisftw wrote: »

There is no connection between the size of a display and what is ideal for even the average human hand. First there is an issue with the diagonal size which makes no mention of the aspect ratio. For instance, a 3.5" 1:1 display would be less effective than a 4" display. Then you have the rest of the rest of the device to consider. For example, the iPhone 3GS with its 3.5" display is heavier, thicker and takes up more volume in total than the iPhone 5 with its 4" display. We can assume the display will be only on one plane of the device (which may not be for too much longer) we can then estimate the maximum reasonable size for a display for a given aspect ratio if we either remove or estimate bezel with. Now I don't think Apple can do "magic" like it did with the iPhone 5 again but with a thinner chassis, rounded edges, and smaller bezel it could make a 4.5" 16:9 display be about as functional with the thumb side-to-side as all previous iPhones before it, or at least make it a value added that an downside is minimal, like with the iPad 3 getting heavier and thicker but with the benefit of the Retina display on the iPad.
  • Reply 18 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is no connection between the size of a display and what is ideal for even the average human hand. First there is an issue with the diagonal size which makes no mention of the aspect ratio. For instance, a 3.5" 1:1 display would be less effective than a 4" display. Then you have the rest of the rest of the device to consider. For example, the iPhone 3GS with its 3.5" display is heavier, thicker and takes up more volume in total than the iPhone 5 with its 4" display. We can assume the display will be only on one plane of the device (which may not be for too much longer) we can then estimate the maximum reasonable size for a display for a given aspect ratio if we either remove or estimate bezel with. Now I don't think Apple can do "magic" like it did with the iPhone 5 again but with a thinner chassis, rounded edges, and smaller bezel it could make a 4.5" 16:9 display be about as functional with the thumb side-to-side as all previous iPhones before it, or at least make it a value added that an downside is minimal, like with the iPad 3 getting heavier and thicker but with the benefit of the Retina display on the iPad.

I fumble with my iPhone 5 sometimes because of it's awkward long, thin design. I never had that problem with the 3.5 inch iPhone 4. I guess I'm in the minority that would like the most-powerful iPhone in a 3.5 inch design. Text/photos aren't that much bigger on bigger phones, until you go phablet size. 

• Reply 19 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

the fact that Apple does not have one has been the #1 reason theyve been attacked, mocked, derided, and is basically all that their competition is using for ammunition.

AND STILL SOLD MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE, MAKING MORE MONEY THAN ANYONE ELSE, AND HAVING MORE DEVICES IN USE THAN ANYONE ELSE.

Since when has Apple cared what idiots have said about them?

A reasonable person would accept that they SHOULD have such a device…

No, a reasonable person looks at the sales and use stats.

• Reply 20 of 137
    hopeless wrote: »
    I fumble with my iPhone 5 sometimes because of it's awkward long, thin design. I never had that problem with the 3.5 inch iPhone 4. I guess I'm in the minority that would like the most-powerful iPhone in a 3.5 inch design. Text/photos aren't that much bigger on bigger phones, until you go phablet size. 

Are you sure the height of the device is the reason? It's only 0.37" (less than a centimeter) longer which when you divide by 2 for the top and bottom put it at only .17" (or less than 5 millimeters) longer on average hanging off your hand. And considering it's much, much lighter I'm not sure that there is any weight that can be attributed to wanting to take a tumble out of your hands. Did you consider the thickness, weight, or casing materials as potential reasons (in part or in full) as potential reasons for this fumbliness.